The Student Room Group

Sciences Po PSIA Applications for 2019 Entry

Applications will open soon for entry in 2019.

Let's get familiar by using:

- Current University:
- Achieved (Expected) Grade:
- Prospective Course(s):
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
- Current University: University of the Philippines (not the most famous in the world, but the #1 university in my country). I go to its flagship campus and my department is considered a Center of Excellence.
- Expected Grade: 1.29 (with a grade of 1.00 being the highest, and 5.00 being the lowest). I tried converting this to the American GPA system and it's equivalent to around 3.82.
- Prospective Course: Master in International Development
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: Currently a psychology major, so I'm a little worried about the disparity :frown: But I've taken plenty of electives in sociology, philosophy, and political science, plus I do some extra reading in my free time just because those disciplines interest me so much and I always try to incorporate them into my major courses. I am part of three student organizations, and I've taken some leadership positions in them. I interned for a UK-based international NGO for children and lobbied for a bill in congress, which was just recently passed on its second reading. I was also an exchange participant for a volunteer program in Athens, Greece, where I also worked with children for six weeks. I'm currently on my second internship with the United Nations Development Programme and I'm working on a capacity-building project with national government agencies. I'll be in UNDP until November, though they've asked me to extend my stay a little more.

Do you think I have a shot at this? I'm still an undergrad (though this is my last semester), and other than my internships, I have no other work expeirence :frown: Applying is already so expensive ughghgh H E L P :frown:
(edited 5 years ago)
I'll play ball!

1) I attended the University of Montana and earned Environmental Science and Education degrees in 2012.

2) GPA 3.5/4.0

3) Masters of Advanced Global Studies (Development Practice)

4) Seven years of relevant professional experience including:
-- Three years of service in the Peace Corps in Panama teaching classroom sciences, and working alongside Ministry of Education officials in the design or curriculum effectiveness. Proposed new science curriculum that was later implemented in public schools in the indigenous region in which I worked.
-- Worked with Smithsonian on the implementation of an environmental stewardship program. Developed skills in community organizing and project management.
-- Collaborator on the development of STEM curriculum and programs for refugee youth living in Lebanon and Kenya.

Could go on and really dive into my CV, but I'll just touch on those three highlights. My aim here is to refocus my professional breadth towards policy (though intend to remain in the field of education and international development). I got my application and references all turned in this week, so, we'll see how long it takes them to get through.

Good luck, everyone!
Reply 3
Hello, Sorry to divert from the topic but has the status of your application changed yet? I submitted my application some 15 days back only to be told that I have a couple of documents missing! Anyway, I turned those in last weekend but haven't heard of an update on the completion of my application. Don't want to miss the Eiffel deadline. Thanks a ton!
Hey Anweshaa. That's annoying to hear, eh? I got my application in as early as I could with the vision of perhaps hearing back faster, but having read previous year's threads, who knows, really? Here's to hoping they don't keep us waiting too too too long!
Hey everyone! Lauren here. Total Francophile and sooo ready to go spend the rest of my life in France. Sciences Po, here I come.

Current University: Valparaiso University, Indiana

Achieved (Expected) Grade: Consistent 3.7 - 3.8 GPA

Prospective Course(s): Master in European Affairs, Europe in the World policy stream

Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities:
I love writing and singing French songs. Absolutely in love with la chanson francaise. (don't have accents on this comp.) Seriously, talk to me if you like French music and we'll make a band when we get to ScPo! (I love Veronique Sanson, Juliette Armanet, Francoise Hardy...)

I am currently interning at the Department of State in the European and Eurasian Affairs bureau in the Central Europe office. I spent my sophomore year of college in France. While I was there, I actually interned at the CEVIPOF (centre de recherches politiques de Sciences Po) as well as at the Fondapol (Fondation pour l'innovation politique). I submitted my application today and applied to the EB and Eiffel Scholarships. I am a Fulbright candidate as well - hoping to have my Fulbright results by January!
Reply 6
- Current University: Miami University, USA
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 3.8 GPA
- Prospective Course(s):Master in Human Rights and Humanitarian Action
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: I'm from Brazil, I have been involved in 2 research projects - one in which has been presented and is awaiting publication, I was an undergraduate teacher assistant, and I have taken several leadership roles in student organizations.
Reply 7
I'm just about to apply within the next few days (I'm finishing my personal statement), where else are you guys applying to?
I'm so worried but let's try.-

- Current University: Mahidol University, Thailand

- Achieved (expected grade):
Bachelor 70.25% (2.81/4.00) with Dean List's in Extra-Curricular Activity and University/National Academic Contribution Awards
Master 84.5% (3.38/4.00)

- Prospective Courses: PSIA's Master of International Public Management

- Fun fact/Extra curricular activities: over 6 years professional experiences as Project Director and Manager in two NGOs, Founder and co-founder of 3 social enterprise, Intern at UN in Geneva, University Student Council (in undergrad), European Commission scholarship student, U.S. Department of State's Academic Fellow, 2 published publications and 1 upcoming publication, 6 training certificates with UN

My bachelor GPA is so low (I was a huge partygoer at that time) and I don't have financial support from family because I'm kind of independent from my parents after undergrad now. So I wish I will get accepted :'(
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by RiddleSchool
Hey Anweshaa. That's annoying to hear, eh? I got my application in as early as I could with the vision of perhaps hearing back faster, but having read previous year's threads, who knows, really? Here's to hoping they don't keep us waiting too too too long!

Hey RiddleSchool.. I know! I also got my application in early just so that they let us know something positive soon! All the best for your applications!
Original post by markforleisure
I'm so worried but let's try.-

- Current University: Mahidol University, Thailand

- Achieved (expected grade):
Bachelor 70.25% (2.81/4.00) with Dean List's in Extra-Curricular Activity and University/National Academic Contribution Awards
Master 84.5% (3.38/4.00)

- Prospective Courses: PSIA's Master of International Public Management

- Fun fact/Extra curricular activities: over 6 years professional experiences as Project Director and Manager in two NGOs, Founder and co-founder of 3 social enterprise, Intern at UN in Geneva, University Student Council (in undergrad), European Commission scholarship student, U.S. Department of State's Academic Fellow, 2 published publications and 1 upcoming publication, 6 training certificates with UN

My bachelor GPA is so low (I was a huge partygoer at that time) and I don't have financial support from family because I'm kind of independent from my parents after undergrad now. So I wish I will get accepted :'(

Hey markforleisure.. I am currently vacationing in Thailand! But this whole waiting period for hearing something back is not letting me completely enjoy my trip! Btw Thailand is beautiful! Cheers!!
Hi guys!
I'm currently in the process of filling out my application form, i'm super concerned though because I really don't have as much experience as everyone else on the thread and previous threads... I'm still finishing my undergraduate studies so hopefully they take this into account.

I'm studying at Aston University in the UK, I'm studying Psychology and Sociology, I'm currently on a 2.1 and expected to achieve this by the end of the year, I'm trying to aim for a 1st but a high 2.1 will hopefully be good for the course! I'm hoping to study international development. Consistent extra-curricular activities are super difficult at the moment because final year is hell, but I'm on the comittee of our Boxing society, I have taken part in Debating and MUN as well as MMA and spanish society! I'm hoping my extra-curriculars will make me sound interesting haha. My study abroad grades are a bit dramatic, they're super diveded so I'm not sure how much they will like it. REally, I'm just hoping I can shine trhough my personal statement and the high grades that I do have.

What scholarships have you/will you apply for?

Good luck guys!

I'm only applying to ScPo for now. My absolute goal is to live in France. I love that country so much. Applications to La Sorbonne open in May so if I don't get into ScPo before then, then I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I applied for the Emile Boutmy and Eiffel Scholarships...which scholarship was the one for students who had already lived in France for a year?

If I were you, I would send in your application as soon as possible. ScPo treats applications on a rolling basis apparently, which means that as they get them in they give out the acceptances relatively soon after. I applied on the 6th of November and it feels like time is going to pass SO SLOWLY until I find out if I am admissible or admitted.

What other universities are you applying to?
Original post by DanielRSanchez
Applications will open soon for entry in 2019.

Let's get familiar by using:

- Current University:
- Achieved (Expected) Grade:
- Prospective Course(s):
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities:

do you know how to find the percentage yield of something? please check my thread for details of what i need help on (assignment due in 1 day)
Original post by Elianita096
Hi guys!
I'm currently in the process of filling out my application form, i'm super concerned though because I really don't have as much experience as everyone else on the thread and previous threads... I'm still finishing my undergraduate studies so hopefully they take this into account.

I'm studying at Aston University in the UK, I'm studying Psychology and Sociology, I'm currently on a 2.1 and expected to achieve this by the end of the year, I'm trying to aim for a 1st but a high 2.1 will hopefully be good for the course! I'm hoping to study international development. Consistent extra-curricular activities are super difficult at the moment because final year is hell, but I'm on the comittee of our Boxing society, I have taken part in Debating and MUN as well as MMA and spanish society! I'm hoping my extra-curriculars will make me sound interesting haha. My study abroad grades are a bit dramatic, they're super diveded so I'm not sure how much they will like it. REally, I'm just hoping I can shine trhough my personal statement and the high grades that I do have.

What scholarships have you/will you apply for?

Good luck guys!

Have you turned in your application already? Work hard on your letter - they take that into account for sure. Make sure you're addressing all the important things, like why you're qualified, what you've done, why ScPo is THE SCHOOL for you, what you're going to bring to ScPo and what your future goals are, and why ScPo is necessary for you to achieve your future goals. They want your admission to be the next obvious step in your career. I applied for a Fulbright study scholarship, and the Emile Boutmy and Eiffel Scholarships. I am not quite sure what else there is out there for American students wanting to study in France. Any ideas? When are you planning on turning in the application?
Original post by sallesvc
I'm just about to apply within the next few days (I'm finishing my personal statement), where else are you guys applying to?

Did you turn in your application yet? I am only applying to Sciences Po for now, but once the applications to La Sorbonne open in May 2019, I will apply if I don't get into Sciences Po.
Original post by Anweshaa
Hey markforleisure.. I am currently vacationing in Thailand! But this whole waiting period for hearing something back is not letting me completely enjoy my trip! Btw Thailand is beautiful! Cheers!!

Hi! Hope you have a great time here. And I wish you (and I wish me as well) get the admissable email in the near future! :smile:
Yes! Me and all my glory lol!
No I don't think it has! when I did my research, the deadline said the 11th January so I think maybe check, because it still seems like a possibility! I'm going to try and apply by December because I have other deadlines and my dissertation to work on as well. I'm going to apply for a few others, to be honest SP is my gamble lol. I'm also looking at the University of Grenoble, The university of Barcelona and maybe the University of Geneva but I'm not sure to be honest.
Original post by laurengclark
Have you turned in your application already? Work hard on your letter - they take that into account for sure. Make sure you're addressing all the important things, like why you're qualified, what you've done, why ScPo is THE SCHOOL for you, what you're going to bring to ScPo and what your future goals are, and why ScPo is necessary for you to achieve your future goals. They want your admission to be the next obvious step in your career. I applied for a Fulbright study scholarship, and the Emile Boutmy and Eiffel Scholarships. I am not quite sure what else there is out there for American students wanting to study in France. Any ideas? When are you planning on turning in the application?

No not yet! I'm currently on my letter and trying to sell myself as well as possible haha. Thank you this is very good advice! I'm going to turn in the application hopefully by the end of december, I'm just kind of waiting for my referees to begin their process, I'm thinking I'm going to have to give them a nudge sooner or later lol. I'm not quite sure to be honest! I'm trying to naviagte the english system to see if there are any here for myself but it just takes up so much time, especially balancing my final year studies with masters research and applications :frown:

Quick Reply