The Student Room Group

Should I drop a subject

So I have taken 4 subjects and it has come to my teachers needing to predict me a grade for UCAS but I want an A predicted in physics to be able to apply at my main uni choice and wanted to drop computer science but annoyingly I got A predicted in comp sci yet B in physics, I tried to reason with my physics teacher but he said it’s impossible as there is not enough evidence which I accept.

So now I feel like dropping physics just to make it easier for me to do computer science but my main problem is that I feel that physics is much more useful as a subject especially for if I decide to want to change completely to engineering or something or perhaps although harder I could just keep both.

(If it’s important I am applying for maths at UCL as my main choice)
I think that both physics and computure science will help you out a lot for maths, are you really intent on dropping one? You seem to be doing well in both of them so why not keep both if you enjoy them both, but i do understand that taking 4 subjects is tough at a level. What are the chances that you can turn that B into an A in physics? Do you think that once you have dropped comp science that you will be able to focus more on physics and bring your grade up? It depends which you care about more, your enjoyment of physics or getting an almost definate A in computer science. Also which do you find easiest? :smile:
Original post by Icykitten
I think that both physics and computure science will help you out a lot for maths, are you really intent on dropping one? You seem to be doing well in both of them so why not keep both if you enjoy them both, but i do understand that taking 4 subjects is tough at a level. What are the chances that you can turn that B into an A in physics? Do you think that once you have dropped comp science that you will be able to focus more on physics and bring your grade up? It depends which you care about more, your enjoyment of physics or getting an almost definate A in computer science. Also which do you find easiest? :smile:

I do believe I can make a B into an A for physics for the exam but the only problem is that it won’t be possible for the predicted so it won’t exactly be useful if I dropped comp sci to focus on physics as it could ruin my uni options as with comp sci I am A*AA but with physics it is A*AB, I overall find computer science easier since the exam is much easier and 30% is on coursework which should be an easy A at the very least for me but on the other hand the grade boundaries tend to be higher for computer science than physics (I think about 70% for A in compsci and about 60% for physics last year (AQA)).

Overall however I want to make sure I can actually get the A in at least one (although this is a far stretch) I will be aiming for A* for all my subjects at least then I know I tried and for the off chance it could happen it would be easier with 3
(edited 5 years ago)
It’s a tough one. If you want the better predicted grades I would go with computer science but then if you need physics for your uni then I guess it would have to be physics.
Just out of interest, I’m doing physics a level and I’m currently year 12, what is the second year of physics like, is it that much harder or is it just building on what you learned at AS?
Original post by Icykitten
It’s a tough one. If you want the better predicted grades I would go with computer science but then if you need physics for your uni then I guess it would have to be physics.
Just out of interest, I’m doing physics a level and I’m currently year 12, what is the second year of physics like, is it that much harder or is it just building on what you learned at AS?

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late reply :tongue: , but physics in A level so far compared to AS uses some AS knowledge but introduces new topics mainly I personally think it’s a little harder but nothing like a huge step but personally I find physics hard no matter what I do so :biggrin: and also mainly tedious.
Original post by Sonicalireza
Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late reply :tongue: , but physics in A level so far compared to AS uses some AS knowledge but introduces new topics mainly I personally think it’s a little harder but nothing like a huge step but personally I find physics hard no matter what I do so :biggrin: and also mainly tedious.

Hi, thats reassuring thanks :smile:
Did you come to a decision in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest