what are the language features used in the poem war photographer
FudgeIt
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by amreensameer)
what are the language features used in the poem war photographer
The one by Carol Ann Duffy or Carole Satyamurti (or any other poet)?
amreensameer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by FudgeIt)
The one by Carol Ann Duffy or Carole Satyamurti (or any other poet)?
yes carol ann duffys poem
FudgeIt
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by amreensameer)
yes carol ann duffys poem
Alright, so I haven’t really come across it before (I’m on Edexcel spec, not AQA) but I’ll try my best. I can state a few language techniques and I‘ll try to do some effects:

Structure:
• Sibilance (‘spools of suffering’) - the sibilance highlights this idea of it being ‘spools’. Note: this is also used as a juxtaposition to ‘ordered rows’.
• Caesura is used quite a lot - illustrates how abrupt war is, increases the pace of the poem and adds to tension
• ABBCDDEFF... rhyme scheme - it’s quite an awkward rhyme scheme, sense of insecurity

Language:
• Colour imagery (‘red’, ‘black and white’), connotations of death, simplicity/futility
• Semantic field of death (‘agonies, blood’) and of course, suffering for the ‘war photographer’
• Simile (‘as though this were a church’)
• Religious imagery - the above quote (‘as though this were a church and he a priest preparing to intone a Mass’) - thus it implicitly links to morals and ethics forcing the reader to question the righteousness of war - is pride and nationalism worth all these ‘agonies’. Moreover, the ‘war photographer’ is trying to emphasise how these photos have power and the ability to change people’s minds
• Another key quote: ‘All flash is grass’ is yet another bibilic reference. This reiterates the idea that all life is fragile
• Emotive language - ‘running children in a nightmare heat’, evokes sympathy from the reader, war is an omnipotent force which can affect all

Welp, quite an in depth analysis. As I said, this is literally unseen poetry for me but literature has no right or wrong answer. They’re all just alternative interpretations - hope it helps! Feel free to ask for any extra help at any time. :>
Last edited by FudgeIt; 5 months ago
Tolgarda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Alright, so I haven’t really come across it before (I’m on Edexcel spec, not AQA)...
U wot m8? I'm pretty sure this is in Edexcel's Power and Conflict poetry anthology as well, seeing as I remember doing it.
FudgeIt
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
U wot m8? I'm pretty sure this is in Edexcel's Power and Conflict poetry anthology as well, seeing as I remember doing it.
‘War Photographer’ is in the Edexcel Power and Conflict anthology but the Carole Satyamurti version, not by Duffy.
Tolgarda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
‘War Photographer’ is in the Edexcel Power and Conflict anthology but the Carole Satyamurti version, not by Duffy.
O s**t lmao. Fair enough. F**k man, how many are there?
FudgeIt
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
O s**t lmao. Fair enough. F**k man, how many are there?
I’ve heard there’s another one in the OCR gcse xD
amreensameer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by fudgeit)
alright, so i haven’t really come across it before (i’m on edexcel spec, not aqa) but i’ll try my best. I can state a few language techniques and i‘ll try to do some effects:

Structure:
• sibilance (‘spools of suffering’) - the sibilance highlights this idea of it being ‘spools’. Note: This is also used as a juxtaposition to ‘ordered rows’.
• caesura is used quite a lot - illustrates how abrupt war is, increases the pace of the poem and adds to tension
• abbcddeff... Rhyme scheme - it’s quite an awkward rhyme scheme, sense of insecurity

language:
• colour imagery (‘red’, ‘black and white’), connotations of death, simplicity/futility
• semantic field of death (‘agonies, blood’) and of course, suffering for the ‘war photographer’
• simile (‘as though this were a church’)
• religious imagery - the above quote (‘as though this were a church and he a priest preparing to intone a mass’) - thus it implicitly links to morals and ethics forcing the reader to question the righteousness of war - is pride and nationalism worth all these ‘agonies’. Moreover, the ‘war photographer’ is trying to emphasise how these photos have power and the ability to change people’s minds
• another key quote: ‘all flash is grass’ is yet another bibilic reference. This reiterates the idea that all life is fragile
• emotive language - ‘running children in a nightmare heat’, evokes sympathy from the reader, war is an omnipotent force which can affect all

welp, quite an in depth analysis. As i said, this is literally unseen poetry for me but literature has no right or wrong answer. They’re all just alternative interpretations - hope it helps! Feel free to ask for any extra help at any time. :>
thankyou
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (30)
13.1%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
9.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.83%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (32)
13.97%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (27)
11.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (69)
30.13%

Watched Threads