The Student Room Group

Becky's Journey to AAA; Will I do it?

Attachment not found

Will I do it?

A Brief Introduction:

Hi, my name is Becky! I am a bit late with the whole GYG scheme considering it is October but I've only just really started academic work, its poor I know. But I'm really just doing this because I would really like to have results I am proud of and to reach my academic goals for once. I want to use this to track my progress, Identify problem areas and to motivate myself and hopefully you guys! (Maybe idk I don't know if I'm very motivational lol :s)

So I am currently taking a gap year (2018/2019) before I go to university. and I'm going to be keeping track of my work and life basically on here and try my hardest to be as consistent as possible.

Academic History :

My GCSEs are probably beyond mediocre in comparison to most of the tsr people, but I am proud of them even though I had wanted to achieve much higher preferably all A*-A. But that didn't happen.

Spoiler

Oh my Gosh AS was a terrible horrible year. I was so excited to start sixth-form and I just thought it would be amazing, I mean I'd watched so many A-level experiences and revision videos so I thought I'd be fine...

I was so incredibly wrong, I struggled in my new school and didn't really fit in, to begin with, which meant I put a lot of effort into trying to skip school and faking all sorts of illness. It eventually caught up to me and I was so unhappy and doing so bad in my subjects because I had a lot to catch up on due to missing out and just not bothering to engage so to conclude that year I achieved... (Well it isn't much of an achievement)

Spoiler

Here comes Year 13 and A-Levels; things had gotten much better after the shock and realisation of how bad I had done, I became much more motivated and had dropped chemistry (God, I hated that subject). I did work quite hard at the beginning but began to slack off in certain areas and I struggled a lot with my productivity as I am really bad at time management and prioritising. So I ended up getting ...

Spoiler

Gap Year & Plans :

So this year I will be retaking both my Biology and Computing A-levels and Maths modules, C4 & S2. I am predicted AAB but I am aiming for a minimum of AAA ideally A*AA, it is definitely a big ask but hopefully with the right motivation, attitude and revision techniques I can do it and we can all support each other here to do so.
If you're wondering I haven't yet completed my personal statement which is awful but within the next few days I should have a draft and I am hoping to go to Manchester University for Computer science.

but I will keep you all posted as I go.

Thanks, for caring enough to support me .

Important dates (I'll update this whenever I need to)

Spoiler

Notable Updates

Spoiler

Taglist

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good luck!! :rave: Which subjects are you taking?
Reply 2
Original post by nyxnko_
Good luck!! :rave: Which subjects are you taking?

Hi,
I am studying computing biology and maths wby?
Reply 3
Original post by Strawbecky
Hi,
I am studying computing biology and maths wby?

I'm doing Maths, FM, Chem and Physics :biggrin:
Do you have a tag list? Please tag me!
Reply 4
Original post by nyxnko_
I'm doing Maths, FM, Chem and Physics :biggrin:
Do you have a tag list? Please tag me!

Omg that must be intense!! And I don’t have a tag list I have no clue how lol

Edit: i’ve figured it out and I will definitely include you :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Omg that must be intense!! And I don’t have a tag list I have no clue how lol

Edit: i’ve figured it out and I will definitely include you :smile:

It's actually not as bad as everyone thinks it is :tongue:
:woo: thank you!
Reply 6
Wow! Good luck and I hope you achieve the grades you want!
Please tag me if you have a tag list:h:
Reply 7
Original post by gabirges
Wow! Good luck and I hope you achieve the grades you want!
Please tag me if you have a tag list:h:

Thank you! And i will definitely add you :smile:
Reply 8
Update 1 - (10/10/2018)

So, today I had a few things on my to-do list that I did want to complete, however; I had quite a hectic day and had to run some unexpected errands which did mean I didn't quite complete all the work that I had wanted to.

Nonetheless I did manage to get some work done and after a bag of Maltesers and a few episodes of ‘The Apprentice’ and ‘GBBO’ later, (if you’re watching what do you think of the contestants?) I managed to complete the carbohydrates section of the Biological molecules topic which I am quite proud of and I have finally begun writing my personal statement even if it is about 2 lines.

I do need to become a whole lot better at prioritising because I do need to make room each day for computing and maths. Speaking of maths i’m really unsure of what modules I want to retake because I got a B, just on the boundary, for C3 so I had initially decided to retake C4 and S2 and aim for a minimum of 85 ums in both, but now I think about it, it is a lot of pressure i’m placing on those two modules and I want to give myself the best chance at getting an A grade. (If you have an opinion let me know because i’m confused :confused: )

I will now insert a picture of my notes/revision for biology I completed today:

D5FBCC12-560B-48CB-A213-FCC3792C0C40.jpg.jpeg

To-Do List:

Spoiler

Tag list

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Day 1 - (10/10/2018)

So, today I had a few things on my to-do list that I did want to complete, however; I did have quite a hectic day and had to run some unexpected errands which did mean I did not quite complete all the work that I had wanted to.

Nonetheless I did manage to get some work done and after a bag of maltesers and a few episodes of ‘The Apprentice’ and ‘GBBO’ later, (if you’re watching what do you think of the contestants?) I managed to complete the carbohydrates section of the Biological molecules topic which I am quite proud of and I have finally began writing my personal statement even if it is about 2 lines.

I do need to become a whole lot better at prioritising because I do need to make room each day for computing and maths. Speaking of maths i’m really unsure of what modules I want to retake because I got a B, just on the boundary, for C3 so I had initially decided to retake C4 and S2 and aim for a minimum of 85 ums in both, but now I think about it, it is a lot of pressure i’m placing on those two modules and I want to give myself the best chance at getting an A grade. (If you have an opinion let me know because i’m confused :s)

I will now insert a picture of my notes/revision for biology I completed today:

D5FBCC12-560B-48CB-A213-FCC3792C0C40.jpg.jpeg

To-Do List:

1. Complete the Carbohydrates section of Biological Molecules
2. Begin personal statement
3. Begin revision for C4: Binomial Expansion
4. Begin Fundamentals of Programming topic

Tag list
@nyxnko_ @gabirges
@moonrise

Those are some very neat notes! (My handwriting is about twice the size of that oops)
If your grades were just on the edge and you're confident in your work maybe you could try for a remark first? If not I think that you could think about retaking C3 too because some of the topics are built on in C4 anyways (such as differentiation and integration). Though I'm not really the go to person to ask about that!
Maybe try doing one day for each subject and alternating, or try hour blocks of each subject, see what works best for you.
By the way, did you want to be added to the tag list on my GYG too? I wasn't quite sure so I didn't put you down just yet :')
Original post by moonrise
Those are some very neat notes! (My handwriting is about twice the size of that oops)
If your grades were just on the edge and you're confident in your work maybe you could try for a remark first? If not I think that you could think about retaking C3 too because some of the topics are built on in C4 anyways (such as differentiation and integration). Though I'm not really the go to person to ask about that!
Maybe try doing one day for each subject and alternating, or try hour blocks of each subject, see what works best for you.
By the way, did you want to be added to the tag list on my GYG too? I wasn't quite sure so I didn't put you down just yet :':wink:

Thank you! my handwriting is usually much worse lol. the deadline for a remark has passed and the more I think about it the more reasonable it seems to retake C3, It's just annoying because it is more work but hopefully it should be worth it.
And Yes please add me to your taglist! :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Hiii add me to the list :smile:
Original post by RhiaHargx
Hiii add me to the list :smile:

No problem thanks for checking out my blog :biggrin:
Those notes look beautiful! :lovedup:
Original post by nyxnko_
Those notes look beautiful! :lovedup:

Thank you :smile:)
Hello, can you add me to your tag list please? Thanks
Original post by je m'en fiche
Hello, can you add me to your tag list please? Thanks

sure no problem :smile:
Update 2 - (11/10/2018)

I didn't complete any work today which obviously is not great, but today has just been a weird day I'm a little sick and I've had such a bad headache the whole day. I am just so overwhelmed with UCAS and my personal statement which I still have not finished. *sigh* :sigh:.

I've spent about 73% of my day watching 'What Would You Do?' on Youtube and making the banner I've put up on my blog; made me realise how long it has been since I've used photoshop and I really miss it. A-levels, revision and anxiety has stopped me doing so many things I enjoy and I really hope to go back to them.

So yeah this is my very underwhelming update Lol, I'll hopefully be more productive tomorrow and update you all. :biggrin:

tag list:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Will I do it?

A Brief Introduction:

Hi, my name is Becky! I am a bit late with the whole GYG scheme considering it is October but I've only just really started academic work, its poor I know. But I'm really just doing this because I would really like to have results I am proud of and to reach my academic goals for once. I want to use this to track my progress, Identify problem areas and to motivate myself and hopefully you guys! (Maybe idk I don't know if I'm very motivational lol :s)

So I am currently taking a gap year (2018/2019) before I go to university. and I'm going to be keeping track of my work and life basically on here and try my hardest to be as consistent as possible.

Academic History :

My GCSEs are probably beyond mediocre in comparison to most of the tsr people, but I am proud of them even though I had wanted to achieve much higher preferably all A*-A. But that didn't happen.

Spoiler

Oh my Gosh AS was a terrible horrible year. I was so excited to start sixth-form and I just thought it would be amazing, I mean I'd watched so many A-level experiences and revision videos so I thought I'd be fine...

I was so incredibly wrong, I struggled in my new school and didn't really fit in, to begin with, which meant I put a lot of effort into trying to skip school and faking all sorts of illness. It eventually caught up to me and I was so unhappy and doing so bad in my subjects because I had a lot to catch up on due to missing out and just not bothering to engage so to conclude that year I achieved... (Well it isn't much of an achievement)

Spoiler

Here comes Year 13 and A-Levels; things had gotten much better after the shock and realisation of how bad I had done, I became much more motivated and had dropped chemistry (God, I hated that subject). I did work quite hard at the beginning but began to slack off in certain areas and I struggled a lot with my productivity as I am really bad at time management and prioritising. So I ended up getting ...

Spoiler

Gap Year & Plans :

So this year I will be retaking both my Biology and Computing A-levels and Maths modules, C4 & S2. I am predicted AAB but I am aiming for a minimum of AAA ideally A*AA, it is definitely a big ask but hopefully with the right motivation, attitude and revision techniques I can do it and we can all support each other here to do so.
If you're wondering I haven't yet completed my personal statement which is awful but within the next few days I should have a draft and I am hoping to go to Manchester University for Computer science.

but I will keep you all posted as I go.

Thanks, for caring enough to support me .

Important dates (I'll update this whenever I need to)

Spoiler

Notable Updates

Spoiler

Taglist

Spoiler

AYe! Math and Computing Gang! Wish u luck!
Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner
AYe! Math and Computing Gang! Wish u luck!

Thank you! how are you finding computing and how do you revise for it?

Quick Reply

Latest