The Student Room Group

Really disliking A levels and having a crisis finding my way :S

Very good set of GCSEs, 4 A*, 2 A and 4 B. My mental health went on a decline in high school as the environment I found to be toxic and completely unsupportive had to teach myself all the content so feel content with what I’ve got.

Thing is, I’m kind of desensitised to all education now. Because I told myself so much that it would all be over, I’ve hit the ground HARD starting at a new, prestigious college after a summer of volunteering (with children with additional needs) and feeling valuable in my part time job. Finding the whole thing very demanding and pressurised. I’ve changed subjects twice already and feel thoroughly overwhelmed with the amount of content, praise and sanction system, and just being squished into the mould again. It is not that I’m lazy I love hard graft, but just not like this.

I’m constantly in a state of panic (already) and feeling like everything is going over my head except one subject, English Lang, which I love. Beyond drained and don’t have enough hours in the week. As an introvert, I need my time to recharge like air to breathe, and I can’t see family or exercise or sit down for even one minute anymore.

Feel like the odd one out for feeling this way. My anxiousness is through the roof and every day is swimming against the tide. Know the options are stay studying or do an apprenticeship, but I fear the latter would close too many doors.

Bit of background: I suspect I’m high-functioning autistic, AND there’s family pressure too at the moment as my uncle is terminally ill and receiving palliative care.

What do I do? I just want to wake up and not have the weight of the world on my shoulders. I appreciate having a place in college, don’t get me wrong, but I just have a constant headache nowadays and don’t know what to do for the best.
I can’t offer any advice since I’m only in y11 but I really hope things get better for you soon. It might just be the change that’s overwhelming and that after a while you’ll settle in and feel better and then you’ll be able to focus more on the work
I didn't fit into A-Levels either. I did them for a year and then dropped out. I was going through a tough time, and A-Levels are not really suited to my learning style. I took a couple years out and now I'm doing BTEC level 3 graphic design and thoroughly enjoying it, and planning to go to uni.

Don't try and force yourself to do something you don't want to do, especially if you are struggling. there are other options.
If you don’t mind me asking what subjects are you taking? I might be able to offer some advice I completed my A levels this year.

Quick Reply

Latest