The Student Room Group

Reaction Kinetics

rate reaction 3.JPG
:hi: there folks!
The [A level] question is looks easy...finding the order of reaction...
but when it comes to finding the order of reaction with respect to and [X] ...the way mark scheme comes to the conclusion....I dont get it how...

All help and input aid in increasing the rate of my learning reaction:ta:
(edited 5 years ago)
reaction rate2.JPG
thats the 2nd part of mark scheme...
Consider experiments 1 and 2. As [A] doubles with constant and [X], the rate doubles. The reaction is first order wrt A.
Consider experiments 1 and 3. [A] triples and so does the rate. [X] remains constant, but doubles with no effect on the rate we already know the effect is due to A. The reaction must be zero order wrt B.

You can certainly find the order wrt X in a similar fashion.
Original post by zoae
Consider experiments 1 and 2. As [A] doubles with constant and [X], the rate doubles. The reaction is first order wrt A.
Consider experiments 1 and 3. [A] triples and so does the rate. [X] remains constant, but doubles with no effect on the rate we already know the effect is due to A. The reaction must be zero order wrt B.

You can certainly find the order wrt X in a similar fashion.

Thanks a lot for the help!:smile:

Yeah, I do know about the order wrt [A] but how could i conclude from that the order wrt to is zero ?:hmmmm:
We know the reaction is first order wrt A. You can see that has no effect on the rate since it triples because of [A].
If the reaction were first order wrt B as well, we would expect the rate to increase by a factor of 3 (because A triples) * 2 (because B doubles). This is not the case.
Original post by zoae
We know the reaction is first order wrt A. You can see that has no effect on the rate since it triples because of [A].
If the reaction were first order wrt B as well, we would expect the rate to increase by a factor of 3 (because A triples) * 2 (because B doubles). This is not the case.

Yup, order wrt A i got it down.
but i can't find tripling though.Isnt doubling? Which reactions are you referring to?

Are reactions 1 and 3 referred here? The rate is already tripled though...

And how do I find order wrt [X]?

Thanks a ton for all help!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest