The Student Room Group

Does anyone else dislike London slang?

You know, the whole 'blud', 'fam', 'innit', 'roadman', peng etc. I think people who speak like this sound like utter morons.

This is just my opinion so don't come crying to me, I don't care what you think :smile:

But the reason I'm asking this is because I feel like it's spreading quite quickly outwards from London, because people think it's cool. So you get white upper-middle class kids speaking like this to be edgy etc. It's so cringeworthy and laughable.

I am the only one who feels this way? Or will England be totally taken over by this accent in the near future and I'll be the only one waving the flag of my local accent?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I feel much the same way, although I never actually hear such repulsive speech (northern reaches of the world are so far safe). If anyone used those sort of words around me (and weren't doing it to try to be funny) I'd think they were a muppet. If one of my friends did it, they'd get a slap.

And if I ever have a child and it says 'peng', I'll be sorely tempted to put it up for adoption.
‘Peng’ is genuinely one of the most disgusting words I’ve heard. The labial frictive makes my skin crawl.
I love it so much. makes me feel at home tbh. id rather spend time with people who use that kind of slang then others who speak too 'proper'.
Original post by frantika
You know, the whole 'blud', 'fam', 'innit', 'roadman', peng etc. I think people who speak like this sound like utter morons.

This is just my opinion so don't come crying to me, I don't care what you think :smile:

then why did you post this thread

man like OP trying to be politically correct but at the same time getting gassed up about nothing. fam like obviously u have ur opinion innit but if you catch me in the ends my g i'll still treat you with respect even tho you think i'm a moron. besides mate it's only cringey when adults are trying to start beef with me using slang because it's for the youth anyway??

safe bruv dont take things too personally u know itz just banta anyway
I hate bruv especially when girls use it tbh. I like the American slang better tbh ngl
Madting fam
i dunno, every area has slang, catchy and cringe. my area has its own traditional way of saying words that london has its own terms for, like we say ayup and alrite instead of wagwan. but i know black lads here who say wagwan cos apparently its west indien. not london. i dont hear peng and blud much and all that ****. it's not a noel clarke film.
Original post by rainclouds-

man like OP trying to be politically correct but at the same time getting gassed up about nothing. fam like obviously u have ur opinion innit but if you catch me in the ends my g i'll still treat you with respect even tho you think i'm a moron. besides mate it's only cringey when adults are trying to start beef with me using slang because it's for the youth anyway??

The reason I posted this is explained: I want to know if others feel this way. What I don't care about is people explaining to me why the slang is cool etc.

And yeah, I respect that. You probably think my area is cringey and we're all morons for sounding the way we do. It's all relative. But the same way I don't really want 'your' dialect spreading across the UK, you won't want mine spreading into London. The beauty of England is how diverse and varied it is, which is why I don't want it to be a homogeneous slop. That's why I posted this question; I wanted to see whether it was spreading or not.

lol lets hope you dont catch him slipping in ends
Original post by Bang Outta Order
i dunno, every area has slang, catchy and cringe. my area has its own traditional way of saying words that london has its own terms for, like we say ayup and alrite instead of wagwan. but i know black lads here who say wagwan cos apparently its west indien. not london. i dont hear peng and blud much and all that ****. it's not a noel clarke film.

That's v true, same with mine. But I don't want one type of slang taking over, which is what I felt was happening :/ seems it's calm though
Original post by Secretnerd123
lol lets hope you dont catch him slipping in ends

dw, I haven't been to London in a long time and I really don't plan too
dw, I haven't been to London in a long time and I really don't plan too

its a joke. no need to respond so seriously lol
It can be funny if said at the right time and if you're taking the piss.
Original post by Rainfall
I hate bruv especially when girls use it tbh. I like the American slang better tbh ngl

oi bruv wot u sayn

hehe i always say bruv
The reason I posted this is explained: I want to know if others feel this way. What I don't care about is people explaining to me why the slang is cool etc.

And yeah, I respect that. You probably think my area is cringey and we're all morons for sounding the way we do. It's all relative. But the same way I don't really want 'your' dialect spreading across the UK, you won't want mine spreading into London. The beauty of England is how diverse and varied it is, which is why I don't want it to be a homogeneous slop. That's why I posted this question; I wanted to see whether it was spreading or not.

I was goofing around but I understand that it does come off as annoyingly repetitive and it is very difficult to approach people who speak like that. I think it is somewhat acceptable when children and young teens use these phrases but I know it's weird for people who live outside of London.

I don't think your area is cringey at all. It does seem to be implying that people who don't use that slang are somehow morally superior. This isn't 'my' dialect and I have no issue with speading slang. Perhaps because I am a teen and I find this 'trendy'. When it's not used in workplaces or schools or to discredit somebody then it is harmless.

I wasn't aware that it's spreading I imagined that only Londoners use these phrases. Nothing much has changed I once spoke to an adult who grew up in my borough and told me that she used the word 'bare' when she was in her early teens.
Original post by Secretnerd123
its a joke. no need to respond so seriously lol

I wouldn't have been surprised if it wasn't a joke lol

straight up, sweardown.

That's v true, same with mine. But I don't want one type of slang taking over, which is what I felt was happening :/ seems it's calm though

where ur ends cos? :gangster:

jk, what area u from??
does my head in blud innit
Try Geordie... omg. Nice to know we still have dialect to confuse the foreigners. Woza ****a gorrn on ere, then?

Latest

Trending

Trending