Welcome to the MHoC – introduce yourself and join a party! Watch

Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

Thank you for calling by our small corner of the site – we'd love you to get involved!

Introduce yourself!

This thread is for new (and less new) members to introduce themselves to the rest of the community. There's a standard formula below for you to copy and paste, but feel free to change it around if you like:

[b]My name is:[/b] (put your username here)
[b]I'm from:[/b] (add the general area you're from – country / county / whatever)
[b]My study level is:[/b] (e.g. undergraduate / A-levels / GCSEs)
[b]My political interests are:[/b] (what are you most passionate about – is it health, education, economic policy, etc.?)
[b]The party I'm interested / involved in is:[/b] (see the info on parties below!)

And a few questions:
[b]Brexit – Leave or Remain?[/b]
[b]Coke or Pepsi?[/b]
[b]Favourite fast food?[/b]
[b]Political hero?[/b]
[b]Most controversial political view?[/b]

Join a party!

The MHoC currently has four parties, who have described themselves below. If you click on each party's description, it will take you to that party's Q&A thread, to where you can direct any specific questions.
If you are interested in joining a particular party, make sure to include it when you introduce yourself in this thread, and someone will make sure the party's leadership team know you're interested. We also have a isidewithquiz, here.

***To actually apply to a party, you need to apply to its usergroup, which you do on this page here.***

Your questions answered!

There is plenty of help in the MHoC for beginners (or people who never found out how to do something in particular). You should maybe start with reading the MHoC moderation guidelines, as well as popping into our Commons Bar – the thread for general chat.

Here are some links to other topics in the MHoC 'user manual':

* What is the Model House of Commons?

* How does the MHoC work?

* How do I join a party?

* How do I become an MP?

* How do I write a bill? (see also the bill-writing guide!)

* How do I write a motion?

* Can I set up a party?
Last edited by Andrew97; 1 week ago
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm officially making the switch to this new welcome thread now.

If the remaining party leaders (Life_peer RedLuxemburg Jammy Duel) wish to submit their party summary for the OP, they are welcome to do so, otherwise it will just be the Lib Dems in there.

Current MHoCers are encouraged to post in here to introduce themselves too as the thread gets underway.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I look forward to welcoming new members as we head into the winter general election here in the Model House of Commons!
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My name is: Saracen's Fez
I'm from: Wales (not many people know this)
My study level is: final-year undergraduate
My political interests are: education, the constitution, home affairs
The party I'm interested / involved in is: I'm the Speaker

And a few questions:
Brexit – Leave or Remain? Mustn't say...
Coke or Pepsi? Pepsi
Favourite fast food? Has to be döner kebab
Political hero? Again probably best not to say anything there...Betty Boothroyd?
Most controversial political view? Political views? What are they?
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My name is: CatusStarbright
I'm from: Yorkshire
My study level is: Second-year undergraduate
My political interests are: Justice, home affairs, civil liberties.
The party I'm interested / involved in is: I am currently an independent, but have previously been a member (and leader) of the Libertarian Party

And a few questions:
Brexit – Leave or Remain? Remain, but accepting of the fact we're leaving and so I am hoping this country ends up with a satisfactory outcome.
Coke or Pepsi? Diet Coke
Favourite fast food? Chips?
Political hero? I don't really know
Most controversial political view? I'm generally not that controversial, though my recent bill and motion have sparked some controversy of late.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My name is: 04MR17 (MR for short)
I'm from: Liverpool
My study level is: third year undergraduate
My political interests are: Education
The party I'm involved in is: Liberal Democrats (former Leader)

Brexit - I'm past caring
Political hero? Mandela :love:
Most controversial view: If Iceland can function without an army, every other country on the planet should also be able to.
Last edited by 04MR17; 6 days ago
Pugglet
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My name is: Pugglet (whatever you do please don’t call me piglet)
I'm from: Newcastle
My study level is: 2nd year undergrad
My political interests are: civil liberties, international, and justice
The party I'm interested / involved in is: I am a Liberal Democrat MP and spokesperson for Justice and Home affairs for the party.

And a few questions:
Brexit – Leave or Remain? Remain
Coke or Pepsi? Mango Diet Coke 🥭 (I’m so basic)
Favourite fast food? Nuggets ❤️
Political hero? Either Michelle Obama or Joe Biden
Most controversial political view? Erm I don’t really have any views that are controversial I don’t think 🤔
Last edited by Pugglet; 1 year ago
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My name is: ns_2
I'm from: London
My study level is: first year of A-levels
My political interests are: primarily, education as well as domestic & international affairs, with notable regard to security.
The party I'm interested / involved in is: currently the Deputy Leader of the Conservative and Unionist Party

And a few questions:
Brexit – Leave or Remain? As an EU national myself, on balance and noting the extensive benefits of being outside the club, remain - however, the people spoke and their wishes must be respected such is the rule of democracy. To that extent, it is imperative that we cease the benefits of membership outside the European Union in full. If we are to attempt to make a success of Brexit, we must leave properly; we must be able to forge comprehensive and deeply integrated trade deals with countries throughout the globe without overlooking the influence and potential of our nearest neighbours.
Coke or Pepsi? Long time since I had either; but Coke.
Favourite fast food? Never really indulged in 'fast food'; preferably home-cooked, hearty meals
Political hero? Thatcher - despite opposition and difficulty, she endured no matter the price and did right by her morals - placing her country before her political career - something the likes of our modern-day politicians utterly fail to do.
Most controversial political view? Not necessarily political but I utterly oppose the death penalty, but would rather support the indefinite incarceration in sub-par conditions as to ensure that the disgusting individuals who commit such heinous crimes understand and pay, physically, emotionally and socially, for their crimes.
Koalifications
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My name is: Koala
I'm from: South-East
My study level is: GCSEs
My political interests are: Economy, Defence, Foreign affairs, Environment
The party I'm interested / involved in is: MP for Conservative and Unionist Party

And a few questions:
Brexit – Leave or Remain? Remain (used to be Leave tho )
Coke or Pepsi? Never been a fan of either, or fizzy drinks for that matter, just a cup of rosy lea :tea:
Favourite fast food? Probably Texan BBQ from Domino's :mmm:...
Last edited by Koalifications; 1 year ago
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Koalifications)
Favourite fast food? Probably Texan BBQ from Domino's :mmm:...
The rep was for this, not for your politics.
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My name is: CountBrandenburg

I'm from: Birmingham

My study level is: A-Levels ( Year 13)

My political interests are: education, health, Foreign affairs and defence

The party I'm interested / involved in is: MP for the Conservative party and former deputy leader for the Libertarian Party

And a few questions:

Brexit – Leave or Remain? Leave

Coke or Pepsi? Coke

Favourite fast food? I guess you can’t beat the local fish and chips?

Political hero? don’t honesty know

Most controversial political view?
For a Brit... probably the right to bear arms ( guns are nice okay!)... since private healthcare isn’t actually as controversial as it might appear , when you consider this place
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My name is: Saunders16
I'm from: Essex
My study level is: Second-year of A-Levels, studying Government & Politics, History and Economics.
My political interests are: Economic policy, which led me to serve as Chancellor of the Exchequer in a period in the first half of 2018 (26th Parliament). It is the manner in which we attempt to create fulfilling lives for citizens that fascinates me, which has also led to a particular, secondary interest in civil liberties. I have shifted over time on these issues, moving from a populist right-winger, to a classical liberal and, in the past months, a social democrat.
The party I'm interested / involved in is: I am a member of the Labour Party, having previously been the leader of the Libertarian Party in the second half of 2017 (25th Parliament).

And a few questions:
Brexit – Leave or Remain? I wish to remain in the European Union. This is, in fact, a result of my shifting political views in the past few years. On an economic level, I am very fearful about the effects of lower immigration, increased tariffs and, if without a comprehensive deal, a 'cliff-edge Brexit'. I believe the effects of leaving the Customs Union and the harm of immigration and EU regulation have been overblown, issues which led me to support leaving at the time of the referendum. On an ideological level, I believe we are better off cooperating with the continent - whether that be in the protection of civil liberties, workers' rights, preventing protectionism or tackling environmental and security issues. If we cannot get a comprehensive deal through Parliament, I wish to see a second referendum with 'Remain' offered as an option.
Coke or Pepsi? Coke; I never drink Pepsi unless it is the only drink of the two offered. With that being said, there are better drinks (alcoholic and otherwise).
Favourite fast food? Chicken wings and chips, whether that be at KFC or Nando's.
Political hero? I couldn't really pin any political figure as a 'hero', as I have never felt overly supportive of any political party. I try to take my views from a variety of sources, parties and individuals.
Most controversial political view? My most controversial view is supporting the abolition of private schools. I would like to move towards a fully comprehensive system, similar to Finland's, with a much less exam-based approach that would make childhood more fulfilling and assist in making success in life less dependent on hereditary wealth. A close second is supporting the full legalisation and regulation of drugs, although it is a view that appears to be slowly gaining more support in this country. While the criminalisation of cannabis is a huge social injustice due to its similarity to alcohol, I also believe the criminalisation of other drugs prevents people from receiving the appropriate treatment, using them more responsibly and being sold drugs of a higher standard, an approach that is proven in Portugal to have no largely problematic effect on overdose rates.
Last edited by Saunders16; 1 year ago
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My name is: Petros
I'm from: London but now living in Bath
My study level is: 1st year undergrad
My political interests are: Civil Liberites, Home Affairs
The party I'm interested / involved in is: The Liberal Democrats

And a few questions:
Brexit – Leave or Remain? Remain
Coke or Pepsi? Coke Zero > Pepsi Max Cherry > Cherry Coke > Pepsi Max > Diet Coke > Coke > Pepsi > Diet Pepsi
Favourite fast food? 6 wings and chips obvi
Political hero? Nick Clegg 😍
Most controversial political view? Either legalising Euthanasia or Full Drug Legalisation
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My name is: Connor27

I'm from: West Yorkshire

My study level is: Undergraduate, first year at the London School of Economics (which I definitely don’t mention a lot! Promise...)

My political interests are: Fiscal and monetary policy, foreign affairs and international trade.

The party I'm interested / involved in is: The Libertarian Party, where I am Party President (effectively Deputy Leader.)

And a few questions:
Brexit – Leave

Coke or Pepsi? Coke

Favourite fast food? A good old Indian curry

Political hero? Margaret Thatcher

Most controversial political view? That liberal democracy and free markets are fundamentally incompatible in their purest forms.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheRadishPrince)
Hey everyone, would this be a good party for me to join if I believe in:

Increased freedom of speech
Increased police powers to protect people interfering in individuals freedom
State health service
Right to privacy (for example online or sexually)
Greater punishment for serious crimes and less prison sentences for minor crimes (community service?)
Remain in terms of Brexit
Strong focus on education for all

Any other questions on my beliefs ask away but hopefully I covered enough
Tories support freedom of speech as do Libers.
Tories support increasing police powers, Libers have opposed prior attempts.
Tories support streamlining the current NHS over outright privatisation, Libertarians support full privatisation.
Tories support the right to privacy as do Libers.
Tories support greater punishment for serious crimes and have passed bills this term increasing sentences, the Libertarians largely opposed these.
Tories support Brexit as do Libers (Liberals and Labour are the only remain parties round here).
Tories support education for all and have published numerous bills this term on the matter, the Libertarians largely voted with us on those i believe albeit released no bills of their own on the issue suggesting that it's a low priority to them.

Moral of the story, Brexit aside (though we do have some remain supporting members) you should probably join the Tories.
ambrosewith
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
e My name is: Ambrose (ambrosewith)
I'm from Guildford, Surrey
My study level is GCSE's
My political interests are healthcare and education
[b]The party I'm interested / involved in is: The Conservative and Unionist Party
And a few questions:
Brexit – Remain?
Coke
McDonalds
Margaret Thatcher
I think that we should spend less on benefits and more on healthcare
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ambrosewith)
e My name is: Ambrose (ambrosewith)
I'm from Guildford, Surrey
My study level is GCSE's
My political interests are healthcare and education
[b]The party I'm interested / involved in is: The Conservative and Unionist Party
And a few questions:
Brexit – Remain?
Coke
McDonalds
Margaret Thatcher
I think that we should spend less on benefits and more on healthcare
Brexit - Leave albeit we do consider ourselves tolerant of most social views
As Chancellor i personally supported Coca Cola's aquisition of Costa.
There is no known party view on McDonalds albeit i would like to think that like me, they have functional tastebuds.
Thatcher is a deity to us however like everybody, she is something to be surpassed.
My recent budget reduced welfare spending by a small amount and increased health spending by a small amount (though i'd prefer to cut the number of services the NHS provides and restrain health spending).
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My name is: (The Rt. Hon. Rakas)
I'm from: (The great white north)
My study level is: (Complete - Economics)
My political interests are: (Economic and Foreign/Defense Policy are significantly more important than any other issues)
The party I'm involved in is: (TSR Conservative and Unionist Party - Former Leader, Former Chief Whip, Former Prime Minister and First Lord Of the Treasury and Minister to the Civil Service, Former Secretary Of State For Infrastructure, Former Foreign Secretary, Former Secretary to the Treasury, Current Chancellor Of The Exchequer)

And a few questions:
Brexit – Leave or Remain? - Leave
Coke or Pepsi? - Coke over Pepsi but Pepsi Max over Coke Zero
Favourite fast food? - Grilled chicken or fish on Garlic Naan with Salad and sweet Chili Sauce
Political hero? - I take elements from Disraeli, Gladstone, MacMillan, Thatcher and Major
Most controversial political view? - Support for Liberal Eugenics and Liberal Imperialism
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
My name is: (The Rt. Hon. Rakas)
I'm from: (The great white north)
My study level is: (Complete - Economics)
My political interests are: (Economic and Foreign/Defense Policy are significantly more important than any other issues)
The party I'm involved in is: (TSR Conservative and Unionist Party - Former Leader, Former Chief Whip, Former Prime Minister and First Lord Of the Treasury and Minister to the Civil Service, Former Secretary Of State For Infrastructure, Former Foreign Secretary, Former Secretary to the Treasury, Current Chancellor Of The Exchequer)

And a few questions:
Brexit – Leave or Remain? - Leave
Favourite fast food? - Grilled chicken or fish on Garlic Naan with Salad and sweet Chili Sauce
Political hero? - I take elements from Disraeli, Gladstone, MacMillan, Thatcher and Major
Most controversial political view? - Support for Liberal Eugenics and Liberal Imperialism
Disraeli, Macmillan and Major are all yucky though??
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Hear Hear :yep:

I care about the real issues, clearly. :cool:
Last edited by 04MR17; 6 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (74)
45.96%
No (87)
54.04%

Watched Threads