Welcome to the MHoC – introduce yourself and join a party! Watch

04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
normanofkent, since you've been posting recently do you fancy getting more involved here? Joining a party perhaps? I think you said at one point that you were part of the real life conservatives despite your staunch criticism of Universal Credit.
normanofkent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
normanofkent, since you've been posting recently do you fancy getting more involved here? Joining a party perhaps? I think you said at one point that you were part of the real life conservatives despite your staunch criticism of Universal Credit.
As contradictory as that may appear, if you could’ve only witnessed the intra-party petitions, policy consultations and campaigns where I opposed this shameful scheme, I do not believe the Universal Credit sys is in line with the Conservative agenda and I will do everything within my capacity to have the policy repealed even if that risks suspension or the need for defection.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by normanofkent)
As contradictory as that may appear, if you could’ve only witnessed the intra-party petitions, policy consultations and campaigns where I opposed this shameful scheme, I do not believe the Universal Credit sys is in line with the Conservative agenda and I will do everything within my capacity to have the policy repealed even if that risks suspension or the need for defection.
And would you like to answer my question?
normanofkent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And would you like to answer my question?
Honestly speaking, I’d rather contribute within the House as an outsider rather than behind the banner of a party - this enables me to discuss freely without fear of party lines
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly speaking, I’d rather contribute within the House as an outsider rather than behind the banner of a party - this enables me to discuss freely without fear of party lines
I admire that greatly. Have a lovely Christmas Norman. See you after 29th when the house hopefully has a government. And if you ever want help writing a bill or a motion let me know, I can also help by seconding anything to get it onto the floor.
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 year ago
jj.flyaway
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My name is: jj.flyaway
I'm from: London
My study level is: GCSE
My political interests are: Education, Foreign Policy and Economic Policy.
The party I'm interested in is: Liberal Democrats

Brexit – Leave or Remain? Whole-hearted remainer.
Coke or Pepsi? I actually don't mind.
Favourite fast food? McDonald's
Political hero? Barack Obama.
Most controversial political view? I lean towards Israel's side on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Last edited by jj.flyaway; 1 year ago
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jj.flyaway)
My political interests are: Education or Economic Policy

Most controversial political view? I lean towards Israel's side on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Hiya :hi:

I'm also interested in Education.:dance: (I like your political hero too :cool: )

I'm MR, the current deputy leader of the TSR Liberal Democrats. Do you fancy joining our party?
jj.flyaway
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya :hi:

I'm also interested in Education.:dance: (I like your political hero too :cool: )

I'm MR, the current deputy leader of the TSR Liberal Democrats. Do you fancy joining our party?
Hi! I would definitely be happy to join your party!
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I would definitely be happy to join your party!
Awesome

If you press the buttons to join the TSR Liberal Democrats here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/pro...editusergroups

You'll see a notification from me soon in another thread, this will be me asking for a dupe check on your account. This is just normal procedure to make sure that you aren't secretly somebody else trying to spy on us from another party.:ninja: All perfectly normal protocol.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

MR
normanofkent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I look forward to many discussions especially on the matter of your most controversial opinion which is without any shade of doubt, subscription to an inhumane, infanticidal regime.
normanofkent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My name is: normanofkent
My study level is: A-Level
My political interests are: International Relations, Welfare, Religion & Society
The party I'm interested in is: Conservative & Unionist

Brexit – Leave or Remain? Leave
Coke or Pepsi? Pepsi
Favourite fast food? Chopstix
Political hero? Baroness Warsi
Most controversial political view? Repeal the Same Sex Couples Act 2013.[/QUOTE]
jj.flyaway
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My name is: normanofkent
My study level is: A-Level
My political interests are: International Relations, Welfare, Religion & Society
The party I'm interested in is: Conservative & Unionist

Brexit – Leave or Remain? Leave
Coke or Pepsi? Pepsi
Favourite fast food? Chopstix
Political hero? Baroness Warsi
Most controversial political view? Repeal the Same Sex Couples Act 2013.
Likewise, I look forward to discussions on political matters, most importantly your opposition to one of the most important things to have benefitted the LGBT community (including myself).
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Out of interest, and not to steal you from the Lib Dems if you've already applied, but why not Labour?
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saunders16)
Out of interest, and not to steal you from the Lib Dems if you've already applied, but why not Labour?
Probably seeking a second referendum.
jj.flyaway
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do feel that some of Labour's ideas are appealing but I prefer Lib Dems because:
1) I prefer the Lib Dem approach to benefit changes in their manifesto.
2) The Lib Dems' attitude towards Brexit aligns more with my own. I do think a second referendum is necessary before we leave so that the nation can agree securely on what we want.
3) Although I think both Labour and Lib Dem's approach towards education is admirable, the Labour pledge to remove tuition fees seems unrealistic.
4) The Lib Dem stance on immigration seems more clear-cut than Labour's, and align more with my views, such as the pledge for Syrian refugees.
5) There is a secure approach to foreign and defence, especially in reducing violence whilst maintaining a strong defence.

This is all from the real manifestos so I'm not sure what it is like on the Student Room.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do feel that some of Labour's ideas are appealing but I prefer Lib Dems because:
1) I prefer the Lib Dem approach to benefit changes in their manifesto.
2) The Lib Dems' attitude towards Brexit aligns more with my own. I do think a second referendum is necessary before we leave so that the nation can agree securely on what we want.
3) Although I think both Labour and Lib Dem's approach towards education is admirable, the Labour pledge to remove tuition fees seems unrealistic.
4) The Lib Dem stance on immigration seems more clear-cut than Labour's, and align more with my views, such as the pledge for Syrian refugees.
5) There is a secure approach to foreign and defence, especially in reducing violence whilst maintaining a strong defence.

This is all from the real manifestos so I'm not sure what it is like on the Student Room.
If you want to scroll through them, here are both our manifestos from the previous election that was held just last week:

Labour Manifesto
Lib Dems Manifesto

For the most part, the parties are quite close to their real life versions. We do pledge to remove tuition fees, but we also look at how much this will cost and wish to avoid a high deficit. On foreign policy and defence, we are actually very closely aligned. The previous Conservative government all but abolished foreign aid, with both of us wanting to reinstate the 0.7% of GDP minimum spending requirement. Neither of us want to spend too much on the military and do not take a favourable stance towards the Russian Federation, unlike the Conservatives. In terms of welfare and investment, I believe that is where we stand out from the Lib Dems on TSR. We have a strategy that we wish to work towards, keeping public finances in mind, rather than the Lib Dems who had to rush their manifesto after leadership troubles.

Brexit isn't something we simulate on TSR either. We agreed as a community to agree to whatever is negotiated (or not negotiated) by the real life government. The only thing that can be done in regard to Brexit is plan for a post-Brexit Britain, or attempt to change the game so that a second referendum is held. There wasn't sufficient support for this last term, but this time the Lib Dems and Labour have more seats. We are more mixed on the issue, but as Brexit isn't a strong issue on TSR, I would argue that is a reason to come and join us. All of the Lib Dem MPs should vote for a second referendum, but you could come and make the case for it in the Labour Party. As a member it is something I personally support if we cannot negotiate a Norway-style deal, which isn't very likely to happen in real life.

If you're open to having your mind changed and want to take more time to consider the party you join, don't take my word for it but have a little look through both the manifestos I linked. Hope to see you around - we need more active members in the House.
jj.flyaway
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you want to scroll through them, here are both our manifestos from the previous election that was held just last week:Labour ManifestoLib Dems ManifestoFor the most part, the parties are quite close to their real life versions. We do pledge to remove tuition fees, but we also look at how much this will cost and wish to avoid a high deficit. On foreign policy and defence, we are actually very closely aligned. The previous Conservative government all but abolished foreign aid, with both of us wanting to reinstate the 0.7% of GDP minimum spending requirement. Neither of us want to spend too much on the military and do not take a favourable stance towards the Russian Federation, unlike the Conservatives. In terms of welfare and investment, I believe that is where we stand out from the Lib Dems on TSR. We have a strategy that we wish to work towards, keeping public finances in mind, rather than the Lib Dems who had to rush their manifesto after leadership troubles.Brexit isn't something we simulate on TSR either. We agreed as a community to agree to whatever is negotiated (or not negotiated) by the real life government. The only thing that can be done in regard to Brexit is plan for a post-Brexit Britain, or attempt to change the game so that a second referendum is held. There wasn't sufficient support for this last term, but this time the Lib Dems and Labour have more seats. We are more mixed on the issue, but as Brexit isn't a strong issue on TSR, I would argue that is a reason to come and join us. All of the Lib Dem MPs should vote for a second referendum, but you could come and make the case for it in the Labour Party. As a member it is something I personally support if we cannot negotiate a Norway-style deal, which isn't very likely to happen in real life.If you're open to having your mind changed and want to take more time to consider the party you join, don't take my word for it but have a little look through both the manifestos I linked. Hope to see you around - we need more active members in the House.
I have already applied to join Lib Dems but I have not been accepted yet. I think that I may have to reconsider my choice.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have already applied to join Lib Dems but I have not been accepted yet. I think that I may have to reconsider my choice.
It's not that you haven't been accepted, it's that the cogs of the system puts a delay on us letting you into the usergroup due to the dupe checking. The Labour party will be no different in this regard.

I think one of the most fundamental differences between us and Labour is we actually have a position on Brexit. Labour did not include it in their manifesto, their leader has proposed to extend go back to Brussels and renegotiate and have a referendum without remain as an option - something I doubt you or the general public want. Our Brexit policy has always been clear.

Labour have a strong emphasis on health policy, as is to be expected.

On Education we differ slightly. We see abolishing tuition fees as somewhat reckless and would prefer a graduate tax. Certainly some of their leader's ideas about student discipline I find issue with though I should make clear that's not their party policy
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 year ago
jj.flyaway
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's not that you haven't been accepted, it's that the cogs of the system puts a delay on us letting you into the usergroup due to the dupe checking. The Labour party will be no different in this regard.

I think one of the most fundamental differences between us and Labour is we actually have a position on Brexit. Labour did not include it in their manifesto, their leader has proposed to extend go back to Brussels and renegotiate and have a referendum without remain as an option - something I doubt you or the general public want. Our Brexit policy has always been clear.

Labour have a strong emphasis on health policy, as is to be expected.

On Education we differ slightly. We see abolishing tuition fees as somewhat reckless and would prefer a graduate tax. Certainly some of their leader's ideas about student discipline I find issue with though I should make clear that's not their party policy.
I think it's worth staying in Lib Dems to see, rather than jumping ahead rashly, then
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it's worth staying in Lib Dems to see, rather than jumping ahead rashly, then
Yeah, that wouldn't be a fair reason to not join the Lib Dems. There's a fear of people cheating by using more than one accounts (hence 'dupe checks') across the House.

Know that we'll be happy to have you if you don't feel you fit in with the Lib Dems though! You will find that Brexit doesn't really matter all that much here, so it just depends if you prefer working with more moderate people or more left-leaning people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (432)
67.5%
No (208)
32.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise