tomatos
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello all, I have come back to this wonderful website after many years looking for advice. So I've entered my final year of medical school after an arduous summer of resitting my OSCE's (turns out medical school is quite hard haha) and my decile ranking is an abysmal 10.

As you can imagine it is embarrassing to discuss this sensitive information even with friends. Literally, the vast majority of students get precedence over me. Is there any advice you guys would say for to me applying for applying - in terms of my preferences I wanted to go near a medium size city but that does not look likely.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are other aspects to your score other than just decile. Not least the great randomiser - the SJT. That has a normal range of a good 10-12 points so is about as important as the rest of the application combined.

You will also find that whilst getting your top job at the most competitive deanery may be difficult, getting the last job that no one else wanted often isn't that competitive at all. Its also the case that one person's top job may be another's bottom choice, so you can still get a good job at a competitive deanery. Honestly its not as bad as you think.

The practical difference it will make is that a) you need to decide if you would rather no choice of job at a competitive deanery or some choice of job at a less competitive deanery. My score was not that great but I wanted a choice of job so North West Thames, consistently the most competitive place, was actually my second to last choice (above Northern Ireland!). And b) that you will need to think more about your latter choices than others. Something like 90% of people get into one of their top 5 choices, but if you're at risk of being that 10% you're going to need to put more thought and research into choices beyond that. Although having said that, if you put the 3 least competitive deaneries at your top 3 then that'd almost certainly be fine too!

I was 9th decile and got my 6th choice of job in the Oxford deanery due to intercalating and a good SJT so even competitive choices are not necessarily off the table. You just need to be prepared for failure and have a plan B (and C and D...).
Brachioradialis
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One thing to remember is that if you get given an abysmal job/deanery, you don't *have* to take it. It's a risky strategy as there are no guarantees, but if you're really unhappy e.g. with how far you are away from friends/family, some jobs are rereleased after matching which you can then apply to.
ameelia22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just want to say, i'm in the same boat and I couldn't agree more about what the above poster has said re: really thinking about how you rank each of the deaneries beyond your top 5, because if anyone is going to be in the 10% that dont get into one of their top 5, it'll be us.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (171)
53.44%
18-20 years old (no) (38)
11.88%
20-25 years old (yes) (51)
15.94%
20-25 years old (no) (5)
1.56%
25-30 years old (yes) (20)
6.25%