*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 2] Watch

This discussion is part of a series.
view previous
astroworld
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to do that. Medicine clearing is really only supposed to be for people who got four rejections for that year's cycle. Also, you need to have sat the required admissions exams for that year's cycle. The BMAT wouldn't be an option because of the timing, and if you wanted to sit the UKCAT next summer it would be for 2020 entry unless there's an ARU situation again next year.
Oh that's a shame. I'll probs just go for post qual/gap year and then apply for Medicine!
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by astroworld)
Oh that's a shame. I'll probs just go for post qual/gap year and then apply for Medicine!
Is there a reason you don't want to apply for 2019 entry?
Herts PG Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Who offers places in clearing will vary from year to year, and from course to course - at this early stage it's pretty much anyone's guess, it all depends on the number of applicants for a given course.

Assuming you didn't get the grades for any of your first choices of university, then UCAS will open their clearing website on the day, with universities listing what places they have available and what the necessary grades are. Apart from that there's nothing else you need, if you have the grades and you like the look of the course then there's no harm in applying through clearing 🙂 a lot of unis also have clearing helplines open in the weeks following results day if you want some more help or information.

Hope that helps.

Theo

EDIT - post just updated with replies. Others sound a bit more experienced with it!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
astroworld
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Is there a reason you don't want to apply for 2019 entry?
My predicted grades aren't high enough and that's why I'm not applying this year. Apart from that, I've got relevant work experience/volunteering/extracurriculars/supercurriculars, a good personal statement, alright-ish UKCAT, and I've done good in BMAT mocks.
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
My predicted grades aren't high enough and that's why I'm not applying this year. Apart from that, I've got relevant work experience/volunteering/extracurriculars/supercurriculars, a good personal statement, alright-ish UKCAT, and I've done good in BMAT mocks.
What are they?
arigziegler
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by jmott40)
Has anyone seen/started the threat where you can put in where you applied, quals Ukcat, offers rejection etc?
Yep this one, although it's not specific to medicine.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...580052&page=12
Studio ghibli
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey there,

These are my stats:
GCSEs: 4A*s, 4As and 2Bs
Ukcat: Avg 607.5 and band 1
Predicted grades: A*AA
Good Personal statement

I rly want to apply for King’s but I feel that my UKCAT and GCSEs are just not competitive enough
Medic Community
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Can someone please tell me which med schools offer places via clearing? I was thinking of getting my A level results- and if they were high enough- I would apply via clearing. Also, what happens in clearing and are there any other things u need to have apart from the grades to be eligible for clearing?

Thanks!
Hi there,

SGUL is the main one that does clearing. I am actually studying here now and I was very fortunate to get here through clearing.

Why aren't you applying to any medical schools now? In order to get a clearing interview, they do expect you to have done the UKCAT as well.

There is no harm in trying other medical school including SGUL now. PM if you need any help.

Kind Regards,

The Medic Community
queenrich1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
UKCAT 2390 band 2 predicted AAA gcse 5A 4B and a C i think a great ps and work exp
is my options ok?
manchester
bristol (contextual AAC)
anglia ruskin (wp flag)
nottingham foundation year
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
This is historical... the other one was 9 years old!

Should the FAQ also be included in the first post of this thread? :beard:
(Original post by Antibiotics)
And the sticky of UKCAT score descriptors!!
And some days, it feels like I have replied to at least half of those 10,000 posts, with meddad, of course!!

Yes, the FAQs might be a good idea
If anybody feels it may help, feel free to use my (various) descriptions of how the UKCAT scores work, I suspect Puddles the Monkey can find it better than I can
LifeIsSoHard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
@meddad You mentioned that Liverpool's ukcat last year was 2400, so with a score of 2380 do you think this is a good option?
Also, do they rank the ukcat after first screening?
Antibiotics
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
And some days, it feels like I have replied to at least half of those 10,000 posts, with meddad, of course!!

Yes, the FAQs might be a good idea
If anybody feels it may help, feel free to use my (various) descriptions of how the UKCAT scores work, I suspect Puddles the Monkey can find it better than I can
I feel like you should make a master flow chart one day if/when you do leave. Bad predictions, low SJT, low UKCAT etc being headings. And then it should be pinned on a thread for all eternity.
Medic Community
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Sixtysix666)
Hey I am a gap year applicant and I want to apply to kings EMDP six year course and I am stressing out because I'm not sure if I am good enough. Please can someone put me out of my misery and tell me if I could be considered. Here are my stats:
GCSE: 6A* 5As
A-Levels achieved: AAB
UKCAT: 610 Band 3
Participated in K + programme and meet all other eligibility criteria for the 6 year course.
Hi there,

Yh, I just checked King's website and your entry criteria seems to check out. I personally think that this is worth applying to although it is a bit of a shot in the dark because we won't know for sure how they will use the UKCAT with regards to EMPD applicants relative to A100 applicants.

You might also be eligible to apply to sheffield under the widening participation scheme. It's just their UKCAT threshold of 2470/3600 that might make it difficult.

Have a look:
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine...wideningaccess

You never know with Liverpool.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/medicine...participation/

Look around and ask universities(those with widening access programmes) directly if they will consider you.

As your last choice, you can also apply to St George's for Biomedical Science which provides students with the opportunity to transfer into 3rd year of medicine upon graduation.

I hope that was helpful.

Good luck with everything and let me know if you need any help.

Kind regards,

The Medic Community
LifeIsSoHard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I called ARU today and they said that the average ukcat was 620 and that the lowest ukcat for someone who received an offer was 607.5 / 2430. Again, do you think it's risky to apply with 595 / 2380 to ARU?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Antibiotics)
I feel like you should make a master flow chart one day if/when you do leave. Bad predictions, low SJT, low UKCAT etc being headings. And then it should be pinned on a thread for all eternity.
If only we could trust the med schools to not keep changing everything......!!
That bit really is easy to research for yourself, it is the past cut offs, the fine print, the gut feel of having watched the threads for years that meddad and I probably bring that adds value (we hope!).
I just need to change the time of year of my appraisal, as this becomes an excuse NOT to do e-learning, pages of reflection and all the quality performance garbage I need to do to evidence I do not need to be struck off (this year!)
Medic Community
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by LifeIsSoHard)
I called ARU today and they said that the average ukcat was 620 and that the lowest ukcat for someone who received an offer was 607.5 / 2430. Again, do you think it's risky to apply with 595 / 2380 to ARU?
It seems very tight. Are you taking the BMAT? and what are the rest of your stats like?
alexmcmanus
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi all, does anyone know what the cut off score for nottingham is, I score 45 and was wondering whether this would be a risk. Any help would be much appreciated
Studio ghibli
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey there,

These are my stats:
GCSEs: 4A*s, 4As and 2Bs
Ukcat: Avg 607.5 and band 1
Predicted grades: A*AA
Good Personal statement

I rly want to apply for King’s but I feel that my UKCAT and GCSEs are just not competitive enough
jin5536
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
GCSEs don’t mean anything when applying to uni bro trust me
andreasz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I know that King's is a UKCAT heavy univeristy so it may not be the best idea. That being said, UKCAT scores this year are lower so you might have a better chance with that score than you would have had last year or any year before. What percentile are you in?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%