*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 2] Watch

This discussion is part of a series.
view previous
LifeIsSoHard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Medic Community)
It seems very tight. Are you taking the BMAT? and what are the rest of your stats like?
I fulfil the rest of the criteria (3a*, 7a), its just the ukcat.

They rank the ukcat, so it would be risky, but it might be possible if the people applying this year have lower ukcat overall. Looking at the results for this year, i think this might be the case.
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
And some days, it feels like I have replied to at least half of those 10,000 posts, with meddad, of course!!

Yes, the FAQs might be a good idea
If anybody feels it may help, feel free to use my (various) descriptions of how the UKCAT scores work, I suspect Puddles the Monkey can find it better than I can
I've only replied to about 1,000 so you must have done 4,000
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by meddad)
I've only replied to about 1,000 so you must have done 4,000
Slacker! Pull your finger out!
meddad
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by LifeIsSoHard)
@meddad You mentioned that Liverpool's ukcat last year was 2400, so with a score of 2380 do you think this is a good option?
Also, do they rank the ukcat after first screening?
Last year was 615 (2460). Ukcat scores are down this year by about 50-60, and people say Liverpool are interviewing 300 more than last year. That may bring the cut off down unless a significantly higher number apply there. The number taking ukcat is up 10% and some people may find Liverpool more attractive because they have dropped the PS assessment.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by alexmcmanus)
Hi all, does anyone know what the cut off score for nottingham is, I score 45 and was wondering whether this would be a risk. Any help would be much appreciated
Not even Nottingham will know what their cut off for first sift is yet, as it depends on the stats of those applying.
However, we can tell you it was 45 last year, and has been pretty stable at about this level, or equivalent for a while.
So you may well get through first sift, but your PS will then need to score better than those with higher scores for you to make an interview
Studio ghibli
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by andreasz)
I know that King's is a UKCAT heavy univeristy so it may not be the best idea. That being said, UKCAT scores this year are lower so you might have a better chance with that score than you would have had last year or any year before. What percentile are you in?
4th percentile
arigziegler
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I fulfil the rest of the criteria (3a*, 7a), its just the ukcat.

They rank the ukcat, so it would be risky, but it might be possible if the people applying this year have lower ukcat overall. Looking at the results for this year, i think this might be the case.
Mmm I'm not so sure actually. ARU is very attractive for students since it's so close to London so you might get high scoring students applying there and bringing the threshold up.
I know 5 of my friends are applying with UKCATs between 650 and 675 because it's not quite safe enough for London unis but should be fine for ARU.
Not trying to discourage you though, if you have some safe other options then you could use ARU as your risk uni.
arigziegler
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by queenrich1)
UKCAT 2390 band 2 predicted AAA gcse 5A 4B and a C i think a great ps and work exp
is my options ok?
manchester
bristol (contextual AAC)
anglia ruskin (wp flag)
nottingham foundation year
Manchester is the riskiest, the others sound like good choices though
GANFYD
Rep:
?
@meddad You mentioned that Liverpool's ukcat last year was 2400, so with a score of 2380 do you think this is a good option?
Also, do they rank the ukcat after first screening?
In previous years, Liverpool have ranked people using their GCSEs scores, and a certain number have made it to the next stage (15 is not a threshold that if you make it you are fine, it is just the minimum for them to then rank your score). They then rank UKCAT and will invite the top X number of people for interview (in previous years, these people went on to PS assessment, and my understanding was that everything reset at this point, so PS was a significant decider in whether you got an interview. This year, that stage has gone, hence why UKCAT cut off is difficult to call as I suspect there will be a different cohort of applicants-those with a high UKCAT score may well not have applied previously due to the subjective nature of PS scoring)
GANFYD
Rep:
?
I called ARU today and they said that the average ukcat was 620 and that the lowest ukcat for someone who received an offer was 607.5 / 2430. Again, do you think it's risky to apply with 595 / 2380 to ARU?
Again, difficult to call, given this is the first year ARU have been up and running for a full UCAS cycle. Depends how badly you want to go to ARU and what other choices you have
andreasz
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Studio ghibli)
4th percentile
King’s has the reputation of accepting people with UKCAT scores of 700+ (although there are always exceptions) so I’d be very careful. Personally, I too wanted to apply to King’s but applied to Barts instead because of my UKCAT score.
Linalolo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
GANFYD and meddad, are your accounts run by a single person each? How can you cope with all the questions year after year? Day after day? surely theres more than one person in each account??? You should get paid?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Linalolo)
GANFYD and meddad, are your accounts run by a single person each? How can you cope with all the questions year after year? Day after day? surely theres more than one person in each account??? You should get paid?
I can assure you we are both just 1 person! I don't think payment is on offer
How do we cope? Well, meddad has the luxury of day times free, and I am a chronic insomniac who uses this to while away the hours of wakefulness, as the salt mines keep me busy during the day!

Good manners, some personal research, patience, the odd word of thanks and an update on how applications went is gratefully appreciated, though (at least by me)
Studio ghibli
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by andreasz)
King’s has the reputation of accepting people with UKCAT scores of 700+ (although there are always exceptions) so I’d be very careful. Personally, I too wanted to apply to King’s but applied to Barts instead because of my UKCAT score.
I also wanted to apply to Barts but they have a 50:50 academic weighting, my total tarrif points are 160 which is pretty low so I don't think I'll get an interview if I apply.
Linalolo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
I can assure you we are both just 1 person! I don't think payment is on offer
How do we cope? Well, meddad has the luxury of day times free, and I am a chronic insomniac who uses this to while away the hours of wakefulness, as the salt mines keep me busy during the day!

Good manners, some personal research, patience, the odd word of thanks and an update on how applications went is gratefully appreciated, though (at least by me)
Thats genuinely the cutest thing ever. The fact you both do this just for the genuine interest of helping others get into medical school is so sweet! If I become a doctor someday, definitely come to me and Ill help you out! Last year you helped me with my uni application and I had a little chuckle when i saw that youre still doing it. Although in the end i didnt get the a level grades so I am resitting my a levels. What do you mean salt mines? do you work on a mine or something? thats so random... lol! You both should be signed up for the Nobel Student Room prize or something
Studio ghibli
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
These are my stats and they’re not looking too good:

GCSEs: 4A* 4A 2B
Ukcat: 2430 Band 1 (avg 607.5)
A level predictions: A*AA (all my tarrif points will come from my predicted grades because I don’t have any of the other qualifications on offer)

Please tell me honestly if I’m likely to meet the interview stage or not

And thank you in advance
queenrich1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by arigziegler)
Manchester is the riskiest, the others sound like good choices though
what do u think about aston? or do u have anything else instead of manchester- they did say lower ukcat have holistic approach
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Linalolo)
Thats genuinely the cutest thing ever. The fact you both do this just for the genuine interest of helping others get into medical school is so sweet! If I become a doctor someday, definitely come to me and Ill help you out! Last year you helped me with my uni application and I had a little chuckle when i saw that youre still doing it. Although in the end i didnt get the a level grades so I am resitting my a levels. What do you mean salt mines? do you work on a mine or something? thats so random... lol! You both should be signed up for the Nobel Student Room prize or something
God, that makes me feel old!
"back to the salt mines. Resume work, usually with some reluctance, as in With my slavedriver of a boss, even on Saturdays it's back to the salt mines. This term alludes to the Russian practice of punishing prisoners by sending them to work inthe salt mines of Siberia. Today the term is only used ironically."
I am a GP in my day job, mum, wife, friend, TSRian in the rest of my life!
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Studio ghibli)
Hey there,

These are my stats:
GCSEs: 4A*s, 4As and 2Bs
Ukcat: Avg 607.5 and band 1
Predicted grades: A*AA
Good Personal statement

I rly want to apply for King’s but I feel that my UKCAT and GCSEs are just not competitive enough
King’s uses a combination of UKCAT (50%), Individual and School Academic Performance (40%) and other widening participation factors (10%) to decide who to invite for interview. This information was current in May 2018 and came from a Freedom of Information request.
Also from a FOI request the lowest UKCAT score to be interviewed for 2017 entry was 640, but that appeared to be an exception. A number of applicants were interviewed with scores of 650. Most UKCAT scores were high 600’s and above. Average was 725 in 2017 and 707 in 2018.

I think you are unlikely to be invited for interview at Kings, I'm afraid
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by jin5536)
GCSEs don’t mean anything when applying to uni bro trust me
They often do if applying for medicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.56%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (85)
18.89%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.22%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.67%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.22%