*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 2] Watch

This discussion is part of a series.
view previous
frustratedTeen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi! So I did my UKCAT and got disappointingly low scores (2340). I am an international student and decided to only apply to one UKCAT uni. Plymouth says they don't require international students to take the UKCAT but I already did, will they consider it? Queen's Belfast apparently is a good uni to apply with low scores to, would I have a shot? And finally, out of the two, which one should I pick?

Ohh also, I have really good IB predicted grades, decent IGCSEs and hopefully a good personal statement.

thankssss
DrLuciferStrange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by jameslondon141)
Is it too risky to apply with a UKCAT score of 2770 and band 1 SJT?
It depends which course you're applying to. Bm6 or Bm5? Bm6 they don't really care that much about Ukcat for Bm5 i think youre fine if your PS is good along with your references and your predicted grades.
arigziegler
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by frustratedTeen)
Hi! So I did my UKCAT and got disappointingly low scores (2340). I am an international student and decided to only apply to one UKCAT uni. Plymouth says they don't require international students to take the UKCAT but I already did, will they consider it? Queen's Belfast apparently is a good uni to apply with low scores to, would I have a shot? And finally, out of the two, which one should I pick?

Ohh also, I have really good IB predicted grades, decent IGCSEs and hopefully a good personal statement.

thankssss
What are your GCSEs and IB predicteds exactly.
Plymouth won't look at them if they don't need them. Check out BSMS they don't need a test either.
Are you taking the BMAT?
LifeIsSoHard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Do Plymouth look at predicted grades? Or are they like Keele?
raincovi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Yes, based on the info we have been able to find about Kings, I think you would stand a reasonable chance of an interview.
Otherwise anywhere except Cardiff, Oxford and Exeter would seem OK, dependent on your subject grades at GCSE
Your UKCAT is good enough that you so not need to rely on 2 BMAT unis, which is always a risk, as you do not have your marks when you apply
Okay, thank you so much for your help!
raincovi
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by arigziegler)
I'd say you have a fair shot at Kings
Okay, thank you
frustratedTeen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by arigziegler)
What are your GCSEs and IB predicteds exactly.
Plymouth won't look at them if they don't need them. Check out BSMS they don't need a test either.
Are you taking the BMAT?
So my IGCSEs are 9 in total with 3A*s 2As 3Bs and 1C, I'm being predicted an IB score of 40 points with 776 HL.
I'm also applying to BSMS and taking the BMAT
sahana06
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I'm an international applicant and I scored 622.5 average (2490 total) score on my UKCAT according to the Aberdeen admissions website, it doesn't seem like they give too much waitage for UKCAT scores, but do any of you think it's worth applying here??
JLJY
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Procrastinating!!
Aren't we all? Hahahah I mean I'm all ready to press submit but am holding out in case something suddenly pops up that changes my mind lol
wyann
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Bio- 8
chem- 9
Phys-9
Maths-8
Further maths - A*
Eng lang- 6
Eng lit- 7
Computing-6
Geog-7
Religious studies-9
French- 8
With these grades would I be able to do medicine at oxbridge if I do well in a levels as well. I got 3 9s, 48s, 37s and 26s?
I am not trying to boast so pls don't roast me for dat.
ty
aradhikav
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
My UKCAT score was 2350.
VR: 479
DM: 650
QR: 630
AR: 600
My 10th grade scores are as follows- (I’m from India so I’m not sure how to convert these scores into the GCSE system ofA’s/A*)
English: 91
Mathematics: 91
Science: 92
Social studies: 96
Computer Applications: 98
French 89
Can someone please tell me if I should apply to Liverpool university with these grades? Do I have great chances of getting called in for an interview?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by RickHendricks)
r u sure? it says A*AA on their website...
do often give interviews with aaa predictions, but offers usually a*aa with around 15% given aaa offers.
athena70
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi, I'm not sure what I should choose for my 4th option, I'm planning to apply to Exeter, Bristol and Cardiff.

I have a UKCAT score of 2780, average 695 but band 3
BMAT of 4.7, 4.5 and 3A (I did the September exam)
GCSEs are 6A*, 7A and 2B.
Predicated A-Levels of A*A*A*

What uni would I be most likely to be accepted? Do you think I'm likely to get in to my other choices?
meddad
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by athena70)
Hi, I'm not sure what I should choose for my 4th option, I'm planning to apply to Exeter, Bristol and Cardiff.

What uni would I be most likely to be accepted? Do you think I'm likely to get in to my other choices?
I don't know too much about BMAT. Exeter and Bristol should be fine for interview based on last year's cut off scores. For Cardiff, in the last two years you have needed 8 A* and 1 A grade to meet their cut off scores for interview. That could change, but may not. You may get away with one A* less if you're welsh (not 100% certain on that).

Based on historic cut off scores, you would be fine applying to Manchester, Newcastle, Southampton, Glasgow, St Georges, Plymouth, QUB, Liverpool.

You may also be ok at Birmingham and Leicester but it depends which subjects your A*, A and B grades are in. If you're particularly interested in either of those then list your GCSE subject grades.

I have not included Uni's on this list where your SJT Band 3 may be a disadvantage - there are a number who use UKCAT and/or SJT as part of their interview scoring.
Antibiotics
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

You should have a pretty good choice of unis? I’m not sure what wouldn’t take you on that? I’m no undergrad expert though. Or even half an expert. I’d peg myself as a beginner.
athena70
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by meddad)
I don't know too much about BMAT. Exeter and Bristol should be fine for interview based on last year's cut off scores. For Cardiff, in the last two years you have needed 8 A* and 1 A grade to meet their cut off scores for interview. That could change, but may not. You may get away with one A* less if you're welsh (not 100% certain on that).

Based on historic cut off scores, you would be fine applying to Manchester, Newcastle, Southampton, Glasgow, St Georges, Plymouth, QUB, Liverpool.

You may also be ok at Birmingham and Leicester but it depends which subjects your A*, A and B grades are in. If you're particularly interested in either of those then list your GCSE subject grades.

I have not included Uni's on this list where your SJT Band 3 may be a disadvantage - there are a number who use UKCAT and/or SJT as part of their interview scoring.
Thank you! I am Welsh, so hopefully Cardiff will be okay.

My GCSEs are:
A* - biology, chemistry, physics, maths, numeracy and CeFS
A - english lit and language, welsh, drama, music, RE and thinking and reasoning
B - french and welsh bacc
meddad
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Thank you! I am Welsh, so hopefully Cardiff will be okay.

My GCSEs are:
A* - biology, chemistry, physics, maths, numeracy and CeFS
A - english lit and language, welsh, drama, music, RE and thinking and reasoning
B - french and welsh bacc
The ones I mentioned in my previous list should be safe bets based on previous cut off scores. I excluded from that any where they use UKCAT/SJT as part of the interview scoring, or where they use the PS in their assessment, and left out some scottish ones which I'm less familiar with - but if you're interested in one not on the list then let me know and I'll give a view.

Leicester is also fine.

Birmingham - you lose points through not having A* grades in the two english subjects. My instinct is that with UKCAT scores dropping you would probably be ok, but it's not as safe as the others. As you're taking some risk with Cardiff, you may want to stay on safer ground with the other three choices.
Awan0903
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by aradhikav)
My UKCAT score was 2350.
VR: 479
DM: 650
QR: 630
AR: 600
My 10th grade scores are as follows- (I’m from India so I’m not sure how to convert these scores into the GCSE system ofA’s/A*)
English: 91
Mathematics: 91
Science: 92
Social studies: 96
Computer Applications: 98
French 89
Can someone please tell me if I should apply to Liverpool university with these grades? Do I have great chances of getting called in for an interview?
I don't think, someone here would be able to help you. The best thing to do is to google the university which you are hoping to choose. Go to their home page and search for their contact details. Contact the university and explain your situation. You would also be able to find more information about overseas students and visa(if you're not living in the UK). Also, ask them whether Indian degree is equivalent to GCSEs in the UK or not. Hope it helps.
medjoy
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hello,
I would like some advice on my fourth choice please.Im applying to Leeds,Manchester,Newcastle and cannot decide between Sheffield and St Andrews.
with no biology in A or AS levels restricts me applying to many universities. My other A level subjects are Chemistry,Maths and Economics.
Would love to apply to sheffield but not sure about UKCAT cutoff .
My GCSE-7A* 2A 1B
AS- BBBC
Predicted A levels-AAA
UKCAT- 2640 Band 1
Khalifa Ali
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Considering that every Uni that uses UKCAT heavily have a cut off generally at around 660+, so around 7th Decile for previous years, such as Glasgow, Sheffield, Southampton Newcastle, King's etc. The 7th Decile is around 650 this year. Is there any reason Bristol or Liverpool will not be the same? Ie have a cut off at around 650?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.56%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (85)
18.89%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.22%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.67%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.22%