The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arigziegler
I'd say you have a fair shot at Kings

Okay, thank you :smile:
Original post by arigziegler
What are your GCSEs and IB predicteds exactly.
Plymouth won't look at them if they don't need them. Check out BSMS they don't need a test either.
Are you taking the BMAT?

So my IGCSEs are 9 in total with 3A*s 2As 3Bs and 1C, I'm being predicted an IB score of 40 points with 776 HL.
I'm also applying to BSMS and taking the BMAT :smile:
I'm an international applicant and I scored 622.5 average (2490 total) score on my UKCAT :frown: according to the Aberdeen admissions website, it doesn't seem like they give too much waitage for UKCAT scores, but do any of you think it's worth applying here??
Reply 83
Original post by GANFYD
Procrastinating!!

Aren't we all? Hahahah I mean I'm all ready to press submit but am holding out in case something suddenly pops up that changes my mind lol
Reply 84
Bio- 8
chem- 9
Phys-9
Maths-8
Further maths - A*
Eng lang- 6
Eng lit- 7
Computing-6
Geog-7
Religious studies-9
French- 8
With these grades would I be able to do medicine at oxbridge if I do well in a levels as well. I got 3 9s, 48s, 37s and 26s?
I am not trying to boast so pls don't roast me for dat.
ty
My UKCAT score was 2350.
VR: 479
DM: 650
QR: 630
AR: 600
My 10th grade scores are as follows- (I’m from India so I’m not sure how to convert these scores into the GCSE system ofA’s/A*)
English: 91
Mathematics: 91
Science: 92
Social studies: 96
Computer Applications: 98
French 89
Can someone please tell me if I should apply to Liverpool university with these grades? Do I have great chances of getting called in for an interview?
Original post by RickHendricks
r u sure? it says A*AA on their website...

do often give interviews with aaa predictions, but offers usually a*aa with around 15% given aaa offers.
Hi, I'm not sure what I should choose for my 4th option, I'm planning to apply to Exeter, Bristol and Cardiff.

I have a UKCAT score of 2780, average 695 but band 3
BMAT of 4.7, 4.5 and 3A (I did the September exam)
GCSEs are 6A*, 7A and 2B.
Predicated A-Levels of A*A*A*

What uni would I be most likely to be accepted? Do you think I'm likely to get in to my other choices?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by athena70
Hi, I'm not sure what I should choose for my 4th option, I'm planning to apply to Exeter, Bristol and Cardiff.

What uni would I be most likely to be accepted? Do you think I'm likely to get in to my other choices?

I don't know too much about BMAT. Exeter and Bristol should be fine for interview based on last year's cut off scores. For Cardiff, in the last two years you have needed 8 A* and 1 A grade to meet their cut off scores for interview. That could change, but may not. You may get away with one A* less if you're welsh (not 100% certain on that).

Based on historic cut off scores, you would be fine applying to Manchester, Newcastle, Southampton, Glasgow, St Georges, Plymouth, QUB, Liverpool.

You may also be ok at Birmingham and Leicester but it depends which subjects your A*, A and B grades are in. If you're particularly interested in either of those then list your GCSE subject grades.

I have not included Uni's on this list where your SJT Band 3 may be a disadvantage - there are a number who use UKCAT and/or SJT as part of their interview scoring.

You should have a pretty good choice of unis? I’m not sure what wouldn’t take you on that? I’m no undergrad expert though. Or even half an expert. I’d peg myself as a beginner.
Original post by meddad
I don't know too much about BMAT. Exeter and Bristol should be fine for interview based on last year's cut off scores. For Cardiff, in the last two years you have needed 8 A* and 1 A grade to meet their cut off scores for interview. That could change, but may not. You may get away with one A* less if you're welsh (not 100% certain on that).

Based on historic cut off scores, you would be fine applying to Manchester, Newcastle, Southampton, Glasgow, St Georges, Plymouth, QUB, Liverpool.

You may also be ok at Birmingham and Leicester but it depends which subjects your A*, A and B grades are in. If you're particularly interested in either of those then list your GCSE subject grades.

I have not included Uni's on this list where your SJT Band 3 may be a disadvantage - there are a number who use UKCAT and/or SJT as part of their interview scoring.

Thank you! I am Welsh, so hopefully Cardiff will be okay.

My GCSEs are:
A* - biology, chemistry, physics, maths, numeracy and CeFS
A - english lit and language, welsh, drama, music, RE and thinking and reasoning
B - french and welsh bacc
Reply 91
Thank you! I am Welsh, so hopefully Cardiff will be okay.

My GCSEs are:
A* - biology, chemistry, physics, maths, numeracy and CeFS
A - english lit and language, welsh, drama, music, RE and thinking and reasoning
B - french and welsh bacc

The ones I mentioned in my previous list should be safe bets based on previous cut off scores. I excluded from that any where they use UKCAT/SJT as part of the interview scoring, or where they use the PS in their assessment, and left out some scottish ones which I'm less familiar with - but if you're interested in one not on the list then let me know and I'll give a view.

Leicester is also fine.

Birmingham - you lose points through not having A* grades in the two english subjects. My instinct is that with UKCAT scores dropping you would probably be ok, but it's not as safe as the others. As you're taking some risk with Cardiff, you may want to stay on safer ground with the other three choices.
Original post by aradhikav
My UKCAT score was 2350.
VR: 479
DM: 650
QR: 630
AR: 600
My 10th grade scores are as follows- (I’m from India so I’m not sure how to convert these scores into the GCSE system ofA’s/A*)
English: 91
Mathematics: 91
Science: 92
Social studies: 96
Computer Applications: 98
French 89
Can someone please tell me if I should apply to Liverpool university with these grades? Do I have great chances of getting called in for an interview?

I don't think, someone here would be able to help you. The best thing to do is to google the university which you are hoping to choose. Go to their home page and search for their contact details. Contact the university and explain your situation. You would also be able to find more information about overseas students and visa(if you're not living in the UK). Also, ask them whether Indian degree is equivalent to GCSEs in the UK or not. Hope it helps.:smile:
Reply 93
Hello,
I would like some advice on my fourth choice please.Im applying to Leeds,Manchester,Newcastle and cannot decide between Sheffield and St Andrews.
with no biology in A or AS levels restricts me applying to many universities. My other A level subjects are Chemistry,Maths and Economics.
Would love to apply to sheffield but not sure about UKCAT cutoff .
My GCSE-7A* 2A 1B
AS- BBBC
Predicted A levels-AAA
UKCAT- 2640 Band 1
Considering that every Uni that uses UKCAT heavily have a cut off generally at around 660+, so around 7th Decile for previous years, such as Glasgow, Sheffield, Southampton Newcastle, King's etc. The 7th Decile is around 650 this year. Is there any reason Bristol or Liverpool will not be the same? Ie have a cut off at around 650?
Reply 95
Original post by sahana06
I'm an international applicant and I scored 622.5 average (2490 total) score on my UKCAT :frown: according to the Aberdeen admissions website, it doesn't seem like they give too much waitage for UKCAT scores, but do any of you think it's worth applying here??

They use UKCAT as 40% of pre-interview ranking, so it would depend on your academics
Reply 96
Original post by Khalifa Ali
Considering that every Uni that uses UKCAT heavily have a cut off generally at around 660+, so around 7th Decile for previous years, such as Glasgow, Sheffield, Southampton Newcastle, King's etc. The 7th Decile is around 650 this year. Is there any reason Bristol or Liverpool will not be the same? Ie have a cut off at around 650?

I would have thought not, but applicants are a weird bunch (as a group, not individually, of course!).
Bristol has always been incredibly popular, but who is to say whether that is because of Bristol or because they made relatively little use of the UKCAT in previous years, so people with low scores could apply?
The same with Liverpool-thought of as being PS heavy, will people have picked up the change in that stage of the process?
I suspect Bristol will be the upper end of UKCAT heavy unis and Liverpool the lower, but I think around 650 is a reasonable guesstimate. This is just my opinion, and I have no knowledge to back this up!
Reply 97
Original post by Khalifa Ali

You are right that a lot, but not all, UKCAT heavy Uni's have cut off scores around that level... and your assumption makes sense in isolation. However, there are other factors coming into play this year.

There has been a 10% increase in people taking UKCAT this year. That means there are 10% more people in each decile. If a Uni intends interviewing the same number of candidates as they did last year then the UKCAT cut off will creep up a bit to offset some of the decrease in UKCAT scores.

There is also a 10% increase in medicine school places. That may offset the increase in the numbers of people applying, but that will be the case moreso at Uni's with additional places, but not at the Uni's who have the same number of places as last year. Of the ones you mentioned all except King's and Glasgow have additional places available.

I think your logic probably holds true for the Uni's with additional places to offset the extra candidates applying, assuming they increase their number of interviews to compensate.

It may not hold true for the Uni's with no extra places.

And, of course, not all the Uni's you mention have cut off scores around 7th decile. Last year, Liverpool was 615, Southampton and Newcastle were around 645.
Reply 98
Original post by medjoy
Hello,
I would like some advice on my fourth choice please.Im applying to Leeds,Manchester,Newcastle and cannot decide between Sheffield and St Andrews.
with no biology in A or AS levels restricts me applying to many universities. My other A level subjects are Chemistry,Maths and Economics.
Would love to apply to sheffield but not sure about UKCAT cutoff .
My GCSE-7A* 2A 1B
AS- BBBC
Predicted A levels-AAA
UKCAT- 2640 Band 1

Please see my previous post and the discussion around movement of UKCAT scores on the same page. Sheffield UKCAT cut off was 672 last year but they may have miscalculated slightly because they entered clearing. They do have extra places available this year to offset the increase in the number of candidates applying, and I think they said that they're interviewing more people.

That could bring the UKCAT score down to your level and my instinct is that you have a good chance - but, of course, that's just guesswork. It probably depends how much you like the place, and whether you're willing to take some level of risk.
Reply 99
With 3A*, 4A, 2B GCSE
7th decile ukcat, STJ Band 1
AAA predictions

Is Nottingham or Leicester safer for me? I know neither is really a great choice but it’s my final choice. I already have 3 safer ones.

Latest

Trending

Trending