Met police detective constable shl verbal reasoning test Watch

jenv
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi all,

I just completed the verbal reasoning test for the DC role. In the midst of doing the test, I started panicking and could hear my heart thumping which meant that some of my focus went there. I kept trying to calm myself down but feel like I answered most of the questions wrong, after that started. First time this has ever happened to me in the middle of a test. I've done quite a few online verbal/numerical tests for other jobs previously. Tried calling up recruitment to ask them to resend but had no luck. Anyone else find the verbal test stressful?
Vexper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The SJT/verbal/numerical reasoning tests are all the same to an extent across different sectors in recruitment. If you got really stressed and panicky doing them then you need to practice more. No employer will let you do it again because of panic as it shows you can't operate under 'pressure' anyway (also there's the chance of cheating) Don't take it too hard, just go online and practice more. You'll get another chance at some point if it didn't work out.
stuckstudents
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I was struggling a lot with my verbals (also numerical but hey who's counting) and found this guy John Smith Tests he's been helping me out ever since Probably just means you were super passionate about this particular app thou ?
jenv
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by stuckstudents)
I was struggling a lot with my verbals (also numerical but hey who's counting) and found this guy John Smith Tests he's been helping me out ever since Probably just means you were super passionate about this particular app thou ?
Yea I was..... It's my dream job. And happy to say I passed!! On to the next stage.I'm stoked and on cloud nine.

Good luck with whatever you're practicing for!!
Appli12
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Did you get any feedback on your results? e.g. what your pass percentage was? I need to take the same test and am just wondering what the threshold is to pass
jenv
Rep:
?
(Original post by Appli12)
Did you get any feedback on your results? e.g. what your pass percentage was? I need to take the same test and am just wondering what the threshold is to pass
They didn't know what the pass mark is as it's done automatically via online systems.

I was told I got 91 percentile. Pass is probably around 70....
Appli12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by jenv)
They didn't know what the pass mark is as it's done automatically via online systems.

I was told I got 91 percentile. Pass is probably around 70....
Ah okay. Yeah probably. Congrats!
Have you now been asked to complete the detective test then? Any idea what that involves?
jenv
Rep:
?
Thanks!I'm still waiting on dates for the detective assessment. It may happen in December.....will know when I get an invite.
Pollyas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I applied for a PC constable role and successfully passed my day one assessment do any of you guys think i can make a transfer for the role of a trainee detective constable and sit the verbal reasoning test? Because the first stage for both PC and TDC is to pass day one assessment which i passed. Any ideas?
Last edited by Pollyas; 7 months ago
jenv
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Pollyas)
I applied for a PC constable role and successfully passed my day one assessment do any of you guys think i can make a transfer for the role of a trainee detective constable and sit the verbal reasoning test? Because the first stage for both PC and TDC is to pass day one assessment which i passed. Any ideas?
From what i know doubt they will let you change over. If you had applied for both they would have transferred your day 1 results for PC to the TDC pathway.

It may take you longer but you can apply to become a detective after being a PC for a year or so.

I would say give recruitment a call and ask.... At least then you'll know for sure.

Good luck!
Pollyas
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by jenv)
From what i know doubt they will let you change over. If you had applied for both they would have transferred your day 1 results for PC to the TDC pathway.

It may take you longer but you can apply to become a detective after being a PC for a year or so.

I would say give recruitment a call and ask.... At least then you'll know for sure.

Good luck!
Thank you!
Yes i’ll deffoo give them a call and see what they say!

I actually applied for both but i didnt pass day 1 for TDC then i had the PC day 1 assessment few weeks after and passed. Hopefully they’ll let me change!
hannahhthomass
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I found it stressful too, how long did it take to get yours results back? Good luck with the next stages
username4372408
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Pollyas)
Thank you!
Yes i’ll deffoo give them a call and see what they say!

I actually applied for both but i didnt pass day 1 for TDC then i had the PC day 1 assessment few weeks after and passed. Hopefully they’ll let me change!
Were they similar in any way? So what types of things did you cover during the day one assessment for TDC
cort1212
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by jenv)
Thanks!I'm still waiting on dates for the detective assessment. It may happen in December.....will know when I get an invite.
Have you had your detective assesment now then? Mine will be in jan, have no idea what to expect!!
Appli12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by cort1212)
Have you had your detective assesment now then? Mine will be in jan, have no idea what to expect!!
Have you actually got a confirmed date for the detective day or is it your medical day that you’ve got booked? Only I called them the other week and they said that the Detective Assessment Day still wasn’t ready and that they didn’t know when it was going to be ready so I’ve had to book my medical day for January. The process is so long winded!
cort1212
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Oh okay, yeah they just said that they anticipate it’ll be in jan! I’ve booked my medical in jan too - and tell me about it! I just want to know roughly what to expect, I can’t find any info anywhere 😩
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
harjotdhami
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Mine day 1 assessment centre is booked for March 2019 but it seems so late now, I thought everyone else's is going to be in 2019. Is it worth me waiting till March to get prepared for it or shall I do the earliest slot?
rgonzalez
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey there!

I've also applied for the TDC graduate scheme but I haven't had any of the online verbal tests. My Day 1 assessment is also booked for March 2019 but I have no idea what to expect. It is so annoying that there is hardly any information on what to expect or the process of what's going to happen.
harjotdhami
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by rgonzalez)
Hey there!

I've also applied for the TDC graduate scheme but I haven't had any of the online verbal tests. My Day 1 assessment is also booked for March 2019 but I have no idea what to expect. It is so annoying that there is hardly any information on what to expect or the process of what's going to happen.
I was thinking the same. I thought online tests happen before the assessment centre
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
rgonzalez
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I would of thought so too. Who knows what is going to happen. Do you know what to expect at the assessment centre?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads