Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
To lose weight and be healthy, I know I must cut off junk food and eat more healthy. But I also want to eat it from time to time. Can I lose weight if I have a cheat day when I can have one unhealthy snack? Will that stop the weight loss?
Gent2324
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
thats how bad habits are formed, it will only get worse that way.

same with smoking, if you have 1 cig every couple days, that turns into 1 everyday etc...

you have to cut it all out, and after a few months, you won't want to have it all anymore.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Gent2324)
thats how bad habits are formed, it will only get worse that way.

same with smoking, if you have 1 cig every couple days, that turns into 1 everyday etc...

you have to cut it all out, and after a few months, you won't want to have it all anymore.
This isn't remotely achievable, desirable or necessary.

(Original post by Anonymous)
To lose weight and be healthy, I know I must cut off junk food and eat more healthy. But I also want to eat it from time to time. Can I lose weight if I have a cheat day when I can have one unhealthy snack? Will that stop the weight loss?
Yes, of course you have. Lots of successful diets have 'cheat days' built into them. It's about balance, about recognising what you're eating rather than shovelling it in, and also recognising that you can enjoy food (even 'bad' food' ) occasionally, so long as you're not having a takeaway every night.

It's not realistic to suggest you can 'never' eat 'junk food' again (and define 'junk food' ) And it's unnecessary too - food is pleasurable, and you should feel you can both enjoy it AND get control of your weight.
LadyEcliptic
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It's more of a lifestyle change rather than a diet.

You're allowed to have cheat days. Restricting yourself completely will only make you crave it more. You can enjoy food and lose weight.

I started tracking macros which seem to be doing the trick. High protein and a calorie deficit. Theoretically you can eat junk, and lose weight if you eat in a calorie deficit but, that's obviously not healthy.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Reality Check)

Yes, of course you have. Lots of successful diets have 'cheat days' built into them. It's about balance, about recognising what you're eating rather than shovelling it in, and also recognising that you can enjoy food (even 'bad' food' ) occasionally, so long as you're not having a takeaway every night.

It's not realistic to suggest you can 'never' eat 'junk food' again (and define 'junk food' ) And it's unnecessary too - food is pleasurable, and you should feel you can both enjoy it AND get control of your weight.
yes I get upset when my friends ask to go out and they want to eat delicious sugary and fatty food but I’m on a “diet”. So like one cheat day every week is fine right? I’ll still lose weight? And by cheat day, can i have as much as I want?
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

yes it is, i know many people who have stopped cheat dayss, they arent effective and they just remind you that the food youre eating isnt as tasty ans what you eat on a cheat day. ive rarely seen cases where cheat days dont escalate into cheat weeks etc...
if you dont have a certain food, and never know what its like to have it, you dont want it. if you have healthy food 24/7, you get use to it and start to like it. bits of junk food inbetween that doesnt help
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LadyEcliptic)

You're allowed to have cheat days. Restricting yourself completely will only make you crave it more. You can enjoy food and lose weight.

I started tracking macros which seem to be doing the trick. High protein and a calorie deficit. Theoretically you can eat junk, and lose weight if you eat in a calorie deficit but, that's obviously not healthy.
I feel though all the days that I missed that I could’ve been eating sugary foods are for no reason because on the cheat day, I’ll have junk food which to me cancels it all out.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
yes I get upset when my friends ask to go out and they want to eat delicious sugary and fatty food but I’m on a “diet”. So like one cheat day every week is fine right? I’ll still lose weight? And by cheat day, can i have as much as I want?
Well....

It's all about moderation. You absolutely shouldn't 'ban' certain foods, or stop yourself enjoying the odd meal out. That's the quickest way for a diet to fail - it's over prescriptive and over restrictive. So yes: you should feel like you can go out and enjoy a meal. But you do need to remember you're still, in the end, trying to create an energy deficit, and by having 'as much as you want' you could easily massively overeat and wipe out the energy deficit you'd created earlier in the week.

So maybe 'moderation' is, yet again, the word. Go out - enjoy your meal and have 'nice' food. But try not to go mad, and recognise that what you are eating is not going to help your weight loss. See it as an informed choice.
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

Restricting yourself completely will only make you crave it more. You can enjoy food and lose weight.
not entirely, unhealthy processed food is designed to make you crave it more and eat it more, the temptation to have it the first time is much easier to overcome than the temptation to have it for the 20th time.
Anonymous #1

Junk food like fast food, sugary snacks like donuts, chocolates, cookies etc and like crisps. Sugary tea, sugary drinks.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

Yes, exactly. Technically, most people could loose weight if they ate 7 mars bars a day...
Anonymous #1
Yes, exactly. Technically, most people could loose weight if they ate 7 mars bars a day...
How? And what’s a calorie deficit?
LadyEcliptic
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
not entirely, unhealthy processed food is designed to make you crave it more and eat it more, the temptation to have it the first time is much easier to overcome than the temptation to have it for the 20th time.
Sugar is addictive.

However, I know cutting it out completely is like going cold turkey with any other addiction (not as severe, I guess) but the principle still applies.

If I cut it out completely I know I'll binge eat it bc I haven't had it in so long.

Whereas if I allow myself little bits here and there, I do a lot better. I don't crave it as much.
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Sugar is addictive.

However, I know cutting it out completely is like going cold turkey with any other addiction (not as severe, I guess) but the principle still applies.

If I cut it out completely I know I'll binge eat it bc I haven't had it in so long.

Whereas if I allow myself little bits here and there, I do a lot better. I don't crave it as much.
sugar is required to stay alive and lets the brain function. glucose is the only fuel source for the brain.
eat 5 fruit a day and you will have enough sugar to sustain yourself
LadyEcliptic
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
How? And what’s a calorie deficit?
Eating under the recommended daily calorie intake.

For women, it's 2000 calories and men 2500.

For me a calorie deficit to lose weight is around 17-1800 calories a day.

Going too low is dangerous. But it does help to lose weight.

You can use a macro calculator to check what calories you could try. You can tweak it for what suits you of course, and some sites will say different so maybe just take 100 off at the start and go from there. If it isn't budging you can take another few calories off.
LadyEcliptic
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
sugar is required to stay alive and lets the brain function. glucose is the only fuel source for the brain.
I'm well aware of how glucose is used in the body, thanks, but everyone is different in how much sugar they intake.

Not everyone is going to get 5 a day fruit wise. It's perfectly acceptable to have everything in moderation, including junk food.
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It's perfectly acceptable to have everything in moderation, including junk food.
acceptable to be what?
if healthy is the answer, then no, healthy people eat healthy food and only healthy food.
if you want to be healthy you should be having 5 fruit a day
Anonymous #1
Eating under the recommended daily calorie intake.

For women, it's 2000 calories and men 2500.

For me a calorie deficit to lose weight is around 17-1800 calories a day.

Going too low is dangerous. But it does help to lose weight.

You can use a macro calculator to check what calories you could try. You can tweak it for what suits you of course, and some sites will say different so maybe just take 100 off at the start and go from there. If it isn't budging you can take another few calories off.
Oh okay. I eat 2000 calories everyday and i don’t know why I’m still so fat. They are mostly sugary but I even eat less than 2000 so I’m pretty confused.

ah okay I guess I’ll have about 1600 calories on the cheat day
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
acceptable to be what?
if healthy is the answer, then no, healthy people eat healthy food and only healthy food.

You really have no idea of what you're talking about, do you? All this stuff you are writing is scientific nonsense.

• Five fruit and veg a day provide nowhere near enough 'sugar to sustain yourself' Where in earth does that come from?
  • No-one needs to eat 'only healthy food', and no-one needs to go on these fad, overly restrictive diets.
  • Glucose is not 'the only fuel source for the brain'. This is biochemistry nonsense.

If you're going to try to help the user, then you need to get the facts right, otherwise you're just misleading him or her.
LadyEcliptic
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
acceptable to be what?
No lol?

There is a guy who eats nothing but junk food. He is super fit, but eats under a calorie deficit and intermittent fasting which allows him to eat so much. If I can find the video I'll link it, but, your diet can include unhealthy things from time to time.

A lot of "healthy" foods tend to be very high in calories as well. Just because it's labelled healthy doesn't mean it is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (115)
24.78%
Pop (108)