Applying for other Unis after Oxbridge deadline Watch

gboswell341
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello everyone, I'm currently taking a gap year and sorting out my application for Cambridge to study Histroy and Politcs before the 15th of October deadline. What I was wondering was if it is still possible to apply for other universities - using UCAS - after I have sent my Cambrdige application off - and if so will i have to create a new UCAS account to do this and/or contact my school for a reference again? thanks
MissMathsxo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gboswell341)
Hello everyone, I'm currently taking a gap year and sorting out my application for Cambridge to study Histroy and Politcs before the 15th of October deadline. What I was wondering was if it is still possible to apply for other universities - using UCAS - after I have sent my Cambrdige application off - and if so will i have to create a new UCAS account to do this and/or contact my school for a reference again? thanks
Yepp, this is completely fine. Just apply to oxbridge before the 15th and add other options for the normal deadline. You'll have to pay money afterwards for applying to more than one uni but it's no more than usual.
gboswell341
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by MissMathsxo)
Yepp, this is completely fine. Just apply to oxbridge before the 15th and add other options for the normal deadline. You'll have to pay money afterwards for applying to more than one uni but it's no more than usual.
cheers for the reply, do you know if I'll have to create a new UCAS profile or if it will let me continue the one I'm using ATM?
MissMathsxo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
cheers for the reply, do you know if I'll have to create a new UCAS profile or if it will let me continue the one I'm using ATM?
You can use the same one. There should just be a button saying add more options or something
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No you just add them using Track. And it can be a good idea to keep back a couple of choices until after you get your Cambridge decision in early January.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2698513
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
No you just add them using Track. And it can be a good idea to keep back a couple of choices until after you get your Cambridge decision in early January.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry if I shouldn't be jumping on an old thread, I just wanted to know the reasoning of leaving choices until after getting your decision? I've seen it all over the place, but I'm not really sure why. Or rather, how I should be seeing it
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AcornFalls)
Sorry if I shouldn't be jumping on an old thread, I just wanted to know the reasoning of leaving choices until after getting your decision? I've seen it all over the place, but I'm not really sure why. Or rather, how I should be seeing it
3 days isn't old

There's a number of reasons, including:

* to give you more time to have a proper look at other potential choices (eg. some have open days in October)

* to be more strategic. Let's say Cambridge is your preferred choice overall but you have a couple of others that are similarly competitive, and have similar offer requirements. That means they aren't good choices as an insurance. So you apply to Cambridge, and wait for the decision. Then on 10th January you get a rejection but you can now apply to the 2 other "good" universities. Or you get accepted and apply elsewhere for a sensible insurance.
username2698513
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
3 days isn't old

There's a number of reasons, including:

* to give you more time to have a proper look at other potential choices (eg. some have open days in October)

* to be more strategic. Let's say Cambridge is your preferred choice overall but you have a couple of others that are similarly competitive, and have similar offer requirements. That means they aren't good choices as an insurance. So you apply to Cambridge, and wait for the decision. Then on 10th January you get a rejection but you can now apply to the 2 other "good" universities. Or you get accepted and apply elsewhere for a sensible insurance.
Ah that finally makes sense Thanks for letting me know - I wasn't really thinking of insurance choices and being sensible and all that! I'll keep it in mind before i apply anywhere else
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
69.7%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (17)
10.3%

Watched Threads