Am I at a disadvantage for not taking triple science gcse

Watch this thread
Speedy speed
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have no interest in studying science into a level study (I want to do English, history and politics) however I am wondering whether not taking it and taking gcse combined science instead will put me at a disadvantage in terms of generally making applications to university/ sixth form in the future. Will it? I am predicted grade 7 and above in combined science btw.
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Speedy speed)
I have no interest in studying science into a level study (I want to do English, history and politics) however I am wondering whether not taking it and taking gcse combined science instead will put me at a disadvantage in terms of generally making applications to university/ sixth form in the future. Will it? I am predicted grade 7 and above in combined science btw.
No disadvantage. GCSEs are more about grades , that you have matsh and English plus pass well the subjects you intend to take at A level.
No need to worry.
Speedy speed
Rep:
(Original post by 999tigger)
No disadvantage. GCSEs are more about grades , that you have matsh and English plus pass well the subjects you intend to take at A level.
No need to worry.
That's great, thanks for the reassurance. I'm predicted good grades in maths and English and I've got the ebacc so I'm sure ill be fine then. Thanks again
Icykitten
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Even if you did want to do sciences at a level you still can with combined, someone in my a level biology did combined and got 66 and they are getting As and Bs at a level so it doesn’t put you at much of a disadvantage if you later decide you want to do a level science.
MrMusician95
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
If you get A/B (not sure the number lol) then you're fine. When you start applying for jobs as well they only care about maths and English.
Speedy speed
Rep:
(Original post by MrMusician95)
If you get A/B (not sure the number lol) then you're fine. When you start applying for jobs as well they only care about maths and English.
(Original post by Icykitten)
Even if you did want to do sciences at a level you still can with combined, someone in my a level biology did combined and got 66 and they are getting As and Bs at a level so it doesn’t put you at much of a disadvantage if you later decide you want to do a level science.
Ah, brilliant. Thanks for the reassurance guys. I think the main reason I got worried about this is because of the governments recent push of STEM subjects which has been very prevalent in my school (most people want to go into STEM based careers and a levels now) and being a person wanting to go on a more humanities based route, it's a bit belittling when thinking about things like this, but of course this is good news
Tolgash
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Ah, brilliant. Thanks for the reassurance guys. I think the main reason I got worried about this is because of the governments recent push of STEM subjects which has been very prevalent in my school (most people want to go into STEM based careers and a levels now) and being a person wanting to go on a more humanities based route, it's a bit belittling when thinking about things like this, but of course this is good news
Have no fear mate. I know what you mean. I got 8-8 in GCSE Combined Science and am competing on very even terms with most of the separate science students at A-level in chemistry.
Speedy speed
Rep:
(Original post by Tolgarda)
Have no fear mate. I know what you mean. I got 8-8 in GCSE Combined Science and am competing on very even terms with most of the separate science students at A-level in chemistry.
Thanks the reply, very reassuring again. I hope you get greats grades in chemistry !
Loci Pi
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It won't make any difference, especially if you do well at Combined Science. I did GCSE Combined Science this year as my school didn't offer triple and got 88 (one mark off 98 after a remark, lol). I'm doing A Level Physics and doing well and getting the same grades in tests as those in my class who did Triple Science.

Best of luck with your Science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (8)
22.86%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
8.57%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
11.43%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
8.57%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
22.86%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
25.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise