English literature Essays A LEVEL

Watch this thread
Murphy2222
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can anyone help me find a good structure or any planning tips for an English literature a level essay please? Any good tips for how to practice writing them and good points to know when writing an essay?
username4064618
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Hi I'm in the same boat as you - I have my first essay tomorrow.
I posted basically the same thing the other week and someone commented this -
"Quotes are less important than in high school. In high school, you probably used PEE, focusing mostly on the first "E".
Don't do that in Sixth Form. Come up with a solid idea, find one or two short quotes (less than 6/7 words) to support you, and go hard on your analysis. Sometimes a one-two word quote will do.
You should do your "explaining" in your "point", and start to analyse after your "evidence".
Think about context - the time in which the original audience would have been based, any political/religious beliefs that may have affect the writings, and - if you know them - any events in the author's life that may influence the text. For example, Charlotte Bronte was a governess and did go to a school where the majority of girls died from TB, much like Jane Eyre did.
Also think about critical opinions. What have other critics said about the text, and why might they have thought that? Do you agree with them? Why/why not?"
Hope this helps - good luck!
auolique
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Always write with the AOs in mind as that is what you are marked against.
Write with a sophisticated style- avoid colloquialisms as it just plays down the point you are making.
If it is a comparative essay, find links between text that are unusual and not the ones everyone will use.
With context, make sure it is specific. For example, you could say 'Othello was written at a time where the audience was racist' but it would be better to say 'As Othello was written in the Jacobean era, the slave trade was rife and thus it influenced the audience's perception on Othello's race'.
Terminology is key - there is really no excuse at A level to not know your terminology.

Hope this helps!
History_helper.
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sarahmichellexo)
Hi I'm in the same boat as you - I have my first essay tomorrow.
I posted basically the same thing the other week and someone commented this -
"Quotes are less important than in high school. In high school, you probably used PEE, focusing mostly on the first "E".
Don't do that in Sixth Form. Come up with a solid idea, find one or two short quotes (less than 6/7 words) to support you, and go hard on your analysis. Sometimes a one-two word quote will do.
You should do your "explaining" in your "point", and start to analyse after your "evidence".
Think about context - the time in which the original audience would have been based, any political/religious beliefs that may have affect the writings, and - if you know them - any events in the author's life that may influence the text. For example, Charlotte Bronte was a governess and did go to a school where the majority of girls died from TB, much like Jane Eyre did.
Also think about critical opinions. What have other critics said about the text, and why might they have thought that? Do you agree with them? Why/why not?"
Hope this helps - good luck!
Yes we did PEA in high school. Context links are also needed at A level
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (16)
16.67%
The paper was reasonable (34)
35.42%
Not feeling great about that exam... (33)
34.38%
It was TERRIBLE (13)
13.54%

Watched Threads