The Student Room Group

80% college attendance. Applying to Cambridge

So I’ve got roughly 80% attendance and have just been told that this figure is stated in your reference. How much of an impact will this have on my chances of being accepted into a top uni like Cambridge?
Reply 1
Original post by reuben202
So I’ve got roughly 80% attendance and have just been told that this figure is stated in your reference. How much of an impact will this have on my chances of being accepted into a top uni like Cambridge?

Why did you only have 80% attendance?
Reply 2
Original post by Ak4753
Why did you only have 80% attendance?

Had about 95% up until my AS exams. Didn’t come in to college for ages. Instead was revising at home. This was very beneficial, leant way more at home than I would in college.
Reply 3
Had about 95% up until my AS exams. Didn’t come in to college for ages. Instead was revising at home. This was very beneficial, leant way more at home than I would in college.

LOOOOOL you had 80% because you went home to revise for your exams? This is what overreacting looks like.

No. This is not likely to be the reason they reject you.
Reply 4
Original post by Ak4753
LOOOOOL you had 80% because you went home to revise for your exams? This is what overreacting looks like.

No. This is not likely to be the reason they reject you.

Right well that overreaction got me straight As so
Reply 5

I sincerely hope your tenacity and not overreaction got you straight A*s. Cuz if it's the latter you wouldn't survive in a company regardless of your degree--employers don't like workers who overreact.

And straight A*s is an amazing accomplishment. It is important to remember that you will be going against candidates who have that and also possess calm heads--they don't overreact. Don't overreact in your interview lol. Good luck.

It wouldn't preclude your making an application, but they might want to know why you've got such a low attendance, given that you haven't been ill or anything.
Original post by Reality Check
It wouldn't preclude your making an application, but they might want to know why you've got such a low attendance, given that you haven't been ill or anything.

Is attendance included in UCAS or does uni have to request it?
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies guys. So from the sounds of it, low attendance won’t make a major difference to my chances which is a relief. I’ll just have to come up with a good excuse if they ask why it’s so low. Wasn’t an overeaction. Didn’t know at the time of my absence that attendance must be recorded in reference. So if I get my target of 3 a*s and don’t **** up the interview I should be good? Literally praying attendance doesn’t **** me.
Reply 9
Original post by Arctic Kitten

My college said it’s put on your ucas application but before I heard that I thought if you didn’t want attendance to be seen you didn’t have to put it on. So who knows

Good question - and I'm not sure of the answer so don't want to guess. @Doonesbury - can I trouble you for an answer on this? :smile:

This. Is it common practice for your centre to send off your attendance in your reference?
My college said it’s put on your ucas application but before I heard that I thought if you didn’t want attendance to be seen you didn’t have to put it on. So who knows

Original post by Jackudy3
This. Is it common practice for your centre to send off your attendance in your reference?

I don't think so, my attendance wasn't very high either, but no uni contacted. Maybe they boosted it up? lol
Reply 13

It's entirely up to your referee if they want to mention it or not.

I doubt Cambridge will be interested in the slightest if your academics are up to scratch. It's not a factor for their admissions.

Original post by Reality Check
Good question - and I'm not sure of the answer so don't want to guess. @Doonesbury - can I trouble you for an answer on this? :smile:

There's no section for attendance. A referee can mention it if they want to (but they rarely do).
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending