The Student Room Group

HELPPP! Year 12 needing help!!!!!

Hi there,

Basically next week i have to do work experience in Year 12 for less than a week. How can i find this?

And im stressing out about my options. Its not too late to change is it? As in i know my deadline, and i know im capable to catch up, but its ok now right?

Thanks
Reply 1
Bumppp
Reply 2
bumpppp
Hey, what are you studying hun?
I initially tried sending out emails to get work shadowing opportunities, but wound up just going to my dad's workplace as it's well known and highly relevant to what I'd like to do anyway.

My advice is to get in the faces of companies. Walk through their front door and ask them if you have to, that way they can't give you a generic rejection email.
Reply 5
literally just ask anyone and everyone if you could shadow them. Worst they can do is turn you down. Ask around your family if they know anyone who can help or ask your careers teacher if they know of places that are accepting people for placements.

If you're not comfortable with your options you can still change if you talk to your timetabler, it's better to be safe now than sorry late. It might be difficult to catch up on any work you missed if you pick up a new subject, but it'll probably be worth it in the long run
Reply 6
At this point, I would get anything you could and make it as relevant as possible. A week is not much notice however and most major companies, businesses and other potentially relevant employers would have needed to fill out safety forms etc. It isn't easy giving minors work placements and much more paperwork comes into it (child protection etc.).
Worst comes to worst talk to your school and request to start working on an EPQ. My school offered that to anyone who didn't find a placement in time. Then all I can recommend is keep looking and try to get something organised for half-terms or other holidays for a week. I cannot emphasise how vital relevant experience is for personal statements etc. It really comes through a letter of application when you can tell what the person has a passion for and then has the examples to back up otherwise meaningless generic statements.

Don't panic about finding something amazing now and ask about doing an EPQ in the week as well. Get anything you can and keep looking. Depends wholly on where you want to go but when I was trying to find Chemistry experience it was next to impossible due to all the regulations.

Good Luck.
Reply 7
Original post by RhiaHargx
Hey, what are you studying hun?

Further maths
maths
chemistry
physics
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies! Is there a website i can use to do this? Or shall i just go to my dad's workplace?
I seriously dont see the point know as im still deciding what to do with my career.
Original post by Anonymous
Further maths
maths
chemistry
physics

Okay nice, the advice above is pretty solid. I can only really emphasise to just phone up companies. You may want some accounting experience or anything like that. Call up a bank. Work exp is a lot of trial and error and it will take you forever but you’ll get something!!
Thanks for the replies! Is there a website i can use to do this? Or shall i just go to my dad's workplace?
I seriously dont see the point know as im still deciding what to do with my career.

Try everything since you’re still deciding. I don’t know of any sites though. Its more of a ‘search your local companies and call up’
Hi there,

Basically next week i have to do work experience in Year 12 for less than a week. How can i find this?

And im stressing out about my options. Its not too late to change is it? As in i know my deadline, and i know im capable to catch up, but its ok now right?

Thanks

Thats interesting, I'm year 12 and they gave me the option to do work experience and I said no.
Original post by Hiddenguy381
Thats interesting, I'm year 12 and they gave me the option to do work experience and I said no.

luckyy.....
Original post by RhiaHargx
Try everything since you’re still deciding. I don’t know of any sites though. Its more of a ‘search your local companies and call up’

oh ok, thank you!!!!
Guys im gonna be in 'pain'; till next week (bless me). Honestly i need to get my things together.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending