The Student Room Group

AFP or not

Hi guys,

Was wondering if I could get any opinions on whether or not to apply to AFP. I'm interested in med education, and would like to go into it at some point. But I'm not sure whether or not to apply for it as part of the foundation application. Would it have any impact further down the line not doing it now? Is foundation even a good time to do that kind of thing?

Thank you!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

Was wondering if I could get any opinions on whether or not to apply to AFP. I'm interested in med education, and would like to go into it at some point. But I'm not sure whether or not to apply for it as part of the foundation application. Would it have any impact further down the line not doing it now? Is foundation even a good time to do that kind of thing?

Thank you!

Sure can't hurt - places are competitive and the deadline is very close though. But AFP is a free shot - it will have no impact on the rest of your foundation programme application, so you may as well give it a go!

If you don't get it, definitely not the end of the world. Lots of people do medical education in an F3 year - super common. It's really up to you how much and when you decide to do this sort of thing :smile:
To add, I put mine in just cuz I thought it was a silly thing to be debating "ooooh should I do AFP or not" thing as if as it was going to be a given that you'd get it and do it if you apply! Go for it I'd say, and you can decide later when the offers come :smile:
Honestly there seem to be very few downsides to applying. If you don't like the job you're offered you don't have to take it (in fact i think you only apply to jobs you want right?). Even if you were completely neutral about the rotations, its an extra chance to get into the deanery you want, so just apply. In many cases the rotations are in fact very preferable, with AFP jobs sometimes being the only jobs in a deanery with both years in the most popular location.

There is also this perception, whether correct or not, that if you are in AFP you are just better and are more deserving of audit and research opportunities. I know of SHOs who have missed out on career-specific opportunities just because the academic FY1 heard about it and wanted it instead (and then did a terrible job!).

If in doubt, just apply.
Original post by Anonymous

Would it have any impact further down the line not doing it now? Is foundation even a good time to do that kind of thing?

I'm not applying for AFP (for various reasons), but I have thought about academia. I've spoken to several people about it, and read plenty of the good material out there online. Some take home points for me were:

- AFP/ACF isn't some sort of mandatory stepping stone
- You can get onto the ladder at later points in your career
- This system didn't use to exist and it didn't stop our seniors becoming academics

There was also an interesting argument that following an unconventional path, whilst arguably harder work, allows you some more freedom in focusing on what you really love doing. A similar argument to the benefits of choosing a specialty after an F3 year or a couple of years out / working abroad.

As people above have said though - if you can, why not? Nothing to lose.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you! Really appreciate it, think I'm just being indecisive. Decided to apply in the end :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest