The Student Room Group

I had a one-night stand and I hate myself. Should I tell my partner?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Allieprx
Well, you have lived through many years of trauma, some of which is caused by your family, as you explained. You dont need us to define who you are as a person, as you know that already.
There have been countless patterns of bad behavour in your life. You are on a destructive path and cant seem to break free.
I dont think you should tell your boyfriend about your one night with someone else, as you said you got drunk after a long period of managing without booze. You then had sex with some random guy, and cant really recall what happened during periods of blackout. Incidentally, the guy who you slept with is just as much to blame as he took advantage of you when you were pissed.
If your long term boyfriend doesnt understand by now your potential to self destruct or become overly possesive of him after 18 months, he probably never will anyway. But, you wil probably find if you did tell him what happened that night, that he will not be surprised. Because, your battle is with alcoholic abuse which leads you to act against your will. He knows that and he understands your family history. Yet, he still loves you. Maybe, when the time feels right in future, you may want to share your story with him. But, for now. it is time to start rebuilding your life and regaining self confidence and self worth.
Time is a great healer of destructive behaviour, providing you choose to believe that.
Begin each day by choosing not to hate yourself, as you said you do. Find positive things in your past to dwell on and learn to appreciate yourself more. For one thing, your boyfriend must think you are a special girl to remain with you after 18 months, which is a credit to you.
It is no use trying to undo the past story of your life as that will always be there. Start a new book instead. Reinvent yourself by taking massive action in a new direction. It may be a new job, University, friendships, career, a sport you like or a business decision. What about helping others who are just beginning with similar problems of BPD ? Your achievements could be just the motivation they need to start again.
It is not easy to appreciate ourselves when we have failed for the zillionth time. Failed again and again, repeatedly. But, this world is full of people who have come back from terrible hardships and trauma, and found peace. Its not easy, its very tough to change. But, I believe in you and am sure you can rebuild your life. if you stick with it.

seems like females love excusing the actions of other females. As she stated no one took advantage of her and her bf has a right to know. She does not get to keep this to herself. He has the right to react to this. If he decides to leave her then i wouldn't blame him.
Reply 61
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Personally I wouldn't suggest you tell him. You'd only hurt him. If either 1) the guilt eats away at your conscience, either go write it down and chuck the paper/burn it. Or 2) break up with him.

If you happened to sleep with someone else again, you definitely need to end things.

Once is by accident, twice is on purpose.

i'm pretty sure any guy in this situation would want to know. He should have the right to know and then he should decide what to do. Stop making excuses for her
Reply 62
Watch the latest episode of modern family, that’ll answer your question! In short, no. People overreact and can ruin great things, if it’s a mistake you regret and won’t make again, I don’t think you need to say anything for now. If you want to build your relationship more, do that first then confess. Don’t confess first because you’ll hinder the building of your relationship.
From what you have said cheating is the least of your problems.
Original post by 3121
Watch the latest episode of modern family, that’ll answer your question! In short, no. People overreact and can ruin great things, if it’s a mistake you regret and won’t make again, I don’t think you need to say anything for now. If you want to build your relationship more, do that first then confess. Don’t confess first because you’ll hinder the building of your relationship.

So if your partner cheated you'd bit want to know and if you found on further down the line you'd have happy they didn't tell you?
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Personally I wouldn't suggest you tell him. You'd only hurt him. If either 1) the guilt eats away at your conscience, either go write it down and chuck the paper/burn it. Or 2) break up with him.

If you happened to sleep with someone else again, you definitely need to end things.

Once is by accident, twice is on purpose.

Once is never excusable.

The guy has a right to know so he can “decide” if he can forgive once or not.

You nor his girlfriend have a right to make that decision for him. He has a right to make his decisions.
Original post by MrMusician95
So if your partner cheated you'd bit want to know and if you found on further down the line you'd have happy they didn't tell you?

like?the amount of dumbass responses here
"oh don't tell him cos it'll only hurt him!" well duh

That's why you don't put yourself in a situation where one thing would lead to another for pete's sake.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm almost 30 I too made this mistake.
I was 19 at the time stupidly drunk and too have mental health problems which did not help. I felt really guilty but didn't tell my partner, perhaps selfish but fact it would of hurt him, fact he would never of looked at me the same again and fact that would have broke me and sent me spiralling more. Instead I admitted only to myself I had screwed up and vowed to myself never to make that mistake again.
We have now been together for 10 years and have a 7 year old and we are the perfect family unit. Yes my mistake still lurks around in there somewhere and makes me feel guilty at times. I look at my family and do not regret my decision one bit.

Don't let people make you feel guilty or horrible about yourself. We are human, we do make mistakes. Also I know if my partner cheated on me as a one off, I would rather not know because it would destroy me in that I would never trust him again and I don't want to lose him. Continuous betrayal or an on going affair on the other hand is completely different, that's not learning from mistakes. So learn your lesson now and move on xx

oh really? time would come where you might have a chance to cheat again and definitely get away with it. You'll weigh the pros and cons in your mind and you will give in, cos the last time you did it, he didn't ask and you sure as hell didn't tell. Stuff always manifests in due time and once you get used to this behavior again he'll end up finding out because you would get overconfident.

And...the only reason you wouldn't want to find out if he cheated one time and didn't tell you is because YOU DID and you didn't tell, therefore it'll only make you feel even, not happy. Stop lying and own up for pete's sake, if he finds out himself he can lose it and end that family unit of yours. truth hurts yeah, but a withheld lie or a mountain of them is a stab in the back
Reply 68
and never date again?

I just feel like a lot of you are here to attack me when I have stated I know it was wrong. Im not someone who has planned it and has been going about it sneakily and doesnt regret it. I have woken up like oh ******** hell I have really messed up.

Issues or no issues have you not ever woken up with a stomach churning sense of dread ? I am devastated and I feel y'all just want to paint me as some cold unfeeling cow and not really offer anything I can work with

You are asking what to do then complaining when people tell you your only good action for going forward and why you need to do it. If you don't want to hear people tell you to get help and fix your destructive behavious then don't go online. People are just going to keep saying the same things here.
No I get that. I do want the opinions to fess up, I just feel like a lot of people want to tell me how *****y they think I am when that was never in doubt

Just tell the truth, and when you do it don't make excuses. Seems obvious but when you're in the middle of doing so and you see him getting angry you have the natural inclination to lay off the blame to something else, Don't.

Tell him. It would be beyond your control what happens, but its a consequence of your actions.

As for your drinking habit, you've reiterated that all the avenues you've gone down haven't worked and you've given up on them, i get that. Are you Christian?
Original post by Oruese

As for your drinking habit, you've reiterated that all the avenues you've gone down haven't worked and you've given up on them, i get that. Are you Christian?

No I was and went to a Catholic school when I was younger but I no longer practice.
Reply 71
I have PDs and they should never be an excuse for *****y behaviour. Are you under any treatment? Would highly recommend going back to the doctors if you've fallen off the wagon, so to say.

P.S tell him. I get the guilt, dread in the stomach feeling. It will only get worse.
I am not using it as an excuse. I was explaining the context of what happened, what I am like and our relationship and yes that second part is consructive thanks was considering doing that I am just worried about having a medical record of it
Yes how many times do I need to say that i get that point. I have accepted i know i have a problem and i did it anyway. Because I cant bear life to go smoothly. That is my problem I know and I am responsible. Why does no one seem to get that I do realise that?

My only concern is what will cause him more harm

I would tell him, he may find out anyway. No excuse for what you did, you wouldn't like it if you got cheated on.
Reply 74
I am not using it as an excuse. I was explaining the context of what happened, what I am like and our relationship and yes that second part is consructive thanks was considering doing that I am just worried about having a medical record of it

If you don't have a medical record, have you self diagnosed then? I wouldn't worry loads.
I would say you need to tell him. To me it's not important if it's a one off or not. You cheated. And it may happen again since you don't appear to have your alcohol issues under control. Plus if he finds out in the future it will be even more hurtful that you kept it from him.
Original post by 69XD69SMOLDONG
Repent.

nail on the head.
Reply 77
Original post by WaffleApple
Tell him, no offense but i think he has the right to know the sort of woman he is dating.

If i was your boyfriend, i would dump your arse in 10 seconds flat.

Alcohol simply isn't an excuse. You knew you would be at risk of cheating when drunk ect.

That's all well and good when you're with someone that doesn't have a PD. I know OP doesn't see it as an excuse, but I'd take that into consideration big time. Personality disorders mess you up.
Reply 78
Original post by MrMusician95

If it was just the one, I’d be more forgiving further down the line than if she told me the next day
Yes how many times do I need to say that i get that point. I have accepted i know i have a problem and i did it anyway. Because I cant bear life to go smoothly. That is my problem I know and I am responsible. Why does no one seem to get that I do realise that?

My only concern is what will cause him more harm

You should tell him. Yes, it will hurt him but pain teaches us lessons. Namely, he'll learn not to date somebody like you again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending