What did you talk about for your English GCSE speaking

Watch
Stargirl2.0
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm soon to do my GCSE English speaking exam and have been told that we get to pick what we talk about. At the moment I have no idea. They said to talk about what we are interested in but all I can think of for me is Taylor swift which I can't exactly talk about for 10 minutes you know😅 so I'm just looking for ideas of topics to talk about. Please let me know hat you did/will do or give me a possible topic to talk about thanksss
ThatGuy107
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did about dementia as I had recently lost my grandma to it at that point. Just do something you’re passionate about. If it makes you feel better, I’m in year 13 and I have never been asked about my speaking once.
Stargirl2.0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thomas_Grimes_17)
I did about dementia as I had recently lost my grandma to it at that point. Just do something you’re passionate about. If it makes you feel better, I’m in year 13 and I have never been asked about my speaking once.
😂 Thank you. Hope you are alright now. What result did you get?
ThatGuy107
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sian.M.A)
😂 Thank you. Hope you are alright now. What result did you get?
Distinction (if that’s what it’s called). Honestly they make out like it’s some huge deal and it literally isn’t at all 😂. And thanks I’m fine now.
Daisy02
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I spoke about learning languages - how it affects jobs, the way you think, ways to learn etc.
Stargirl2.0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thomas_Grimes_17)
Distinction (if that’s what it’s called). Honestly they make out like it’s some huge deal and it literally isn’t at all 😂. And thanks I’m fine now.
Good to know ❤️ and well done
username4171924
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We were allocated stuff to talk about eg different themes/ideas in the literature we were studying

But you can pretty much talk about anything
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We didn't get a choice about what we spoke about. Our speaking exams were two weeks after returning from work experience, so we all had to give a talk about what we had done, what we had learned, and then take questions from the rest of the class. It was a decent idea to be fair, as it gave everyone something to talk about.
Dom0401
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The speaking exam doesn't count toward the final grade so just take it as some presentation experience. Personally, I did mine on why the common hawk is a magnificent creature due to its impressive aerodynamic design and its ability to combat both small and large prey.
General advise I can give is that if you are asked to present on quite literally anything take the p**s and do something utterly ridiculous.
On my work experience, I was asked to give a presentation on the best pastry I had ever eaten on the spot, no preparation, no powerpoint, nothing. The purpose was to see who had an intuitive grasp of the skills required to present. A powerpoint is not a presentation; it is a tool to aid one. Always remember that and as I said before speaking about weird things actually gives me much more confidence when presenting.
For example why not "Retaking Facebook: Should all account ages over 40 be banned?"

I got a distinction with that topic
RobPhilipson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I talked about the bombing of Syria as this was a major debate in the news at the time. I think that talking about a contraversial topic that you're passionate about is a good way to go. I got a distinction if that means anything.
Infinite Series
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can talk about almost anything. The topic doesn't matter on it's own.
I did mine on the impact of smartphones on society. I didn't do much research into it, but I presented with confidence as I have good public speaking skills, so it was that which actually impressed my teacher and earned me a distinction
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (227)
61.02%
No (77)
20.7%
Not sure (68)
18.28%

Watched Threads