The Student Room Group

Is uni worth it?

Besides making amazing friends & having the best experiences, is uni really worth it? I am the oldest out of my 6 siblings & my parents are really strict on money, and im worrying that ill forever will be in dept, and all i want to do is travel but you cant really travel when your a broke student so i dont know if i should get a full time job and work my way up(hopefully). How does everyone else feel about it?
It depends on the individual - for some, uni will be a good opportunity to get the skills and info to pursue a career that they have great interest in, e.g. students who wish to be engineers and doctors will go to uni to pursue this path.

For others, they will prefer to go into employment and work their way up, or earn and learn at the same time.
Original post by Miathompsonx
Besides making amazing friends & having the best experiences, is uni really worth it? I am the oldest out of my 6 siblings & my parents are really strict on money, and im worrying that ill forever will be in dept, and all i want to do is travel but you cant really travel when your a broke student so i dont know if i should get a full time job and work my way up(hopefully). How does everyone else feel about it?

if you can get a good job without uni then don't go imo. if you can't, then do it
Reply 3
Hi there. I graduated 2009 so I've been out in the real world for almost a decade now. My advice would be do it! With a few caveats. Do you know what you want to do, as a career, I mean? This for me would be the most important thing. Theres no point going just for the sake of going, you need a game plan. There are two types of students, those that go to learn for the sake of learning, and those who go to get a job.Those in the first group, in my experience, are the ones still working in Currys on a Saturday.

I can honestly say I had the best time of my life at uni (Software Engineering, Bristol) , but if I hadn't got my plan together before going, and identified my career path, it would have equated to a 15k debt and not much else. My advice would also be, don't pick a degree that doesn't train you towards a specific job - English , for example.

Remember, as you get a little work experience , your aptitude for really making a success at uni will increase. Were only entitled to 4? Years (I think?) of student loans , so if you're not entirely made up on what it is you want to do with your life , I would say work for a while until you know what it is you want to do, then go to uni.

From the debt perspective, I'm paying 200£/month from my salary in repayments. It's annoying at first, but mentally, you just see at as another bit of tax after a while. Please don't let the debt part put you off. agree with previous post, if your chosen career can be obtained without uni, at least consider alternative routes.

Ultimately, the choice has to be your own, don't just do something because all your friends are.
Whatever you choose, good luck.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
If you have to ask then don't go. Wait until you're older or have thought carefully about what you want to do. I'm assuming you can't afford to "travel" so I'd just write that idea off straight away. Save up and go on holiday regularly instead. You'll visit more places in a more productive way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending