A GYG for smart people (A*A*A*): Kat's Painfully Long Journey to University Watch

Missradioactive
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by je m'en fiche)
Monday!
Good morning everyone! :wings: I am feel like quite refreshed this morning so I hope I will be able to do loads today!

Targets:

Spoiler:
Show
1. Interview prep: Read "the Psychology Book"
2. TSA prep: review questions 2013 TSA (and do another section 2 if possible)
3. Meals: supermarket, cook dinner, do the dishes
4. Tidy room

Timetable:

11:30 - 12:30 Read and make notes
12:30 - 2:00 Reheat lunch and do dishes
2:00 - 2:30 Do problem solving questions
2:30 - 3:00 Tidy room
3:00 - 4:30 Supermarket
4:30 - 5:00 Break
5:00 - 6: 00 Read again
6:00 - 8:00 Cook and eat dinner + wash up
8:00 - 8:15 Emails
8:15 - 10:00 Blank slot + sleep :sleep:

Spoiler:
Show
The blank slots help me to reduce the impact on my schedule in case an event runs overtime. Usually, I would put them earlier in the day (eg 4pm instead of 10pm) but since I have given myself more than enough time for each event today I have put the blank slot at the end of the day.
I'm highlighting my breaks to make me feel better throughout the day.:heart:

Personal Life:

Spoiler:
Show
I am at my guardian's house for my half term since I am a homeless child in this country. He works every weekday so right now I have a whole flat to my own, which also means cooking lunch and dinner as well as doing the laundry myself. It's always fun to be able to cook yourself (except for the time I had a stomach ache after giving myself raw chicken to eat) but it's harder than I thought. You would think you know how to make something for yourself to eat until you actually do it. Well, I am polishing up for my survival skills for uni!

Tag:
Hi :hello:

You sound like a really nice girl, and my heart goes out to you :heart:

I really want to watch you grow and become even more strong, I know you can do this, and yes girl- brush up those uni survival skills 🔥

Congrats on your predicted grades too

Add me to the tag list please
je m'en fiche
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Missradioactive)
Hi :hello:

You sound like a really nice girl, and my heart goes out to you :heart:

I really want to watch you grow and become even more strong, I know you can do this, and yes girl- brush up those uni survival skills 🔥

Congrats on your predicted grades too

Add me to the tag list please
Aww, thank you so much :heart: You are so supportive
Missradioactive
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aww, thank you so much :heart: You are so supportive
Np
je m'en fiche
Rep:
?
Acknowledgements From All 5 Choices Recieved
So up to today I have recieved the acknowledgements from all 5 choices. yay:excited:

Targets:

Spoiler:
Show
Personal admin stuff
Go to supermarket and cook lunch + dinner
Do TSA 2010 Section 1
Write one essay question from TSA Section 2

Timetable:

1:30 - 3:00 Supermarket, cook, lunch, wash dishes
3:00-4:00 Admin stuff, emails
4:00-6:00 TSA 2010 Section 1 + TSA section 2
6:00-8:00 Cook, dinner, wash dishes, break
8:00-10:00 Check answers and learn them

Personal Life:

Spoiler:
Show
I started my day late (after lunch!) because I slept at 1-ish am yesterday, woke up late, spent hours on my bed watching videos. I could have spaced my things to do evenly throughout the day but my brain says no, so now my afternoon is just packed with things I have to do. :sigh:
I had to call UCAS this morning for some personal reasons. I was extremely nervous before the call, but the woman picking it up is so nice. It went better than I thought. (phew) It's embarassing to say I am proud of myself for calling someone I don't know

Tag list: :emog:

Tate00
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good to hear about your UCAS (I haven't even sent mine yet :lol:) good luck!
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yay for getting all 5 acknowledgements!! :woo:
I totally relate with feeling nervous before talking to someone. It's just so nerve-wracking because you don't know how they'll act... but I'm glad that the lady you spoke to was nice :yes:
rm.25
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Congrats on UCAS!!
Missradioactive
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Acknowledgements From All 5 Choices Recieved
So up to today I have recieved the acknowledgements from all 5 choices. yay:excited:

Targets:

Spoiler:
Show
Personal admin stuff
Go to supermarket and cook lunch + dinner
Do TSA 2010 Section 1
Write one essay question from TSA Section 2

Timetable:

1:30 - 3:00 Supermarket, cook, lunch, wash dishes
3:00-4:00 Admin stuff, emails
4:00-6:00 TSA 2010 Section 1 + TSA section 2
6:00-8:00 Cook, dinner, wash dishes, break
8:00-10:00 Check answers and learn them

Personal Life:

Spoiler:
Show
I started my day late (after lunch!) because I slept at 1-ish am yesterday, woke up late, spent hours on my bed watching videos. I could have spaced my things to do evenly throughout the day but my brain says no, so now my afternoon is just packed with things I have to do. :sigh:
I had to call UCAS this morning for some personal reasons. I was extremely nervous before the call, but the woman picking it up is so nice. It went better than I thought. (phew) It's embarassing to say I am proud of myself for calling someone I don't know

Tag list: :emog:

You should be proud ! At least you've made the phone call, which was surely important :yep:

You seem like a really responsible, well-organized girl. And don't worry, everyone has those days when they want to chill on their bed watching movies/videos for a longer time :console:
claudiaaa.474
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
WOW, glad to hear A-levels got better for you!! So proud
If you don't mind me asking, how do you revise biology, chemistry and maths? I'm currently doing those options along with further maths, and atm I've mostly been making lot's of flash cards (and have been trying to revise them), recording notes so I can listen to them when i'm out, and to make revision booklets. Haven't started doing papers, but that's my next objective. Is there anything that you recommend, as I would love 4 A*s (may not be possible but I like to aim high!)
je m'en fiche
Rep:
?
(Original post by Missradioactive)
You should be proud ! At least you've made the phone call, which was surely important :yep:

You seem like a really responsible, well-organized girl. And don't worry, everyone has those days when they want to chill on their bed watching movies/videos for a longer time :console:
:hugs:
I mean the definition of half term is not doing anything productive, just chilling in my room with my laptop and phone. Somehow it chaged in Year 13. :unsure:
je m'en fiche
Rep:
?
I find chemistry and biology quite similar, in terms of revision methods.

1. Stay on top of your classes. If I don't fully understand a topic I would usually read the CGP revision guide (life saver) and/or ask my teachers.
2. Use the specification (and your textbook) to write notes and revise them. The specification is very specific on the definitions and topics you have to know. Sometimes the boxes on the side of the pages in the textbook are required too!
3. Do topic questions for each chapter. I usually find them on physics and maths tutor. I usually mark them with the mark scheme so I know how the examiners want me to write the answers to get all the marks.

In general, I aim to do all of these within one week of finishing the chapter. Teachers usually give us test about 1 week after a week so it's good to revise for it anyway.

For maths, it's slightly more tricky (at least for me).
I don't really write notes for maths but instead I would do the end of chapter questions and topic questions. Though I have a sheet of "steps" on pressing the calculator, because when you go to more difficult modules (like statistics) you would need to be able to find the mean, standard deviation(SD) etc within a few clicks, so I wouldn't forget a year later.
I don't really know how to explain so here's an example: on my Casio fx-991EX Classwix calculator, to find the SD
1.Press menu --> 6: Statistics
2. Press 1: 1-Variable
3. Input data
4.Press OPTN then press #: 1-Variable Calc
5. Find sx

Hope this helps you
(Original post by claudiaaa.474)
WOW, glad to hear A-levels got better for you!! So proud
If you don't mind me asking, how do you revise biology, chemistry and maths? I'm currently doing those options along with further maths, and atm I've mostly been making lot's of flash cards (and have been trying to revise them), recording notes so I can listen to them when i'm out, and to make revision booklets. Haven't started doing papers, but that's my next objective. Is there anything that you recommend, as I would love 4 A*s (may not be possible but I like to aim high!)
I hope you don't mind me quoting the post I wrote a few days ago, but that is the exact same thing I would say. Personally, I don't write flash cards and recording notes because flash cards are expensive and I am not an audio person if that makes any sense. I think my voice is cringey when I hear it somewhere else, but that is of course up to you. Don't forget to read the specification as they tell you what you have to know, as well as doing past papers and memerising the answers. There are a few questions that keeps coming up, such as state the definition of orbitals in chemistry. The exam board do not have loads of new questions every year, same for the new spec.
je m'en fiche
Rep:
?
Thursday

It's quite late tonight, but I still have decided to give a brief update nontheless.

Quick Recap of My Day:

I have done TSA 2010 section 1 today, and is quite happy with the results I got (36/50) despite the fact that I have done this 2 weeks ago. For the past few mocks, I had more wrong answers on the critical thinking type questions and now it has slowly shifted to the problem solving ones. The problem for me is I don't even understand the question or what they are trying to ask us to do. They always give us a massive table with misleading information. Bear in mind they have weird tables. I had one on a biology student collecting exotic fish scales from fishers and to calculate the % of successful collection. :banghead:
I have also done a bit of chemistry revision on transition metals. So many colours to memorise it's a joke.

Quick explantion of TSA to peeps who don't do it
TSA is an apititude test for some Oxford subjects. It has two sections.
So basically in TSA section 1, there are two types of multiple choice questions.
Critical thinking is identifying flaw/assumption/conclusion etc after you have read a paragraph.
Problem solving includes a bit of maths and spatial reasonings, like what is the opposite of 1 in a die.

Tag list:

nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm sure you'll smash the TSA!!
je m'en fiche
Rep:
?
One week of half term left

Targets:

Spoiler:
Show
Notes on Chemistry transition metal
TSA section 2
Interview prep

Timetable:

12:30 - 1:00 Work on interview prep
1:00 - 2:00 Lunch
2:00 - 3:00 Interview prep
4:00 - 5:00 Break
5:00 - 6:00 TSA section 2
6:00 - 8:00 Dinner
8:00 - 10:00 Chemistry

Personal Life:

Spoiler:
Show
I'll be seeing my best friends the whole day tomorrow so I won't do anything productive. So excited to see them after 2 months.

Tag list:
username3989988
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Targets:

Spoiler:
Show
TSA section 2
Interview prep

Timetable:

Personal Life:

Spoiler:
Show
I'll be seeing my best friends the whole day tomorrow so I won't do anything productive. So excited to see them after 2 months.

Tag list:
PRSOM. Enjoy your break tommorow. :yep:
Missradioactive
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Targets:

Spoiler:
Show
TSA section 2
Interview prep

Timetable:

Personal Life:

Spoiler:
Show

Tag list:
PRSOM
claudiaaa.474
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I hope you don't mind me quoting the post I wrote a few days ago, but that is the exact same thing I would say. Personally, I don't write flash cards and recording notes because flash cards are expensivTe and I am not an audio person if that makes any sense. I think my voice is cringey when I hear it somewhere else, but that is of course up to you. Don't forget to read the specification as they tell you what you have to know, as well as doing past papers and memerising the answers. There are a few questions that keeps coming up, such as state the definition of orbitals in chemistry. The exam board do not have loads of new questions every year, same for the new spec.
Terribly sorry for not looking at other posts before, asking, my bad.
I see your reasons for using flash cards or voice, and whilst doing papers in school, I've written some questions on flash cards.
Thank you very much
je m'en fiche
Rep:
?
(Original post by MaizieAmyr)
PRSOM. Enjoy your break tommorow. :yep:
Thank you very much
(Original post by claudiaaa.474)
Terribly sorry for not looking at other posts before, asking, my bad.
I see your reasons for using flash cards or voice, and whilst doing papers in school, I've written some questions on flash cards.
Thank you very much
You don't have to apologise at all. If flash cards and recordings work for you then that is great.
Tate00
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You’re so lucky to have two weeks of half term, I only get one :sad:
je m'en fiche
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tate00)
You’re so lucky to have two weeks of half term, I only get one :sad:
Haha, but maybe you will get to leave for summer one week earlier?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (36)
18.27%
Unconditional if firmed (15)
7.61%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
1.02%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (5)
2.54%
No unconditional offers (139)
70.56%

Watched Threads