A GYG for smart people (A*A*A*): Kat's Painfully Long Journey to University Watch

je m'en fiche
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
TSR just deleted my post as I was writing :sigh: and I don't have much time left so I will keep it short.

Target:
TSA section 1
TSA section 2

I will try using the pomodoro technique today and see if it works, since I have only 2 targets today.
Instead of writing a longer post, I will just keep today updated. I might update this to make it prettier when I am bothered to do it.

Edit: So in the end I didn't follow the pomodoro technique strictly but I did work in sections and I have also installed an app which blocks all usage of apps. The app helped me much more that I was expecting. I caught myself a few times just picking up my phone during revision and usually I would just start scrolling for more than an hour. It really improved my productivity for that day.

Tag
je m'en fiche
Rep:
?
Feeling Low

I am feeling quite low because of my TSA. Even though I have been doing past papers after past papers, I am not getting enough correct answers to secure me an interview (which is what I am hoping for). I have tried youtube, books etc yet I didn't improve. Not to mention, It is hard to prepare for Oxford and at the same time keeping up with the things in class.
I want to be rejected post-interview so at least I know Oxford would have acknowledged some part of me in some way. It would be so embarrassing and disappointing to not get an interview after months of hard work. I am just devastated.

Thank you for wasting time to read my rant.
je m'en fiche
Rep:
?

Extra Hour of Sleep

Funny enough I thought I woke up extra early this morning when I looked at my phone for the time, not realising it had automatically changed the time.

Timetable:

10:30 - 12:30 TSA specimen paper
12:30 - 12:45 Mark answers
12:45 - 14:00 Lunch
14:00 - 15:00 Correct answers
15:00 - 15:30 Break
15:30 - 17:00 TSA section 2
17:00 - 17:15 Break
17:15 - 18:15 TSA section 1 Critical Thinking
18:15 onwards Dinner and Free time

Personal Life:

Yesterday night I was really upset with my progress on TSA and posted this.

(Original post by je m'en fiche)
Feeling Low

I am feeling quite low because of my TSA. Even though I have been doing past papers after past papers, I am not getting enough correct answers to secure me an interview (which is what I am hoping for). I have tried youtube, books etc yet I didn't improve. Not to mention, It is hard to prepare for Oxford and at the same time keeping up with the things in class.
I want to be rejected post-interview so at least I know Oxford would have acknowledged some part of me in some way. It would be so embarrassing and disappointing to not get an interview after months of hard work. I am just devastated.

Thank you for wasting time to read my rant.
Then I did a meditation before sleep and realised that it is alright not to get into Oxford. It is a slightly too ambitious dream anyways and if I didn't get in it probably means that Oxford is not suitable for me. I might be better off in other universities and make more friends there. The score of the TSA test should not define who I am and limit my potential to do well in other areas. All I can do is to give my best shot and see what happens next.
(Meditation saves lives.)

Tag list: (Anyone knows how to find the code form of the box so I can copy and paste instead of tagging each person everytime?)
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yay for an extra hour of sleep :woo:
It is alright to not get into Oxford :yes: (glad meditation has helped you - it's never really worked for me :sad:)
See how you mentioned me there? If you click 'edit' on that post, and go to the 'advanced' tag, you'll see this button that says 'A/A' or something like that. It's the 2nd one from the right. Anyways, that shows you the BBCode for that mention. It's something like [user=some number]some name[/user]. You can have any name ie. I could mention you as Kat, as long as that number is the same. As for that number, when you click on someone's profile (yours is HERE) you'll see that on the URL for your profile, there are 7 numbers at the end. Use that number.
Hope this helps!
je m'en fiche
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Yay for an extra hour of sleep :woo:
It is alright to not get into Oxford :yes: (glad meditation has helped you - it's never really worked for me :sad:)
See how you mentioned me there? If you click 'edit' on that post, and go to the 'advanced' tag, you'll see this button that says 'A/A' or something like that. It's the 2nd one from the right. Anyways, that shows you the BBCode for that mention. It's something like [user=some number]some name[/user]. You can have any name ie. I could mention you as Kat, as long as that number is the same. As for that number, when you click on someone's profile (yours is HERE) you'll see that on the URL for your profile, there are 7 numbers at the end. Use that number.
Hope this helps!
Sorry to hear meditation doesn't work for you. It is one of the things that keeps me sane-r.
Thanks so much for the tip, just found out the A/A button!
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry to hear meditation doesn't work for you. It is one of the things that keeps me sane-r.
Thanks so much for the tip, just found out the A/A button!
:giggle: It's good it works for you tho.. I stay sane through other means tho, so don't worry about me :thumbsup:
:woo: No problem!
AliceV_647
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck for tomorrow! Do you know what score that is needed for interview? I can't seem to find it anywhere...
username4320644
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What subject you doing
Burnt Toast
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This looks amazing, id love to be involved in the journey- can you tag me plz
Ememinem
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This question is very specific. I am not sure if I understand it, am I missing some context?
I think this job sounds cool and would like to know more about the benefits.
rm.25
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck for today!!!
je m'en fiche
Rep:
?
(Original post by AliceV_647)
Good luck for tomorrow! Do you know what score that is needed for interview? I can't seem to find it anywhere...
Thank you so much. Sorry for the late reply. Generally people say people who got 65+ will have an interview, lower than 55 is quite unlikely. However I have seen people getting 4x marks shortlisted, so I am not sure.
je m'en fiche
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ememinem)
I think this job sounds cool and would like to know more about the benefits.
I am not sure if I have the answers you wanted and you might want to ask someone else because I am not thinking to become a clinical psychologist. I think they help patients with mental issues eg depression, disorder etc. They would not prescribe any medications and they would only have sessions. For the benefits, I guess you will help patients in need of help? And that is a good thing? Also, clinical psychologists generally work in hospitals, health centers. They don't usually work on planes.
username3944482
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am not sure if I have the answers you wanted and you might want to ask someone else because I am not thinking to become a clinical psychologist. I think they help patients with mental issues eg depression, disorder etc. They would not prescribe any medications and they would only have sessions. For the benefits, I guess you will help patients in need of help? And that is a good thing? Also, clinical psychologists generally work in hospitals, health centers. They don't usually work on planes.
hey could you add me to your list please . also do you have any tips for year 12 biology and chemistry or any online resources . thanks
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How was the TSA? Hope it went well for you
Sciencenerd101
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Best of luck for the year ahead Congrats on your predicted grades!:cracker:
Would love to be added to tag list to hear updates :h:
je m'en fiche
Rep:
?

Failed the TSA :rip:

Happy Halloween everyone. :badger: I hope the test went well to people who did it. Thank you for the wishes. Unfortunately, the test didn't go as well as planned. I am not sure if I am getting an interview anymore. Hopefully, I would still get one. I won't be talking a lot about it because I just want to forget it completely. My focus now is on the A*s as well as my application and not on Oxford anymore.

Targets:

Transition metal test tomorrow
DNA test day after tomorrow
Admin stuff (change phone plan, send my bloody transcript to Bath)

Timetable:

14:45 - 15:00 Chemistry homework
15:00 - 17:00 Transition Metal Revision with Past paper questions
17:00 - 19:00 1 hour break + Dinner
19:00 - 20:00 More past paper questions
20:00 - 21:00 Biology DNA test
21:45 onward Prepare for tomorrow + Sleep

Personal Life:

I have been falling off the track because I spent so much time on TSA. We went through nitration of some circular chemical things during chemistry and I have no idea what the whole chapter is on.:sigh: :sigh: In biology, we are doing something on liver and I want to write notes on that.
For this weekend I hope to plan this year, find an organisation system for my notes and catch up with all of my 3 subjects
Please forgive me if I don't reply any comments on TSA until I fully let it go.

Tag:
Last edited by je m'en fiche; 1 year ago
je m'en fiche
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilysandres)
hey could you add me to your list please . also do you have any tips for year 12 biology and chemistry or any online resources . thanks

I find chemistry and biology quite similar, in terms of revision methods.

1. Stay on top of your classes. If I don't fully understand a topic I would usually read the CGP revision guide (life saver) and/or ask my teachers.
2. Use the specification (and your textbook) to write notes and revise them. The specification is very specific on the definitions and topics you have to know. Sometimes the boxes on the side of the pages in the textbook are required too!
3. Do topic questions for each chapter. I usually find them on physics and maths tutor. I usually mark them with the mark scheme so I know how the examiners want me to write the answers to get all the marks.

In general, I aim to do all of these within one week of finishing the chapter. Teachers usually give us test about 1 week after a week so it's good to revise for it anyway.

For maths, it's slightly more tricky (at least for me).
I don't really write notes for maths but instead I would do the end of chapter questions and topic questions. Though I have a sheet of "steps" on pressing the calculator, because when you go to more difficult modules (like statistics) you would need to be able to find the mean, standard deviation(SD) etc within a few clicks, so I wouldn't forget a year later.
I don't really know how to explain so here's an example: on my Casio fx-991EX Classwix calculator, to find the SD
1.Press menu --> 6: Statistics
2. Press 1: 1-Variable
3. Input data
4.Press OPTN then press #: 1-Variable Calc
5. Find sx

Hope this helps you
I have written a post on this before, ask me if you have any other questions.
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Awwww... I'm sorry the TSR went badly :console:
je m'en fiche
Rep:
?

Offer from Durham
:party:

Almost there. It's Friday tomorrow. So looking forward to start fresh next week.

Target:

Update November monthly goal
Print off chemistry transition metal past paper questions

Timetable:

5:30 - 6:00 Prepare Biology revision materials
6:00 - 8:30 Dinner + Lecture
8:30 - 8:45 Print past paper questions
8:45 - 9:45 Do past paper questions
9:45 onward Prepare for tomorrow + Sleep

Personal Life:

I got the offer yesterday at 6pm and it made my second half of the day so much better.
For today, I was told that the chemistry test is next week because the chemistry teacher thought we would need more time to memorise the horrendous amount of equations and colour change and the biology test is next Monday instead of tomorrow. My other chemistry teacher is sick today so we skipped his lesson. Today has to be one the best days ever.

Tag:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (91)
18.92%
Labour (204)
42.41%
Liberal Democrats (97)
20.17%
Green Party (33)
6.86%
Brexit Party (15)
3.12%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.25%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.04%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)