india2203
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So this year I'm reapplying for Law, I already have my A Level grades A*A*A in History, English and Maths with an A in my EPQ. The thing is I'm so torn between Bristol and Leeds. Bristol seems to have a better reputation overall in terms of connections to the Magic and Silver circle law firms, which I know is important (apparently they got the most amount of students into magic/silver circle after oxbridge). However on a lot of league tables now it seems Leeds is very high up for law, more so than Bristol. I also worry about the low student satisfaction at Bristol, and that they don't pay enough attention to their students. Leeds seems to be known for being better than this traditionally. But at the end of the day, I want to have the best career in Law I can possibly have, but don't want to have a miserable time doing the course. Can anyone help me (anyone who's doing either course already?)
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what others unis have u reapplied to?
india2203
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymous1231231)
what others unis have u reapplied to?
manchester and glasgow (doubt i'll go to either but anyways)... i was considering adding a london uni as well because so many of the good law schools are in london but honestly don't like the idea of uni in london
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by india2203)
manchester and glasgow (doubt i'll go to either but anyways)... i was considering adding a london uni as well because so many of the good law schools are in london but honestly don't like the idea of uni in london
Why stress over Leeds or Bristol, if you're haphazardly choosing Manc and Glazzy.
india2203
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
Why stress over Leeds or Bristol, if you're haphazardly choosing Manc and Glazzy.
I'm not haphazardly choosing them, I'm putting them down because I like both cities/courses and I want to keep my options open. But my favourites are really Leeds and Bristol
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You got A*A*A and you're not at least taking at shot at Oxbridge or Durham? Weak

I'd go to Bristol simply because it's a nicer place with middle class people who apply for London grad jobs in droves. Leeds is bigger and far more internally diverse in every way (grades, grad destinations, student backgrounds).
india2203
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
You got A*A*A and you're not at least taking at shot at Oxbridge or Durham? Weak

I'd go to Bristol simply because it's a nicer place with middle class people who apply for London grad jobs in droves. Leeds is bigger and far more internally diverse in every way (grades, grad destinations, student backgrounds).
I did oxbridge last year for history and got to interview but didn’t get in, my heart reallt wasn’t in it. I decided to do law so last minute (like this summer, spent it all doing work experience and reading) that if I decided to do oxbridge now there’s no way I’d be able to do the work needed in time to get in, especially because I’m using my gap year to have intensive surgery so wouldn’t be physically well enough to get to the interview before you judge lol. In terms of durham honestly can’t think of anything I’d hate more, I went to see it and hated it, the whole type of people who go there, reminds me of everything I hated about going to do a countryside boarding school so...

Thanks for the other advice though
india2203
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
You might want to avoid Bristol too then if that’s your view of Durham
It's not so much the people, more the whole collegiate system, the fact it's pretty isolated there, that kind of thing
theteknikal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if you're looking for a career in law after graduation then Bristol is definitely the better choice however Leeds is also a very respectable law school and is on the rise in terms of rep though Bristol definitely has a better rep

however that is not the only thing you must take into account when choosing a uni - the main question is would u be happy spending 3 years of your life there?

if you choose leeds then you'll still be fine for grad prospects; its only marginally lower than Bristol and city firms generally just want a solid RG uni grad with at least a 2.i

some firms are even starting cv-blind interviews so they dont see your uni
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by theteknikal)
some firms are even starting cv-blind interviews so they dont see your uni
This is wrong - they do see the university when you apply. The only exception is that the person who interviews you doesn't know about it unless you bring it up (which you probably will, accidentally or not). I think that the most idiotic policy was that done by firms like CC and Macfarlanes last year, where they ran CV-blind interviews, and yet provided the interviewer with a copy of your application - a copy which would likely include references to your university (e.g. 'I was the captain of University X's football team')
theteknikal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is wrong - they do see the university when you apply. The only exception is that the person who interviews you doesn't know about it unless you bring it up (which you probably will, accidentally or not). I think that the most idiotic policy was that done by firms like CC and Macfarlanes last year, where they ran CV-blind interviews, and yet provided the interviewer with a copy of your application - a copy which would likely include references to your university (e.g. 'I was the captain of University X's football team'
oh ok sorry,

regardless, Leeds is well represented in magic circle - i think one of the prior managing partners from london office of clifford chance did his llb at leeds
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is wrong - they do see the university when you apply. The only exception is that the person who interviews you doesn't know about it unless you bring it up (which you probably will, accidentally or not). I think that the most idiotic policy was that done by firms like CC and Macfarlanes last year, where they ran CV-blind interviews, and yet provided the interviewer with a copy of your application - a copy which would likely include references to your university (e.g. 'I was the captain of University X's football team')
I do however believe there is one firm that asks you not to list the uni name even at the application stage. I'll try to find which one it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by _Fergo)
I do however believe there is one firm that asks you not to list the uni name even at the application stage. I'll try to find which one it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol that's incredible - please do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads