The Student Room Group

Should i do an A level with my level 3 extended diploma in Health and Social Care

Basically I got good grades in my gcses 1A 1A* 5Bs and 3Cs ( including maths I got a 4) I could of went sixth form but I went to college cause the subjects I was gonna study psychology and history and RE wasn’t gonna help me with the career path I wanted and I dont really like RE. Also my tuition person said that these subjects are really gonna get u anywhere and non of them are facilitating subjects, which is why I took a btec health n social care I wanna go to uni and I’m scared I won’t get in because I don’t have an A level 😩 should go back to sixth form and do A levels (even though its mid October) or stay on my Health and Social Care and just do one A levels online? SOMEONE PLEASE HELLPPP
Original post by Mary6767
Basically I got good grades in my gcses 1A 1A* 5Bs and 3Cs ( including maths I got a 4) I could of went sixth form but I went to college cause the subjects I was gonna study psychology and history and RE wasn’t gonna help me with the career path I wanted and I dont really like RE. Also my tuition person said that these subjects are really gonna get u anywhere and non of them are facilitating subjects, which is why I took a btec health n social care I wanna go to uni and I’m scared I won’t get in because I don’t have an A level 😩 should go back to sixth form and do A levels (even though its mid October) or stay on my Health and Social Care and just do one A levels online? SOMEONE PLEASE HELLPPP

Hi @Mary6767,

The BTEC Extended Diploma is equivalent to A Levels, but it would depend on the entry requirements of the course you want to study at the university you want to study at.

Is there a particular course / university you're looking at? Have you looked at the entry requirements for this?

Laura
Bucks New University
Reply 2
Original post by Bucks New University
Hi @Mary6767,

The BTEC Extended Diploma is equivalent to A Levels, but it would depend on the entry requirements of the course you want to study at the university you want to study at.

Is there a particular course / university you're looking at? Have you looked at the entry requirements for this?

Laura
Bucks New University

Yes I have! Many of them says that I don’t need an A level but apparently people who goes from BTECs to uni struggle at uni, so I was thinking A levels will help me gain the knowledge a techniques. I wanted to do either child nursing or criminology
Reply 3
Yes I have! Many of them says that I don’t need an A level but apparently people who goes from BTECs to uni struggle at uni, so I was thinking A levels will help me gain the knowledge a techniques. I wanted to do either child nursing or criminology

I did a BTEC and I'm doing my degree. It's fine. If you work hard, you'll cope on the degree.
Reply 4
Original post by katf
I did a BTEC and I'm doing my degree. It's fine. If you work hard, you'll cope on the degree.

Omg thank you, I was so worried that I would fail with a btec! How is university of i May ask? Idk if it’s worth it or not?
Reply 5
Omg thank you, I was so worried that I would fail with a btec! How is university of i May ask? Idk if it’s worth it or not?

Lot of work. I'm doing a foundation degree and working as well, so it's a bit different to your typical 3 year degree.
Reply 6
Original post by katf
Lot of work. I'm doing a foundation degree and working as well, so it's a bit different to your typical 3 year degree.

I’ve never heard of a foundation degree, is it like a degree but in a shorter time?
Reply 7
I’ve never heard of a foundation degree, is it like a degree but in a shorter time?

First two years of a degree, then a top up. Designed for people who are already working or have non standard qualifications.
Reply 8
Original post by katf
First two years of a degree, then a top up. Designed for people who are already working or have non standard qualifications.

Ahhh, thanks for all the help! And good luck with doing your course at uni too! x

Hi @Mary6767

I know someone has suggested a foundation degree to you, but another option could be a foundation year (an additional year of study before progressing onto a 3 year degree). These foundation years are to help you develop your academic study skills and build confidence in your abilities, before progressing in to a degree. At Bucks we have a BSc (Hons) Criminology with foundation year which you may be interested in. I'd recommend going to university open days if you can, that way you can speak to course leaders and the admissions team and they can advise you the best route to go down! It sounds like you have strong qualifications that will set you up well for a degree, so you may well be able to go straight onto a 3 year course rather than taking a foundation first. It would all depend on the individual university requirements though.

Do let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck with whatever route you choose to go down!

Laura

Quick Reply