World Mental Health Day: What is mindfulness? Watch

Spirithorse
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Mindfulness is one of those words which you hear more and more of, with dozens of apps promising to help you harness the power of your mind.

But what is it, who does it help and how can you practise it?

How to be more mindful:

• Notice the everyday - engage your senses, for example to think about the food you eat and the feeling of the air moving past as you walk.
  • Choose a regular time for your practice, for example during your morning commute or on a lunchtime walk.
  • Try seeing things from a different perspective. This can be as simple as choosing a different seat at school, college or in a work meeting, or going somewhere new for lunch.
  • Watch your thoughts - see them as "mental events" and let them come and go in your mind, like buses.
  • Name your thoughts and feelings to get more awareness, for example recognising "this is anxiety".
  • As well as practising in day-to-day life, you can set aside time for mindfulness meditation, yoga or tai-chi.

Just some suggestions from the BBC. Read more about it here
Have you got any other mindfulness techniques that you use? Share your experiences here.
Infinite Series
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Thanks for sharing this
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I find mindfulness breathing exercises quite difficult to do. I prefer/respond better to mindful colouring :yep: I also use an app called Stop, Breathe and Think. It's got some useful guided meditations on it, that don't focus too heavily on breathing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (183)
23.83%
Pop (187)
24.35%
Jazz (30)
3.91%
Classical (46)
5.99%
Hip-Hop (145)
18.88%
Electronic (50)
6.51%
Indie (127)
16.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise