World Mental Health Day: What is mindfulness? Watch
But what is it, who does it help and how can you practise it?
How to be more mindful:
- Notice the everyday - engage your senses, for example to think about the food you eat and the feeling of the air moving past as you walk.
- Choose a regular time for your practice, for example during your morning commute or on a lunchtime walk.
- Try seeing things from a different perspective. This can be as simple as choosing a different seat at school, college or in a work meeting, or going somewhere new for lunch.
- Watch your thoughts - see them as "mental events" and let them come and go in your mind, like buses.
- Name your thoughts and feelings to get more awareness, for example recognising "this is anxiety".
- As well as practising in day-to-day life, you can set aside time for mindfulness meditation, yoga or tai-chi.
Just some suggestions from the BBC. Read more about it here
Have you got any other mindfulness techniques that you use? Share your experiences here.