Stress, tears and laughter - My Journey to A-level success Watch

Lydia.Mx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm Lydia

I know that I'm rather late to the party but I thought I'd start this to document my two year A-level Journey because right now I'm just trying to make sense of it all!

So here is a little about me...

GCSE's...
Spoiler:
Show

I took Triple Science, Spanish, Geography, Child development along with the core subjects & RS.
I really enjoyed all of these subjects but especially Geography as I found all of the topics so interesting. Year 11 was stressful & a lot of hard work but I'm happy with what I got in the end, despite a tiny bit of disappointment on results day, but thats okay!

My A-level subjects...
Spoiler:
Show

Biology
Chemistry
Geography
Maths (As level equivalent)

Future aspirations...
Spoiler:
Show

So to be honest, I have no idea & that is kind of scary! I know that I want to go to university and at the moment I am looking towards doing some sort of Geography degree as this is really my passion but this could all change, I'm not really trying to think about it too much at this point in year 12 & am just trying to get settled into sixth form life & my studies before anything else.

Interests/Hobbies...
Spoiler:
Show

- Musicals & theatre - I have loved acting ever since I was little, I used to go to plays and think I want to do that some day, especially when going to big west-end shows. I love the buzz you get from performing and I used to go to a theatre group every week but gave that up after Christmas of year 11 as it started to get too stressful. Now, I don't do anything to do with acting however I am obsessed with so many musicals - I just love them so much!
- I've just started an online course on the causes of Climate Change - whether I'll be able to keep this up is something that I'm unsure of as I already am behind on work but we will see.
- Volunteering - after half-term I am starting to volunteer in lower school geography lessons which I am super excited for!
- I also love a good TV show - my faves at the moment have got to be - The Great British Bake Off, This Country (this is so funny!), Unforgotten, Broadchurch (It's no longer on TV but I am obsessed with it), The Bodyguard and Bulletproof.

So how am I finding it all so far?
It has been so overwhelming but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Lessons have been tough but I am enjoying them all & starting to get used to everything. I am kind of behind on work (especially in Geography) but its okay because I'm hoping in the half-term that I'll be able to catch-up.
But in non-academic news, I've made new friends (who are lovely)!

Anyway, this was just a little post to introduce myself & the journey that I'm going to be facing over the next 2 years. I will be trying to update every week at least but we will just have to see how it goes!
Thanks for reading this and coming onto this little section of my GYG's page, feel free to ask any questions! - Lydia
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Best of luck with Year 12!! :rave:
gw07mcgheerachel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good Luck!
Lydia.Mx
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Best of luck with Year 12!! :rave:
Thank you so much!!
Lydia.Mx
Rep:
?
(Original post by gw07mcgheerachel)
Good Luck!
Thank you!!
Lydia.Mx
Rep:
?
Firstly, happy belated halloween!
So where have I been?...

I know its been 3 weeks since I have updated on here but I have been so busy with deadlines. All my tests in biology and chemistry have seemed to have come all at once so I've been doing a lot of revision.I am so tired. A postive though is that I haven't been doing too badly in my tests so I guess the revision is kind of paying off. I have also been spending a lot of time writing up my fieldwork trip which has seemed to have taken up a lot of my time. It has been half-term though so I somehow managed to catch up just a little bit with my work. Although, second week back and I am already behind - whoops!!

Lately, I've been feeling quite stressed, on-edge and overwhelmed by the work that I have got to do which is part of the reason why I haven't posted much on here to be honest. I think its just the fact that I have had so many tests and things to think about that I haven't really taken any time for myself but oh well

This week...
Monday - So I had a biology test today, it was pretty hard but I managed to do alright which I was pretty pleased with as I didn't think that I would do well at all as at the weekend, nothing seemed to be sticking so I am glad something worked!
Tuesday - I bascially have all study periods tomorrow as my teacher isn't in first lesson so we've just been given some catch up work to do. Although I am helping out with younger years geography lessons which I started doing last week which was quite fun. It is so interesting to see how much I can remember about what they are learning now but also how they all perceive the topic.
Wednesday - I get my chemistry tests back!! I just hope I've not done too badly - I shall keep you updated!
Thursday - To be honest, not much is happening on Thursday. I have maths in the morning and biology in the afternoon where we are carrying on learning about enzymes.
Friday - Friday is going to be super busy! I have so much work due in for Friday, along with a Chemistry test & maths test so I'm not really looking forward to trying to make sure I get all my work done for the deadlines as well as revising for the tests.

Anyway, this is just a quick little update!!
Have a great week
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lydia.Mx)
Hi, I'm Lydia

I know that I'm rather late to the party but I thought I'd start this to document my two year A-level Journey because right now I'm just trying to make sense of it all!

So here is a little about me...

GCSE's...
Spoiler:
Show

I took Triple Science, Spanish, Geography, Child development along with the core subjects & RS.
I really enjoyed all of these subjects but especially Geography as I found all of the topics so interesting. Year 11 was stressful & a lot of hard work but I'm happy with what I got in the end, despite a tiny bit of disappointment on results day, but thats okay!

My A-level subjects...
Spoiler:
Show

Biology
Chemistry
Geography
Maths (As level equivalent)

Future aspirations...
Spoiler:
Show

So to be honest, I have no idea & that is kind of scary! I know that I want to go to university and at the moment I am looking towards doing some sort of Geography degree as this is really my passion but this could all change, I'm not really trying to think about it too much at this point in year 12 & am just trying to get settled into sixth form life & my studies before anything else.

Interests/Hobbies...
Spoiler:
Show

- Musicals & theatre - I have loved acting ever since I was little, I used to go to plays and think I want to do that some day, especially when going to big west-end shows. I love the buzz you get from performing and I used to go to a theatre group every week but gave that up after Christmas of year 11 as it started to get too stressful. Now, I don't do anything to do with acting however I am obsessed with so many musicals - I just love them so much!
- I've just started an online course on the causes of Climate Change - whether I'll be able to keep this up is something that I'm unsure of as I already am behind on work but we will see.
- Volunteering - after half-term I am starting to volunteer in lower school geography lessons which I am super excited for!
- I also love a good TV show - my faves at the moment have got to be - The Great British Bake Off, This Country (this is so funny!), Unforgotten, Broadchurch (It's no longer on TV but I am obsessed with it), The Bodyguard and Bulletproof.

So how am I finding it all so far?
It has been so overwhelming but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Lessons have been tough but I am enjoying them all & starting to get used to everything. I am kind of behind on work (especially in Geography) but its okay because I'm hoping in the half-term that I'll be able to catch-up.
But in non-academic news, I've made new friends (who are lovely)!

Anyway, this was just a little post to introduce myself & the journey that I'm going to be facing over the next 2 years. I will be trying to update every week at least but we will just have to see how it goes!
Thanks for reading this and coming onto this little section of my GYG's page, feel free to ask any questions! - Lydia
Good luck on your journey to success!
Lydia.Mx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner)
Good luck on your journey to success!
Thank you!! I really appreciate it
Lydia.Mx
Rep:
?
Hi whoever is reading this,

I thought I would give you an update on my week now its finally the weekend!
My week has been pretty uneventful to be honest but crazily busy at the same time.
So on Tuesday, I did all my work set by my teacher & then did some chemistry revision for my test that I had on Friday before going over to do my volunteering at main school which again was quite fun although I went to a different class this time as the teacher I usually do it with wasn't in school.
On Wednesday, I had biology & was told that we were going to have an enzyme end of unit test which is crazy as we only started it last week so I'm not fully prepared for it yet - this is something I'll be doing all week/weekend to try and make sure I have done past paper questions & made flashcards ready for the test. I then had Chemistry where I got my test back - I was really happy with my result as this topic was new & so I'm pleased that I know kinda know what is going on. I then had geography & to be honest we didn't really do too much so it was quite a relaxed lesson.
Thursday was extremely uneventful. I did some revision for chemistry in my study period & learned about Fermi Estimations in maths. I did do a lot of revision when I got home from school so I was super tired by the end of the day!
Friday. Lets just say yesterday was not my day. From the moment I got up, just nothing was going right. I had the chemistry test in the morning which was pretty hard, infact I didn't even finish it in the time given to us, it was horrible because I was panicking about trying to finish it that I was not concentrating on what the questions were asking me so I'm pretty sure I made some pretty stupid mistakes. Luckily though, my teacher is kind & so we are getting some time at the start of next lesson to finish it as no-one was able to. However, the fact that it was pretty tricky (I'd say mostly due to the way the questions were worded)& that I had a headache put me in a pretty rough mood for the rest of the day & I haven't stopped worrying about it since. Maths was pretty difficult which didn't help either so when I get home I decided to have a little cry & watch some Riverdale whilst eating chocolate cake to try and forget about it all.

So what is this weekends plan?
-REVISE FOR BIOLOGY
-Finish my biology notes as I have a folder check on Wednesday
-Do my geography, chemistry and maths homework
-Do a bit of revision for chemistry (not a lot though)
-Finish off any notes from this week that I can
-Do some more wider reading

I probably won't get all of this done but I'm trying not to let it stress me out
Anyways, have a great weekend everyone
Last edited by Lydia.Mx; 1 year ago
Lydia.Mx
Rep:
?
12/11/18 - Quick little update!!

Hi you brilliant people,
so today has been a pretty good day despite feeling quite anxious. I had academic tutor, biology & then chemistry.
Academic tutor was alright, quite fun as we were doing about teamwork so we did a few activities that required moving about which really woke me up, even though we had to work in a big group & I get extremely nervous when surrounded with a large number of people, especially if I don't know them that well but at least I got out of my comfort zone.
I then had biology which was surprisingly again quite fun - we had to make hats out of paper & then walk around the school pretending to be xylem/phloem - we looked ridiculous & we're all pretty embarrassed but it got us all laughing. We then used the microscopes to look at leaves & then had to draw them so the lesson was pretty relaxed, even though we spent most of the time trying to find the sample of the leaf under the microscope.
Lastly, I had chemistry which I was dreading as we had to finish off the tests that we started on Friday, I only had the multiple choice questions to do which weren't as bad as I remembered them being (still not great) so hopefully it will mean that I won't have to resit but who knows, I'll have to keep you updated.
Tonight, I am finishing off my biology notes as I didn't get them done yesterday & then I am going to watch something for geography, whilst making notes.
Have a great week everyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (17)
30.91%
No (28)
50.91%
Don't know (10)
18.18%

Watched Threads