nicolesm1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
For AS LONG as i can remember I've wanted to be a medical consultant... but... I've been reading loads of threads on TSR that are saying doctors get low salaries and it isn't worth it
I don't know what to do? and do doctors really get rubbish salaries?
p.s. i don't know what else i would do other than medicine BUT i want a financially ABOVE stable lifestyle as well.
what do you think?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nicolesm1)
For AS LONG as i can remember I've wanted to be a medical consultant... but... I've been reading loads of threads on TSR that are saying doctors get low salaries and it isn't worth it
p.s. i don't know what else i would do other than medicine BUT i want a financially ABOVE stable lifestyle as well.
what do you think?
Really don't know why you posted in this forum (which is to Ask Student Finance England about financing during uni).

Anyway the wages are not bad (compared to the general population and the average wage), but it is lower compared to other countries e.g. USA and some countries of the Middle East.

The wages of NHS doctors (virtually all doctors in training, and many / most consultants) are available online: look at page 5 (for trainee doctors) and page 9 (for consultants) of this document:
http://www.nhsemployers.org/~/media/...MD%2012017.pdf
nicolesm1
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Really don't know why you posted in this forum (which is to Ask Student Finance England about financing during uni).

Anyway the wages are not bad (compared to the general population and the average wage), but it is lower compared to other countries e.g. USA and some countries of the Middle East.

The wages of NHS doctors (virtually all doctors in training, and many / most consultants) are available online: look at page 5 (for trainee doctors) and page 9 (for consultants) of this document:
http://www.nhsemployers.org/~/media/...MD%2012017.pdf
oh sorry i didnt know
ErinaNakiri78
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what do you think?
Doctors do get paid high but one peice of advice, never work in the UK as a doctor because is is NEVER worth it. They pay you good but not good compared to the amount of work you will to do. And they also take a lot of taxes from you its rediculous especially when you work for the nhs
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So basically you want to do medicine because you want a high salary (that’s the only reason you’ve given). Are you really willing to dedicate at least 5-8 years of your life on getting your degree? If you’re just in it for the money, then that’s not a good idea. If you ended up dropping out due to being unmotivated, then you’ll loose all the time and money spent up to that point.
ErinaNakiri78
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh dear Looks like I am in the wrong job!

:yep:
Are you a doctor working for the NHS? because my dad is a consultant physician in the NHS and he works so so much and is almost always on call!
ErinaNakiri78
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:yes: a fellow (well your dad) physician! I do neurology though, which is one of the less busy specialties.
Oh cool that sounds so interesting! but honestly, i think the nhs put too much pressure on doctors
nicolesm1
Rep:
?
That's OK, I have moved it now. Anyway the answer to your question, especially "BUT i want a financially ABOVE stable lifestyle as well." is that you are most likely to be able to afford this.

But you need to state how much above stable, if it is a yacht / mansion then no it wouldn't be that.
i definitly know i cant have that and i do not mind. I mean having a nice car, being able to afford a house and having a nice holiday each year.
nicolesm1
Rep:
?
(Original post by RedGiant)
So basically you want to do medicine because you want a high salary (that’s the only reason you’ve given). Are you really willing to dedicate at least 5-8 years of your life on getting your degree? If you’re just in it for the money, then that’s not a good idea. If you ended up dropping out due to being unmotivated, then you’ll loose all the time and money spent up to that point.
OF COURSE I AM! I know all the ins and outs of the years of hard work it takes to become what i want to be, but I DO NOT MIND. i genuinlly enjoy communicating with people and that feeling of knowing i've made a little difference to someones life and of cousre i love science itself, BUT i'm gonna be realistic, i want to be able to have a nice lifestyle and to make sure my kids and family can have a lovely lifestyle as well. If this is to much to ask for then i dont know whats wrong with me or the world
ErinaNakiri78
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The NHS completely and utterly relies on the goodwill of all the doctors and other healthcare professionals working above and beyond their job descriptions. It's become a victim of its own success and there is so much demand on it.

Medicine (physician specialties) is probably one of the hardest hit - traditionally the medical registrar is seen as the one who knows all, and everyone calls the med reg if there's a problem!
Yeah I do agree with this
nicolesm1
Rep:
?
That should be fine then, I have a mediocre car, own house and do have a nice holiday (at least) once a year. I am not even a consultant yet
Ok lol thats literally all i wish for from this job.. nothing more!
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what do you think?
The salary is fine (objectively speaking, it's well above average, particularly as a consultant/GP principal). You won't be a millionaire or even close, but you'll still be better off than many people.

That said, you shouldn't do it for the salary, because whilst the pay is good, they will make you work for every penny of it. There are also quite a few hidden expenses i.e. GMC fee, union fee, exam fees, Royal College fees, indemnity, parking, attending courses etc which you have to pay yourself each year, so it's very much not easy money at all.

Basically, there are less stressful ways of earning a salary which can get you a nice car, your own home and a holiday once a year (I'm know you're probably aware of this based on what you've written above, but I'm just saying).

But to answer the question, yeah, I think medicine is worth it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
73.68%
No I haven't decided yet (11)
14.47%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.84%

Watched Threads