Keele medicine 2019 entry Watch

sk2907
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Siaa)
sk2907, 1200 hrs is really good, well done!
Keeping in mind some amazing candidates like yourself I wrote "most" of the undergraduate will be at a disadvantage and not "all".
Thank you! But again,don't feel like you are at a disadvantage-its all about the reflection and what you've actually learnt from what you have done.
Siaa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sk2907)
Thank you! But again,don't feel like you are at a disadvantage-its all about the reflection and what you've actually learnt from what
I can agree with you as far as reflection part is concerned but will still stress that undergraduates/non gap yrs will struggle if "numbers of hours" will be a game changer.
cb15454
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Siaa)
I understand graduate entry candidates and gap year students have a lot of experience/hours to write about in their R and R form because of the extra time they gained after or even before A level.
Whereas when I compare this to myself as an undergraduate/ A level student then I see that I have just right experience for PS but dont hold any incredible amount of work hours gained in the last 3 yrs because of limited time as a GCSE /A level student.
In such a scenario am I correct if I think that majority of undergraduate and non gap year students are at a disadvantage when the quantity (and somewhat quality too) of Rand R form is considered?
A gap year student may have more time however a graduate not necessarily, yes more summers to gain experience but degrees are far more time consuming that A-levels or GCSE’s so in that respect no. The R&R form is about reflecting on what you’ve done, I don’t think they care about hours as a number it’s more what you learnt
jollycobbler123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Siaa)
I can agree with you as far as reflection part is concerned but will still stress that undergraduates/non gap yrs will struggle if "numbers of hours" will be a game changer.
Hello, I called up the admissions team regarding hours and the lady stressed that it is the reflections that make or break an application, not necessarily the total number of hours. Someone could have a lot of hours yet may not reflect well rendering their application and hours useless (in regards to Keele and their system). Similarly as someone else stated, degrees take a lot of dedication and time.. more than A-Levels or GCSEs; I wish someone had told me that aha! Some grads may have found that extra time to do volunteering and props to them as it only shows utmost dedication through the extra 3/4 years of their degree and lives(!). I definitely wouldn't say you are at a 'disadvantage', the form clearly states they expect different levels responsibilities/reflections from mature and grad students.
SyedHB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

I applied to Keele on the 4th of October.
I have just sent my RnR form of a couple hours ago.

Stats:
GCSE: 3A*s 6As 1B
UKCAT: 640 Band 1
Year 1 internal exams: A*A*B
A level predictions: A*A*A

Good luck guys!!
SyedHB
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ellenfran23)
Yup! Of course not- I studied pharmacology at KCL! Where did you study?

I’ve applied to KCL, Manchester, Keele and Queen’s Belfast! You?
3 of the same options!! Instead of Queen's I applied to Liverpool
ellenfran23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SyedHB)
3 of the same options!! Instead of Queen's I applied to Liverpool

Love love love Liverpool! Such a good choice! I would’ve applied there but I didn’t do GAMSAT 😕 (I’m a grad)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SyedHB
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Love love love Liverpool! Such a good choice! I would’ve applied there but I didn’t do GAMSAT 😕 (I’m a grad)
aw damn. btw have you sent off your NAI form for Manchester?
ellenfran23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
aw damn. btw have you sent off your NAI form for Manchester?
Nope not yet, we have until the 9th right? Have you?

I haven’t finished the keele form yet, I’m really stuck 🙃
SyedHB
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope not yet, we have until the 9th right? Have you?

I haven’t finished the keele form yet, I’m really stuck 🙃
I've submitted them both 😕 have a feeling that they are both lacking. I hate having the pressure over my head so I decided to fill the forms in and submit them as soon as possible, still took me a couple days to do each.

I just tried to reflect on my experiences as much as possible. Hope you figure the form out soon 🙂 - best of luck.
ellenfran23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've submitted them both 😕 have a feeling that they are both lacking. I hate having the pressure over my head so I decided to fill the forms in and submit them as soon as possible, still took me a couple days to do each.

I just tried to reflect on my experiences as much as possible. Hope you figure the form out soon 🙂 - best of luck.
Fair enough, I’m a slow burner with stuff like this and usually take a solid week. You can only do your best and I’m sure you did that!

Thanks! Best of luck to you too!
binkyboos
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah i don't know if i should mention my waitressing job either i was only there for like 3 months lol but it would make up 160 hours total with my volunteering
cb15454
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by binkyboos)
yeah i don't know if i should mention my waitressing job either i was only there for like 3 months lol but it would make up 160 hours total with my volunteering
I think it is worth mentioning if it has provided you with the necessary skills, I’ve included my job at Costa although I haven’t written about it in the boxes
justinamarina
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am applying in my third year of undergrad and I only have 77 hours of experience. I would have wayyyyyyyy more but the Keele form was very specific about not mentioning things such as volunteering abroad, shadowing and etc....would this put my application at a disadvantage?
A*my
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It says at the start of the form 'on the following pages you will be asked to write about 1 or more of the experiences you have listed above. please note that it will be difficult to provide the level of detail needed if you choose to write about 4 separate expriences, so you may wish to select the 1 or 2 that had the greatest impact on you deciding medicine".

then there are 4 different boxes, each with different subheadings.

1) For each box, should I only use 1/2 examples?
2) For the whole form, should I only use 1/2 examples?

Confused about what it wants me to do.
Can someone explain the form a little bit better and what is best to do?
A*my
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It says at the start of the form 'on the following pages you will be asked to write about 1 or more of the experiences you have listed above. please note that it will be difficult to provide the level of detail needed if you choose to write about 4 separate expriences, so you may wish to select the 1 or 2 that had the greatest impact on you deciding medicine".

then there are 4 different boxes, each with different subheadings.

1) For each box, should I only use 1/2 examples?
2) For the whole form, should I only use 1/2 examples?

Confused about what it wants me to do.
Can someone explain the form a little bit better and what is best to do?
binkyboos
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what made you pick keele? just out of interest

Yup! Of course not- I studied pharmacology at KCL! Where did you study?

I’ve applied to KCL, Manchester, Keele and Queen’s Belfast! You?
TSA
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just submitted..
Keele Student Ambassador
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TSA)
Just submitted..
:yay: Brilliant, keep us updated with how it goes.
TSA
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Keele Student Ambassador)
:yay: Brilliant, keep us updated with how it goes.
Just to let you know I'm gonna take my +1 back if I don't get an interview.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?

Yes (179)
18.8%
No (573)
60.19%
Not really bothered about them (200)
21.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise