How to find a girlfriend Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello Everyone,

Apologises if this seems like a question that been asked a number of times. However, I come from a conservative background and I have never had a girlfriend. In the past I have never thought much of it, but recently I have been considering it. I am interested to do it for the experience (e.g. how a relationship functions and how to maintain one). That is something that comes with experience. Last thing I want is to marry someone and not have any experience whatsoever.

I am currently at university in Kent (not sure if this means anything, but oh well). I am not really sure where to begin. I am not the sort of person who likes going out at night, as I prefer getting on with my work. I do not drink alcohol (but I am not Muslim). I see myself as quiet, laid back and polite (at least that is how my friends describe me). I would say that I am of average look.

I have tried online dating on a number of sites and apps. All I can say is that it has been an utter waste of time.

The point that I am trying to say is: Where do I start to try to get into a relationship? I do not want to get into a relationship with someone on my course as it will be awkward if it goes wrong...

Thank you
Zarek
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Join a few clubs where you'll meet like minded and wholesome girls. Go to the pub occasionally, even if you don't drink. Practice flirting. Observe and lean from more successful mates. Remember there's more to life than work. Forget internet dating, it's worse than a job interview.
wonderland.16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I relate to this so much. I'm basically a female version of what you describe, except I also have social anxiety and stuff. What I want to say is this: if you want to meet someone who is similar to yourself, someone who doesn't necessarily drink all the time and is focussed etc, you need to go to the places said person might be. Of course, there are chances everywhere, but the possibility is higher in a place they might visit often. For example, with me, you will rarely find me in a bar, but regularly in a coffee shop.

Also, don't go looking for it. I know sometimes it will be all you can think about but there is no point in forcing yourself to meet someone. Don't change how you are in different situations, just be how you usually are. Totally agree on the dating apps front. It works for some but not for me.

Good luck
Violet Femme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
1. Don't be ugly.
2. Have reasonable social skills.
3. Hang out with members of a the opposite sex.
WaffleApple
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
When i hear people complain about how useless online dating is i often think thats more down to them and not actual online dating.

Its an incredibly effective method at meeting people and getting dates if you know how to play the system.

Unless you are completely ugly and only going for stunning women then i see no reason why it would be an utter waste of time.

The mistake most people make is profile pictures... I recommend anyone who wants success with OLD to go the professional image route "Photographer" It makes a HUGE difference!

I had my images taken a few months ago by a photographer and the difference it made in response rates was unbelievable. It will set you back a decent chunk of cash though.
UWS
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You don't look for a girlfriend. Find a girl that you get on with, spend time with her and turn that into a relationship over time.

Join some societies. Since you're at university, it'll be easier to meet people your age. It's all about putting yourself out there and start meeting new people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (131)
18.02%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.04%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (126)
17.33%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (105)
14.44%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.63%
How can I be the best version of myself? (222)
30.54%

Watched Threads