The Student Room Group

How can I convert to Judaism ?

For quite a while now I have been considering converting to Judaism. My parents raised me with no religion so that I could make a decision about my religion myself, without being influenced by them. It has taken me a long time to decide which religion is right for me to follow, but after thorough research I have realised that I share many beliefs with those who follow Judiasm and I think that converting will help me to grow as a person and become closer to God.

I was wondering if anyone could help me work out how I can begin the conversion, and also how I can bring this up with my friends and family, as this is a very big decision to make. Thank you ~
Reply 1
Also, any other information related to Judaism that I may not know would be greatly appreciated !
I honestly dont know much about judiasm but have u considered islam? Probably the most misunderstood and misrepresented religion but words cannot describe its beauty and the amount of clarity you get from it.
Original post by Anonymous
I honestly dont know much about judiasm but have u considered islam? Probably the most misunderstood and misrepresented religion but words cannot describe its beauty and the amount of clarity you get from it.

Of course this would happen :rofl:
As for the OP, is there any way you can get in contact with a local(ish) synagogue? Or at least some knowledgeable practicing Jewish? If you want more information this site seems pretty good https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.myjewishlearning.com/article/the-conversion-process/amp/

As for broaching the topic with your parents...hopefully it won’t go too bad! I’ve never heard of non-religiously affiliated parents honour killing their kids for not following their doctrine but I’m guessing they might be a little shocked at first. Start bringing up a few topics surrounding Judaism like festivals maybe (sorry I’m not that knowledgeable about the faith 😅) to try and normalise the idea a bit(?) and as ever, good luck :smile: I hope you find the answers/happiness you’re searching for whether it’s in Judaism or not
(edited 5 years ago)
as a person my self who is a jewish person and keeps the religion of judaism i know it take a long time to convert to judaism if you have any questions message me and i will try and answer them
Reply 6

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, before I decided that Judaism was the right route for me to take I considered all religions equally.
Converting to Judaism is a TOUGH process. You need to be committed and so need to make sure that this is something you really want to do. Even beyond the conversion process, there are many laws which can be very difficult to keep if you haven’t been brought up with them. The first thing to do is to find a Rabbi to speak to who can help guide you through the process. I would also recommend starting to learn as much about Judaism as you can as early as possible as it will be very helpful for the conversion process and beyond. Let me know if you want me to message you on private if you want to ask more questions - I’m happy to answer anything regarding Judaism or even religion in general if I can offer anything of value
Reply 8
Original post by krissxkross
As for the OP, is there any way you can get in contact with a local(ish) synagogue? Or at least some knowledgeable practicing Jewish? If you want more information this site seems pretty good https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.myjewishlearning.com/article/the-conversion-process/amp/

As for broaching the topic with your parents...hopefully it won’t go too bad! I’ve never heard of non-religiously affiliated parents honour killing their kids for not following their doctrine but I’m guessing they might be a little shocked at first. Start bringing up a few topics surrounding Judaism like festivals maybe (sorry I’m not that knowledgeable about the faith 😅) to try and normalise the idea a bit(?) and as ever, good luck :smile: I hope you find the answers/happiness you’re searching for whether it’s in Judaism or not

Thank you very much for the help, I just looked up where my closest Synagogue is. It is approximately half an hour away by car, so I would definitely need to discuss the conversion with my parents before discussing anything with the Rabbi. Also it seems like a good idea to bring up Judaism in casual conversation to make my intentions less shocking !
Reply 9
Original post by fred2002
as a person my self who is a jewish person and keeps the religion of judaism i know it take a long time to convert to judaism if you have any questions message me and i will try and answer them

I would be very grateful - thank you
I will make ithe easy on you, because I have 2 friends like you and now they are Jewish.

What they have done was traveling to Israel and they started their journey from there.
I did not see them for very long time, but now they are Jews.

If you need more details I can ask them and message you.
Converting to Judaism is a long and difficult process. It is probably why people believe and convert to Islam more as it makes sense to easily convert without having to go through some long process and is universal. You would have to make an appointment with the Rabbi and go through a tough process. I would say to do your full research before committing to Judaism.
Converting to Judaism is a TOUGH process. You need to be committed and so need to make sure that this is something you really want to do. Even beyond the conversion process, there are many laws which can be very difficult to keep if you haven’t been brought up with them. The first thing to do is to find a Rabbi to speak to who can help guide you through the process. I would also recommend starting to learn as much about Judaism as you can as early as possible as it will be very helpful for the conversion process and beyond. Let me know if you want me to message you on private if you want to ask more questions - I’m happy to answer anything regarding Judaism or even religion in general if I can offer anything of value

That would be of great help, thank you. I would really like to learn more. Also I am aware that the conversion will be difficult and that I will need to make some major lifestyle changes. For example, I will need to give up volunteering and my part-time job to keep Shabbat. It may also effect my family as I will need to ensure no meat and dairy is mixed. However I am willing to do this. I have already started learning as much as I can about Judaism (though many parts are difficult to understand as a person new to religion).
Converting to Judaism is a long and difficult process. It is probably why people believe and convert to Islam more as it makes sense to easily convert without having to go through some long process and is universal. You would have to make an appointment with the Rabbi and go through a tough process. I would say to do your full research before committing to Judaism.

I understand why many people would choose Islam over Judaism, however Islam does not fit my morals and beliefs. Judaism does, and I also believe that the length of time and the effort that the conversion takes shouldn't effect the religion I choose. Instead I should base my choice off of what I believe will help me improve myself and become one with G-d. I would like to take the route that leads to joy and completeness rather than the easiest route.
That would be of great help, thank you. I would really like to learn more. Also I am aware that the conversion will be difficult and that I will need to make some major lifestyle changes. For example, I will need to give up volunteering and my part-time job to keep Shabbat. It may also effect my family as I will need to ensure no meat and dairy is mixed. However I am willing to do this. I have already started learning as much as I can about Judaism (though many parts are difficult to understand as a person new to religion).

Ah didn’t realise we were both anonymous. Just message me with any questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending