The Student Room Group

Alevel maths - why is it so fast !

Is anyone else thinking that we’re going through a level maths way too quickly ?
I’m literally getting straight fails as I can’t keep up
But when I have time to go over the work I understand it completely, but I’ve been told to drop it due to my low grades in the tests but I’m keeping it as i feel like I could get a better grade if I invest more time for maths , hows everyone finding maths ? (Not further maths )
Reply 1
How much independent work are you doing?
The reason your teachers are going quickly, most likely, is because they expect you to do the majority of the work outside of lessons. So they go over a topic, you revise it in your own time, they go on to the next.
In further maths (Okay, you said "no further maths" but they're literally both maths) we've gone through 6 pure maths chapters, 3 mechanics chapters and 4 statistics chapters since the start of September. We have more lessons, but we're also just doing the actual work in our own time and that's what allows us to keep up.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
If you put the work in consistently you’ll find that as your skills base expands you’ll hopefully reach a point where it clicks and starts making sense much faster. How quickly you get to that point depends entirely on how much independent work you put in, but maths is definitely a subject that you can improve massively in by investing time in it. (And it’s fun!!)
Thankyou for the replies :smile:

Quick Reply