Queen's University Belfast Medicine [A100] Applicants 2019 Watch

Vorpent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Schoolboy101)
What exactly to they mean by top 9 GCSE, is any combination or the core subjects ( maths, English, sciences) plus your top scoring subjects. For context I got 8A* (including maths and triple science) 1A 1B (in English language)
They are some great stats btw.

It says on the website

'The total points score will be based on results in the best 9 subjects, at first attempt unless the GCSE was taken a year early and then repeated at the normal stage. Only GCSEs taken in Years 11 and 12 will be counted (Years 10 and 11 in England and Wales)'

So your 8A* 1A will equate to 35/36 for academics, which is a strong score. So ideally you want 3 points on your UKCAT to be 'safe' at 38 points (this is a score in the region of 575-625).

38 points is considered safe because that's the highest the cut off has ever been and is unlikely to rise above that, in my opinion.
Schoolboy101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Vorpent)
They are some great stats btw.

It says on the website

'The total points score will be based on results in the best 9 subjects, at first attempt unless the GCSE was taken a year early and then repeated at the normal stage. Only GCSEs taken in Years 11 and 12 will be counted (Years 10 and 11 in England and Wales)'

So your 8A* 1A will equate to 35/36 for academics, which is a strong score. So ideally you want 3 points on your UKCAT to be 'safe' at 38 points (this is a score in the region of 575-625).

38 points is considered safe because that's the highest the cut off has ever been and is unlikely to rise above that, in my opinion.

Oh ok, thank you so much-very useful information.
Good luck with your application!
nfhc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
QUB have changed the scoring system for GCSEs slightly this year.

In previous years only A* and A were awarded points but they have extended that to include B and C this year. It might push the threshold up a little bit? If it does have an effect it would be a small one I think.
michaela0899
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey guys, any locals actually get an acknowledgement email? :confused:
D.ydt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by michaela0899)
Hey guys, any locals actually get an acknowledgement email? :confused:
Yep, got mine like almost 2 weeks ago
Student Roost Belfast
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
New student accommodation pricing!

Hi all! We’ve got a huge announcement to make. We’ve launched our new prices for 2019/20 and we’ve got some amazing offers running on our website. You could receive a £150 voucher for referring a friend or get up to a £750* discount for booking with us early.

For more information, please check out our website: https://www.studentroost.co.uk/ (please link this to your city page)
A.Person
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i just realised the academics are out of 36. And I score full marks for the academics plus 3 points for ukcat meaning 39 in total not 36 like i previously said.
ahorey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by A.Person)
i just realised the academics are out of 36. And I score full marks for the academics plus 3 points for ukcat meaning 39 in total not 36 like i previously said.
That sounds much more likely and what it was when I applied lol
Esteebee
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am also applying to QUB as well and haven't heard anything either. However, I need help with the calculations for the points as I don't seem to understand how it is calculated. If someone can kindly help, that will be very much appreciated.

My stats are:
A-levels A*AAB
GCSE's 5B's 3C's
UKCAT is 2/6 (Very bad).
Do I stand a chance at all?

Thank you
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Esteebee)
I am also applying to QUB as well and haven't heard anything either. However, I need help with the calculations for the points as I don't seem to understand how it is calculated. If someone can kindly help, that will be very much appreciated.

My stats are:
A-levels A*AAB
GCSE's 5B's 3C's
UKCAT is 2/6 (Very bad).
Do I stand a chance at all?

Thank you
Are you A levels achieved? And if so, is it your first time applying for medicine?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Esteebee
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Are you A levels achieved? And if so, is it your first time applying for medicine?
Yes please, thank you
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes please, thank you
We need to know if you already have your A level grades and have finished all the exams, and whether this is the first time you have ever applied for medicine
Gauri007
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi guys, are there any international applicants who haven't received any acknowledgement yet? I haven't got any mail so far and I'm a tad bit worried now :/
hira671
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gauri007)
Hi guys, are there any international applicants who haven't received any acknowledgement yet? I haven't got any mail so far and I'm a tad bit worried now :/
I didn't an acknowledgement yet but they sent me a fee questionnaire and I was given Home/ EU status so idk.
Vorpent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I don't think anyone has recieved even the acknowledgement emails yet. I mean I personally haven't anyway and I'm UK.
Esteebee
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
We need to know if you already have your A level grades and have finished all the exams, and whether this is the first time you have ever applied for medicine
I have already achieved my A-levels. They are A*AAB
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have already achieved my A-levels. They are A*AAB
And is this the first time you have applied for medicine? You didn't apply last year? As if you did, QUB will only look at your applicatio if you appled to them last year as well
Nishadya
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gauri007)
Heyy Im also an international applicant...I didnt get one either. The ucas welcome email said some unis dont send acknowledgment emails Maybe that's why?
Esteebee
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
And is this the first time you have applied for medicine? You didn't apply last year? As if you did, QUB will only look at your applicatio if you appled to them last year as well
No, I didn't apply last year. this is my first time applying for medicine
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, I didn't apply last year. this is my first time applying for medicine
Then you should receive full academic marks with achieved A levels that meet their cut off
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?