Uni is mad. How do you lot cope? Can anyone help with notes?? Watch

Ridinghigh95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Uni seems such a normal transition for most people. Especially on here! I’m 28, so a late starter. But I am genuinely finding every week sooo hard and tiring. Not particularly hard watching lectures but lab and maths is trying. I am struggling working out how to learn my content too. If I re write stuff, it takes me hours then I have no time for anything. I travel to uni too so I only have 2/3 spare hours a night and want to optimise it. So re writing notes isn’t going to happen. Would it be better to just print slides and annotate them? I know note taking is best and writing stuff down works best for me, but I really cannot re write everything. I have like 4/5 modules which I need to learn stuff for each week and there’s that much going on I’m findif myself doing no revision except taking the lectures and not looking at it again until next week. I’m not sure what to do? Help!
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Ridinghigh95)
Uni seems such a normal transition for most people. Especially on here! I’m 28, so a late starter. But I am genuinely finding every week sooo hard and tiring. Not particularly hard watching lectures but lab and maths is trying. I am struggling working out how to learn my content too. If I re write stuff, it takes me hours then I have no time for anything. I travel to uni too so I only have 2/3 spare hours a night and want to optimise it. So re writing notes isn’t going to happen. Would it be better to just print slides and annotate them? I know note taking is best and writing stuff down works best for me, but I really cannot re write everything. I have like 4/5 modules which I need to learn stuff for each week and there’s that much going on I’m findif myself doing no revision except taking the lectures and not looking at it again until next week. I’m not sure what to do? Help!
I know a few students who print out the slides and annotate them, personally I write my own notes in lectures as I like to have more space to write than round the edges of the printed slides.

Do your lecturers record lectures, or can you ask them if you can using a phone or voice recorder? If my lecturers allow it I like to record the lectures so I can go through them again later; that takes the pressure off because I inevitably miss things the lecturer says whilst note taking. Also, have you considered typing out notes instead of writing them? I find typing up notes much quicker and almost never hand write them.

My strategy is to aim to type up the notes from lectures on the same day, if I can't do that then to complete them at the weekend so they're done before the next week.

Good luck!
wonderland.16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
As the above poster says, perhaps recording a lecture and then listening it back in the car or whilst doing other stuff would be beneficial. I find I memorise stuff best through repetition, through writing and speaking. Thankfully my course doesn't really require us to remember loads of stuff we won't use (I'm on teacher training).

Uni is tough, made even harder by commuting so I have heard. What I am starting to do (I'm in my second, penultimate year before I'm a qualified teacher) is create a rough guide of what I want to do and when, allowing time for just relaxing too. I have three assignments due by Christmas, whilst on placement where I have multiple additional assessments and data to collect for a fourth assignment, so it's pretty heavy workload already. Trust me when I say, so many people struggle at uni. First year is meant to be the 'easiest' and most 'laid back' but I think it's also in a way the hardest as you have to adjust to everything.

If you have any gaps in between lectures etc in the day, use that time to study rather than just doing nothing. Obviously have some time to do nothing too, but those hours add up and can be very valuable!

I hope you get it all figured out. The first couple of months is basically figuring out how to juggle everything to the best of your ability (from my experience anyway).

Good luck!!
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Ridinghigh95)
It’s really about organisation, planning and time management. Once you get the hang of that, you won’t feel so overwhelmed.
You don’t need to re-write everything - just try and expand on the lecture slides because they are really only a guide.
Record on your phone and listen to them on your journey to and from uni.I just finished my course and I’m 70, so a very late starter.
If you can spend part of you weekend making a study schedule which is manageable, you should be OK.
Ridinghigh95
Rep:
?
(Original post by wonderland.16)
As the above poster says, perhaps recording a lecture and then listening it back in the car or whilst doing other stuff would be beneficial. I find I memorise stuff best through repetition, through writing and speaking. Thankfully my course doesn't really require us to remember loads of stuff we won't use (I'm on teacher training).

Uni is tough, made even harder by commuting so I have heard. What I am starting to do (I'm in my second, penultimate year before I'm a qualified teacher) is create a rough guide of what I want to do and when, allowing time for just relaxing too. I have three assignments due by Christmas, whilst on placement where I have multiple additional assessments and data to collect for a fourth assignment, so it's pretty heavy workload already. Trust me when I say, so many people struggle at uni. First year is meant to be the 'easiest' and most 'laid back' but I think it's also in a way the hardest as you have to adjust to everything.

If you have any gaps in between lectures etc in the day, use that time to study rather than just doing nothing. Obviously have some time to do nothing too, but those hours add up and can be very valuable!

I hope you get it all figured out. The first couple of months is basically figuring out how to juggle everything to the best of your ability (from my experience anyway).

Good luck!!
Yes I learn best through doing that too. I think I’ll print of lectures before hand for those who don’t hand them out and annotate them and file them. Then I can use them for study notes and around exams make extra revision notes and cards. Thank you I think I need to find a recording device as that would be helpful.
Ridinghigh95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Seamus123)
It’s really about organisation, planning and time management. Once you get the hang of that, you won’t feel so overwhelmed.
You don’t need to re-write everything - just try and expand on the lecture slides because they are really only a guide.
Record on your phone and listen to them on your journey to and from uni.I just finished my course and I’m 70, so a very late starter.
If you can spend part of you weekend making a study schedule which is manageable, you should be OK.
I totally agree and wow 70! That’s an amazing thing to do. I think even I at 28 constantly have it in my mind I could of done this years ago, instead of now when I have more commitments stress and worries. There’s a scale where your supposed to be, and I’m still at home with my Mum and it’s pretty sad . But I wanted to do this to give myself a life and a future . Yes I’ll be late starting but I’ve still got a whole life ahead of me yet. And I’m not planning on re writing any notes again now!
XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
During my first year at uni, we set up a google drive with shared documents so that someone would write notes in lecture and they’d update real time on all our laptops, and everyone would add their own bits in and use the chat box linked to each document for general discussion and questions. Helped massively.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Everyone just ‘takes notes’ from the slides, as in they waste their time copying what’s in the PowerPoint and putting it in note format word for word missing the lecturers elaboration. It’s way better to engage with your lecturers thought process and understand how he/she is building on concepts so when you go back to the PowerPoint that one line triggers a huge chain of thoughts rather than having to do that yourself in your own time.
Neuth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I print the slides in advance, make written notes in the lectures and then rewatch the recordings of the lectures after and type up notes.
I also have some software called Sonocent which is really useful (combines slides, recorded audio and typed notes during lectures in real-time) - I don't use it all the time but when I do, it's great.

Hope you can work out what works best for you soon! :fluffy:
wonderland.16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by 3121)
Everyone just ‘takes notes’ from the slides, as in they waste their time copying what’s in the PowerPoint and putting it in note format word for word missing the lecturers elaboration. It’s way better to engage with your lecturers thought process and understand how he/she is building on concepts so when you go back to the PowerPoint that one line triggers a huge chain of thoughts rather than having to do that yourself in your own time.
I appreciate what you are saying, but I personally think it depends on how the individual uses the notes, and their 'learning style' if there is such a thing. Everyone on my course takes notes, because a lot of our content is verbal, and isn't on powerpoints etc. And even when there is a powerpoint, there isn't a lot of information on it. When writing assignments, considering assessments in school and other placement information and tips, I find it easier to use my own notes and go back through those as they are in order than use Moodle, as everything is stored in different folders and tricky to locate. Not only that but many of my lecturers aren't that great at remembering to upload stuff to moodle *eye roll*

I agree to an extent, making notes that aren't engaged with any further benefits very few individuals. I am probably one of those few as I do recall a lot of information from writing it down, even just once. But the majority don't, which I think is what you are referring to here?

Each to their own methods though, it's all about finding the best way for the individual I think
Ridinghigh95
Rep:
?
(Original post by 3121)
Yes and that’s exactly what I’m wanting to avoid. There’s only one lecture we don’t get given it so I’ll print it out and annotate it , make extra notes as already, I am already learning better than from my access course as I had to teach it to myself during assignments and never learnt it properly . Where as I already feel there is progress within a couple of lectures!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (190)
12.77%
Excited (122)
8.2%
Worried (279)
18.75%
Terrified (343)
23.05%
Meh (123)
8.27%
Confused (34)
2.28%