The Student Room Group

what is tension in mechanics?

I don't actually understand what tension is? e.g. if a question said find the tension in AC, what actually is tension? many thanks
Original post by Bertybassett
I don't actually understand what tension is? e.g. if a question said find the tension in AC, what actually is tension? many thanks

Tension is a type of force, which is usually modelled to be acting throughout the object.

So if two people are pulling a rope in opposite directions, then the rope experiences an force of tension which acts in both directions along it equally, it's what makes it feel as if it's being ripped apart (assuming ropes had feelings...). The bigger the tension, the more the rope wants to snap.
Original post by Bertybassett

In simple terms, tension is forces (one on each side) that would tend to make the object longer in the direction it acts, e.g. forces that would make a string taught. A member under a tension T has that force acting outwards at its ends., but also on every sub section.

Could you post an example of a question that you don't follow?
Original post by RogerOxon
In simple terms, tension is forces (one on each side) that would tend to make the object longer in the direction it acts,

And there was me about to tell the OP that tension in mechanics is manifested by a sharp intake of breath and the sucking of teeth and is caused by the realisation that the price they have quoted to fix your car is a lot higher than you expected.
Original post by Good bloke
And there was me about to tell the OP that tension in mechanics is manifested by a sharp intake of breath and the sucking of teeth and is caused by the realisation that the price they have quoted to fix your car is a lot higher than you expected.

:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest