strafa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm planning to major in PPE (Philosophy, Politics, Economics) for uni, and read that taking Math HL was useful for the economics part and that some unis actually require Math HL like LSE and UCL. Since PPE is also an essay based subject where it requires us to have good analytical writing skills, I read that taking History HL will help you with this. However, I also heard that Math and History HL were considered to be one of the most difficult and time consuming subjects, which makes me a bit nervous. Do you think it's still manageable, or should I drop one of the two subjects to SL.

If you're wondering what my 4 other subjects are: Economics HL, English A (Lang Lit) SL, Indonesian B (acquisition) SL, Bio SL
seasoncolors
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As someone in my second year of the IB, I'd honestly say that as long as you're good at time management, you can take the hardest courses in IB at the same time and you'll be fine. Even if you're not, though, History HL and Math HL would be manageable—yes there's a high workload, but as long as you work hard.

If you think History is too daunting, Global Politics might be a fitting option for your planned major and the skills you want to develop.
strafa
Rep:
?
(Original post by seasoncolors)
As someone in my second year of the IB, I'd honestly say that as long as you're good at time management, you can take the hardest courses in IB at the same time and you'll be fine. Even if you're not, though, History HL and Math HL would be manageable—yes there's a high workload, but as long as you work hard.

If you think History is too daunting, Global Politics might be a fitting option for your planned major and the skills you want to develop.
Actually, I did want to do Global Politics instead of History, however, my school doesn't offer it. Anyways, thanks for the advice!
arigziegler
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey,
I was doing Maths HL and History HL in the first year of IB but I eventually dropped both because I missed 2/3 of the year due to medical reasons (still ended up with 4 HLs though :P). It was a lot of work but I wasn't specially gifted at maths so that's probably why. A lot of my friends managed it just fine though.
strafa
Rep:
?
(Original post by arigziegler)
Hey,
I was doing Maths HL and History HL in the first year of IB but I eventually dropped both because I missed 2/3 of the year due to medical reasons (still ended up with 4 HLs though :P). It was a lot of work but I wasn't specially gifted at maths so that's probably why. A lot of my friends managed it just fine though.
Alright then, thanks for the advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (12)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.87%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.62%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
40.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.84%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.25%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.49%

Watched Threads