The Student Room Group

How to stop being a nice guy?

How can I stop being a nice guy?

Scroll to see replies

Set boundaries, don't allow people to take advantage or you or walk over you.

Approve of yourself, you don't need to approval of others or to please people.

Smile only when necessary.

Make yourself a priority, your needs, your goals, do what you want to do.

Read 'no more mr nice guy'.
General advice for self-identifying nice guys:
Stop assuming women will date you simply because you are nice.
Stop being so creepy.
Stop getting nasty when a girl says no.
Reply 3
what do you mean? Why do u want to stop a being a nice guy?
Original post by ManicDrBeatles

The more people that you care about, the more people that can hurt you.

Be your best self. Don't care about what people think about you.

Be respectful but not a pushover. The easier that people get to you the easier they would get over you.

For women, always be firm but gentle. Don't tag along to all events and set your own goals. Dress well and keep a good appearance of yourself. Make sure you are respected and quickly tie off any loose ends. Maintain the “boss” attitude.

In general, speak less and listen more. Keep your cards close to your chest and don't react emotionally to everything that people do to you.
Original post by Analyst89
Set boundaries, don't allow people to take advantage or you or walk over you.

Approve of yourself, you don't need to approval of others or to please people.

Smile only when necessary.

Make yourself a priority, your needs, your goals, do what you want to do.

Read 'no more mr nice guy'.

Thanks for the reply
Original post by Violet Femme
Stop being so creepy.

Going off what you said nice guys are, I guess I’m not actually a nice guy.
personally, I think its not bad to be a 'nice guy' but is to be a 'pushover' - being known for being nice isnt so bad, unless you have people walking over your back, ppl being nice guys are not always bad.
Original post by Wired_1800
The more people that you care about, the more people that can hurt you.

Be your best self. Don't care about what people think about you.

Be respectful but not a pushover. The easier that people get to you the easier they would get over you.

For women, always be firm but gentle. Don't tag along to all events and set your own goals. Dress well and keep a good appearance of yourself. Make sure you are respected and quickly tie off any loose ends. Maintain the “boss” attitude.

In general, speak less and listen more. Keep your cards close to your chest and don't react emotionally to everything that people do to you.

Thank You

I don't really understand what girls mean by "nice guy". I hear all sorts of things like "he expects a relationship because he was nice" to even some guys being "nice", but later on they are jerks because they not satisfied or whatnot.

BUT there is one thing I do know. Nice guys think people own them something, but in reality no ones owes you anything.

JUST DON'T ASSUME PEOPLE OWE YOU ANYTHING AND DO YOUR OWN STUFF.

That's what I do......
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
personally, I think its not bad to be a 'nice guy' but is to be a 'pushover' - being known for being nice isnt so bad, unless you have people walking over your back, ppl being nice guys are not always bad.

Thanks
Original post by Asazycat
I don't really understand what girls mean by "nice guy". I hear all sorts of things like "he expects a relationship because he was nice" to even some guys being "nice", but later on they are jerks because they not satisfied or whatnot.

BUT there is one thing I do know. Nice guys think people own them something, but in reality no ones owes you anything.

JUST DON'T ASSUME PEOPLE OWE YOU ANYTHING AND DO YOUR OWN STUFF.

That's what I do......

Good advice
Good advice

Glad to help.
Stop being so creepy.

creepy, nasty, seems a bit much, no?, not begging to go out with you, wants some honest advice....
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
creepy, nasty, seems a bit much, no?, not begging to go out with you, wants some honest advice....

Unfortunately most men who call themselves nice guys fit this description:

Attachment not found
Unfortunately most men who call themselves nice guys fit this description:

Attachment not found

I guess I’m not a nice guy then after all haha
You can be both nice and assertive. Allowing people to walk all over you is a sign that you're insecure and not a sign that you're nice.
Original post by YaliaV
You can be both nice and assertive. Allowing people to walk all over you is a sign that you're insecure and not a sign that you're nice.

So you mean I should say no more when I don’t want to do something?
^ This - the two are not mutually exclusive. One of the most attractive qualities is actually self-confidence.

A
Original post by Mr Aitch
^ This - the two are not mutually exclusive. One of the most attractive qualities is actually self-confidence.

A

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending