Inns of Court BPTC Scholarship 2018/19 Watch

frdchckn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi there. I am considering applying to Middle Temple for a BPTC scholarship. However, I am an international student, and was wondering what chances I have actually securing a scholarship from any Inn - given that the scholarships are intended for those who "intend to practice in England and Wales" and how difficult it is for any law student to secure a pupillage, what more an international student.

Is it worth my time submitting an application?
Akhiabba
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I have the same exact question. Although I am applying to Inner Temple. Please tell me what made you choose Middle Temple.Also, is it necessary for you to have amazing scores in order to get a scholarship?I am really really stressed.
frdchckn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Akhiabba)
I have the same exact question. Although I am applying to Inner Temple. Please tell me what made you choose Middle Temple.Also, is it necessary for you to have amazing scores in order to get a scholarship?I am really really stressed.
I chose Middle Temple because they explicitly mentioned the scholarship being open to anyone from any background and I have read that they are committed to diversity. Also because they interview everyone.
AlrightStill
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I would drop the scholarships officer at Middle Temple an email for clarification. On the face of it, it seems ok if you intend to practice in England and Wales from the get go but your plans change because you don't attain pupillage in the jurisdiction. I don't see how this is any different to someone who - for example - transfers to become a solicitor because they don't attain pupillage - what matters is your true intention at the time of application. I'm sure that this will be probed in the interviews.

In any event, the deadline has passed...good luck if you do press ahead with it!
InnsofCourt
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm taking to assume by international student you mean non-EU, as EU students will (at least currently) have the same prospects as UK students, assuming they are fluent in English and have the skills.The easiest way to answer this is to start with your prospects of Pupillage. I don't want to sound unnecessarily harsh, and I say this for the good of everyone... International students are incredibly unlikely to gain Pupillage.

Why is that? Well quite simply there are number of visa and sponsorship requirements which all act as barriers. It is already very competitive and Chambers will not want to go through the hassle, risk and cost of hiring an international pupil when there are already hundreds of brilliant candidates without those barriers.

Moving on to the Inns' Scholarships - they ask this question about your intention because they are investing in future barristers in England and Wales. If they are not convinced you will practise in England and Wales (which they won't be because of the above) then they are highly unlikely to award a scholarship. That is not to say that some will not slip through the net, so it might be worth applying still (you have nothing to lose) but be aware that it is very unlikely
Last edited by InnsofCourt; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads