External candidate A-Level Biology problem

Watch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am having a problem with booking my biology exams. Every centre I contact tells me that I am unable to do the exam there as they cannot provide me with a practical endorsement.
I am unable to do the practical endorsement because of location and cost. However, I have contacted multiple universities I am interested in and they have informed me that not having a practical endorsement is not an issue for them.

Any advice? (Thank you!)
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 53985)

I am having a problem with booking my biology exams. Every centre I contact tells me that I am unable to do the exam there as they cannot provide me with a practical endorsement.
I am unable to do the practical endorsement because of location and cost. However, I have contacted multiple universities I am interested in and they have informed me that not having a practical endorsement is not an issue for them.

Any advice? (Thank you!)
This is a serious problem for private candidates in all of the A level sciences. Firstly, why are you a private candidate? Are you a mature student, or a standard age? If you're a mature student, there is a chance that a uni would overlook the lack of a practical endorsement, but it's not guaranteed.

Most centres will not accept you as a private candidate because of the difficulty in providing the practical endorsement. The only option in this case is doing it through a distance learning college which specifically provides for the endorsement, such as the NEC. However, this is a very expensive option.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Exam centres have to declare that all A level Science candidates were given the opportunity to take the practical endorsement, meaning that they can't accept candidates if they don't. A possible way round it is for the centre to agree to offer it to you at a price you aren't prepared to pay - they fulfil their requirement and you get to sit the exams somewhere.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
Exam centres have to declare that all A level Science candidates were given the opportunity to take the practical endorsement, meaning that they can't accept candidates if they don't. A possible wayr round it is for the centre to agree to offer it to you at a price you aren't prepared to pay - they fulfil their requirement and you get to sit the exams somewhere.
Clever.
cornucopia
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are some private exam centres which will take external candidates for science A-levels here :
https://he-exams.wikia.com/wiki/Science_A-levels

Perhaps you could approach some of them and try Compost's suggestion, which sticks to the letter of the regulations
tiggysniggy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Did you manage to sort this?im a mature student and having major issues getting my biology and chemistry practical endorsements sorted. Advanced learner loans have said they'll pay for them but i haven't found a single college who will allow external candidates and the learner loans people approve? The deadline for most registrations is mid Feb so I'm getting a bit desperate....
cornucopia
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tiggysniggy)
Did you manage to sort this?im a mature student and having major issues getting my biology and chemistry practical endorsements sorted. Advanced learner loans have said they'll pay for them but i haven't found a single college who will allow external candidates and the learner loans people approve? The deadline for most registrations is mid Feb so I'm getting a bit desperate....
There are several private exam centres which will take external candidates for science A-level practicals. You'll see those I know of listed on The HE Exams wiki page on Science A-levels . It can cost up to £1k. Off the top of my head, there are several in London , one in Oxford, one in Wales where you go to stay for a week, one in Liverpool , one in Coventry, one in Bolton and one in Kent. There are others, but those are the ones I can think of offhand. Details on that page.
tiggysniggy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cornucopia)
There are several private exam centres which will take external candidates for science A-level practicals. You'll see those I know of listed on The HE Exams wiki page on Science A-levels . It can cost up to £1k. Off the top of my head, there are several in London , one in Oxford, one in Wales where you go to stay for a week, one in Liverpool , one in Coventry, one in Bolton and one in Kent. There are others, but those are the ones I can think of offhand. Details on that page.
It's paying for it that's the problem.. I'm doing chemistry and biology which obviously adds up. Advanced learner loans pay for some colleges but I've had no luck find a college approved which takes external candidates. :/
MIY
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello

Macclesfield Tutorial College (in Cheshire) accepts private external candidates for exams and also does the practical experiments for GCSE and A-level courses. They are not cheap but they accept pretty much all the main exam boards at the college. Just check out there website,
Deliapet
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there, I am exactly in your same situation. I don't need the practical endorsements but I can't seem to find a college. Did you manage to find one? Thanks
(Original post by 53985)

Any advice? (Thank you!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (2)
18.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (2)
18.18%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (1)
9.09%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (4)
36.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (2)
18.18%

Watched Threads