The Student Room Group

Is it normal to stay up until 23:00 doing homework?

I’ve got so much homework right now that I came home at around 4 from college and begun homework. I’ve just finished at 23:00 and I still have more to do but I’m giving up for the night. Anyone get this much homework???
Reply 1
If it's all in for the next day then sure it's too much
Reply 2
Original post by Panickingdiscos
I’ve got so much homework right now that I came home at around 4 from college and begun homework. I’ve just finished at 23:00 and I still have more to do but I’m giving up for the night. Anyone get this much homework???

I have a lot of revision to do and stopped at 23:00 as well, but I'll be resuming at 6ish because that's the daily grind. Just keep going
Reply 3
That's only ever happened to me because I've let homework build up and/or tried to do it all in one go. You won't get that much all due for the next day so there's no need to do it all in one go (unless you left it all to the last minute which I often do and in that situation it's your own fault).
For me, yes. But I have almost no frees, I get home at 5 and consider it early if I manage to stay work before about 6:30/7. Working 7 hours a night, no that's not usual. Is it ridiculous levels of homework or are you just a very slow worker? Either way, do you have a personal tutor you can talk to and tell them how long it's taking? They might be able to give you some tips to help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Geek5
That's only ever happened to me because I've let homework build up and/or tried to do it all in one go. You won't get that much all due for the next day so there's no need to do it all in one go (unless you left it all to the last minute which I often do and in that situation it's your own fault).

I get homework every lesson everyday :frown:
Original post by Lemur14
For me, yes. But I have almost no frees, I get home at 5 and consider it early if I manage to stay work before about 6:30/7. Working 7 hours a night, no that's not usual. Is it ridiculous levels of homework or are you just a very slow worker? Either way, do you have a personal tutor you can talk to and tell them how long it's taking? They might be able to give you some tips to help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A Levels are a nightmare:frown: I should talk to my tutor, thanks!:smile:
You’re in for a treat once you get to uni :rofl:

For A-Level, I don't think that's particularly normal unless you're also revising.
Reply 9
I always used to procrastinate too much so would start at 7, or 8pm then finish at midnight or then just do the almost opposite of doing barely any in the night to panic wake at 5am to squeeze as much as I could into a few hours before I had to go. I found then I really did what I could to do it as quickly as possible and as much as possible without being too concerned to get it perfect then. But I don't recommend either method.
last year Italian high school student here,
does it make you feel better if I tell you I have that homework schedule everyday? And I'm kind of a quick learner too, to memorize well 30 pages it takes me 10 minutes or less.
sometimes I have so much to do that I'm forced to choose a subject to study over another one! we have no A levels or things like those, but our teachers make us do oral tests and they can decide when to do them anytime without letting us know, plus we have written tests, so often we end up with 2 oral tests and one written in the same day... it's hell on Earth tbh, but there's no need (or usefulness) in asking yourself wether it's too much or too little, you just have to do what you're required to and be able to concentrate for the longest period of time. it sucks! but once you get used to do so it's no big deal, maybe it's just a phase where you're receiving more homework than usual, just roll with it :smile:
Original post by RichPiana
You’re in for a treat once you get to uni :rofl:

Just read this as I prepare myself for an all nighter to write an essay that's due at 3pm tomorrow. What could possibly go wrong?

How many A levels are you doing? Which ones?
Im doing my coursework rn, kill me. It's in for tommorow and it aint good
Original post by Unknown-99
Just read this as I prepare myself for an all nighter to write an essay that's due at 3pm tomorrow. What could possibly go wrong?

You got those red bulls ready?
Well no that's not normal. Are you leaving all of your homework until the night before? Or are you doing it all on the day you were given it? In which case maybe you should do it more spread out. If that is not the case then honestly you should complain because they should not be giving you that much. Yes you get a lot more homework at A level but there is a point where it excessive and totally unnecessary

Quick Reply

Latest