Turn on thread page Beta

help with A levels choice! english lit, chemistry or geography? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not from the UK so I didn't take GCSE, but I'm applying for an A level scholarship and I need to choose my subjects. I'm not completely sure about my career path, but for now I think I'll do psychology. I know I want to take biology and psychology, but I'm having a hard time with choosing my third subject.
    The only ones I see as options for me are english lit, geography, and chemistry. The problem with english lit is that I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up with all the reading because of mental health issues with focus. I've heard chemistry is really difficult and that makes me kinda scared cause it's not like I'm bad at chemistry, but I'm not super good either. And I'm not familiar with the geography A level content. Does anyone who took any of these subjects have advice?

ReputationRep:
    Im currently taking geography and id say for you it could be the best option. From what ive heard chemistry is pretty difficult and some of my friends have dropped it, and i know where youre coming from with english because i have adhd so i struggle to concentrate too. With geography, i think the course content depends on what exam board your sixth form/college follows (this will likely be on their website) and from there you can google the content for that exam board. My sixth form does the exam board aqa and from my experiences so far theres nothing too challenging on it and some of the stuff further into the course looks interesting. Have a look around on the exam board website for whatever subject you choose, it should help you decide

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry contains loads of maths. If you're not doing Maths, I wouldn't recommend chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theryecatcher)
    I'm not from the UK so I didn't take GCSE, but I'm applying for an A level scholarship and I need to choose my subjects. I'm not completely sure about my career path, but for now I think I'll do psychology. I know I want to take biology and psychology, but I'm having a hard time with choosing my third subject.
    The only ones I see as options for me are english lit, geography, and chemistry. The problem with english lit is that I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up with all the reading because of mental health issues with focus. I've heard chemistry is really difficult and that makes me kinda scared cause it's not like I'm bad at chemistry, but I'm not super good either. And I'm not familiar with the geography A level content. Does anyone who took any of these subjects have advice?
    I've completed psychology A-Level and I'm now doing Biology, Chemistry and Sociology. I would definitely suggest not to pick English lit because psychology and English lit together will absolutely drain you out when it will come to exams. I personally wouldn't say chemistry is that bad. Sometimes it's harder to understand the content but once you do it becomes very easy - you kind of just have to keep trying until you get your head around it and not everyone is willing to do so (which explains why some people drop out of it). There is maths content but it's not that hard, you definitely don't need to do maths A-Level to understand it. And also, I wasn't that good at chemistry at all when I started it 😂 my friend does geography with biology and chemistry and she absolutely hates geography, but I personally wouldn't think it's too bad. So, I'd pick chemistry or possibly geography and forget about English lit

ReputationRep:
    Do Chemistry. Biology, Chemistry and Psychology is a good combo. Chemistry doesn't contain any maths harder than gcse level imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosewillow)
    Im currently taking geography and id say for you it could be the best option. From what ive heard chemistry is pretty difficult and some of my friends have dropped it, and i know where youre coming from with english because i have adhd so i struggle to concentrate too. With geography, i think the course content depends on what exam board your sixth form/college follows (this will likely be on their website) and from there you can google the content for that exam board. My sixth form does the exam board aqa and from my experiences so far theres nothing too challenging on it and some of the stuff further into the course looks interesting. Have a look around on the exam board website for whatever subject you choose, it should help you decide
    thanks! i'll have a look at the course content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atlantida)
    I've completed psychology A-Level and I'm now doing Biology, Chemistry and Sociology. I would definitely suggest not to pick English lit because psychology and English lit together will absolutely drain you out when it will come to exams. I personally wouldn't say chemistry is that bad. Sometimes it's harder to understand the content but once you do it becomes very easy - you kind of just have to keep trying until you get your head around it and not everyone is willing to do so (which explains why some people drop out of it). There is maths content but it's not that hard, you definitely don't need to do maths A-Level to understand it. And also, I wasn't that good at chemistry at all when I started it 😂 my friend does geography with biology and chemistry and she absolutely hates geography, but I personally wouldn't think it's too bad. So, I'd pick chemistry or possibly geography and forget about English lit
    what really scares me about chemistry is because i have some symptoms of depression, idk if trying to succeed at something over and over again would make my mental health worse, but i'll see how i like it during the year i'm currently in and hopefully that helps

ReputationRep:
    what really scares me about chemistry is because i have some symptoms of depression, idk if trying to succeed at something over and over again would make my mental health worse, but i'll see how i like it during the year i'm currently in and hopefully that helps
    You can pick whichever subject you prefer at the start and if you don't like it, you can always change it in the 1st month or so. I managed to change a subject 6 months into my A-Levels and I'm doing great 😂 that way you can see whichever one you'd prefer the most

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atlantida)
    You can pick whichever subject you prefer at the start and if you don't like it, you can always change it in the 1st month or so. I managed to change a subject 6 months into my A-Levels and I'm doing great 😂 that way you can see whichever one you'd prefer the most
    oh i didn't know that was an option, thank you!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Also, as I said picking English lit together with psychology would absolutely drain you out in year 13, so that's really something to take into consideration if you are worried about your mental health

ReputationRep:
    I’m not finding chemistry too hard, plus it’s really interesting and it goes super well with biology, I can’t say for the others I don’t do them 🙂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.