The Student Room Group

Predicted Grades Issue (UCAS)

Hi there,

I’m studying
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by zakv72
Hi there,

I’m studying my a-levels at home on the linear specification for all my subjects (Maths, Econ and RE) also self-taught..so no tutors to predict grades and no colleges for internal assessments of any kind. I won’t have predicted grades when the UCAS window opens..my GCSE’s were not the greatest..I achieved 5 C’s but this was long ago and wouldn’t want universities basing anything on my past results. Any advice? Modular spec had its benefits I guess lol.

Who are you going to ask to write your reference? Predictions are optional, a reference isn’t.
Original post by zakv72
Yeah I know but any idea who might be able to do a reference for me if I’m not in school/college and also a mature student now? I’m aiming on going to a good university so my predicted will matter a lot right? Thank you

I don’t know who you know who might be suitable to provide a reference. Are you still in touch with any teachers from school? Or a work manager who could provide a reference? Or a family friend?
Original post by zakv72
None of the above apart from maybe a family friend but would they be able to give me predicted grades? And would accept what they put down? Will it not be bias in a way.

Who would you ask for a reference if you were applying for a job?

Your reference is more important than your predicted grades.
Original post by zakv72
Confused. I meant the family friend would write up my reference and I understand that it’s most important. I could get someone to write a reference but getting the predicted grades are looking like a huge issue for me.

Predicted grades are optional. Your referee doesn’t have to provide them.

If a university needs them then they’ll contact you after you apply to ask for them.
Perhaps it would be better to wait until next year to apply, when you actually have your A level grades? You could go straight into Clearing with an application on results day, I think?

Of course, you risk none of the 'top universities' you are aiming for having places in Clearing. But at the moment, you are offering them very little to go on, apart from a bunch of elderly and not very good GCSEs.

Could you not have taken the AS levels in your subjects anyway? Even if they no longer contribute to the A level grading, it would have given the universities something to go on. And it's something that at least one of the 'ultimate top' universities, Cambridge, prefers.
Can I ask why you’re self-teaching?? It seems to be causing problems for you and your application :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending