The Student Room Group

Moving Home

Hi guys,

I’ve been away at uni for just over a month, so it’s still early days, but I’m starting to think that living away from home isn’t for me. I’ve joined socieities, made friends and I’m enjoying my lectures and even though there’s nothing that’s made me dislike the city I’m in I find myself wanting to come home constantly and wish I’d stayed at a uni closer to home.
I know this is normal, I’ve been at uni for almost 6 weeks so I’ve not given myself much time to adjust but I’m considering re applying through UCAS to unis closer to home (currently 2:30 hours away). If I still feel the same by Christmas then I’ll seriously consider leaving, I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience and whether it’s worth staying. I never really wanted to move away but was encouraged by my family/ teachers at sixth form etc to move, I don’t feel that it’s for me at the minute.

Thanks guys ☺️
Hey!

As you have acknowledged, it is early days and totally normal to feel this way.
I am in 2nd year, and last year my flatmate really struggled. She would call home daily, be contantly upset and just struggled a lot. Every opportunity she would travel home (about 2 hour drive, but longer on the train- she went by train). But, I convinced her to stick it out, chat with her course lead and student services for support, and she is now very glad I helped her out. I told her to stick with it until Christmas and then if she still hated it she could go (obviously she could go whenever though), which she stuck to. It does get easier as you adapt to uni life etc. Try not to think about it too much- it still bothers me occasionally, but unfortunately, due to my course and my parents work, visiting is a bit tricky for me- but as long as I don't really think about it I am totally fine :smile:

I hope things improve for you. And remember, you're nearly at reading week and then it's a few more weeks til Christmas. It's not long at all if you think of it like that! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by wonderland.16
Hey!

As you have acknowledged, it is early days and totally normal to feel this way.
I am in 2nd year, and last year my flatmate really struggled. She would call home daily, be contantly upset and just struggled a lot. Every opportunity she would travel home (about 2 hour drive, but longer on the train- she went by train). But, I convinced her to stick it out, chat with her course lead and student services for support, and she is now very glad I helped her out. I told her to stick with it until Christmas and then if she still hated it she could go (obviously she could go whenever though), which she stuck to. It does get easier as you adapt to uni life etc. Try not to think about it too much- it still bothers me occasionally, but unfortunately, due to my course and my parents work, visiting is a bit tricky for me- but as long as I don't really think about it I am totally fine :smile:

I hope things improve for you. And remember, you're nearly at reading week and then it's a few more weeks til Christmas. It's not long at all if you think of it like that! :smile:

Thank you! I think I’m feeling the same as your flat mate was, I’m sure it’ll get better 😊
Original post by charl_edenx
Thank you! I think I’m feeling the same as your flat mate was, I’m sure it’ll get better 😊

Stay positive, and keep busy! My flatmate made it and she is really glad she didn't give up! Hope it works out for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending