UK would still lose EU budget rebate if it decided to cancel Brexit Watch

Mister Fantastic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This news is very damaging to the remoaner's cause. If we have another referendum and decide to stay, it will cost us an extra 5 billion a year. Boris go find a bus and a tin of red paint. Job done.
Günther Oettinger told reporters in Brussels that such a rebate was “no longer appropriate” in a family of nations.

He added that the question of a second EU referendum was something that was “solely in the hands of the legitimately democratically elected government” of the UK.
Describing Britain’s €6.2 billion (£4.9 billion) cashback as “the mother of all rebates” Mr Oettinger said the payment would still be gradually be reduced to zero in stages.
“In the improbable but pleasant case that the UK would remain – I would certainly find that to be absolutely fabulous but I can’t imagine it – in that instance, then the gradual exit from the rebate would still be kept. I think it is something which is no longer appropriate in a family of 27,” Mr Oettinger said.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8580616.html
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mister Fantastic)
This news is very damaging to the remoaner's cause. If we have another referendum and decide to stay, it will cost us an extra 5 billion a year. Boris go find a bus and a tin of red paint. Job done.
Günther Oettinger told reporters in Brussels that such a rebate was “no longer appropriate” in a family of nations.

He added that the question of a second EU referendum was something that was “solely in the hands of the legitimately democratically elected government” of the UK.
Describing Britain’s €6.2 billion (£4.9 billion) cashback as “the mother of all rebates” Mr Oettinger said the payment would still be gradually be reduced to zero in stages.
“In the improbable but pleasant case that the UK would remain – I would certainly find that to be absolutely fabulous but I can’t imagine it – in that instance, then the gradual exit from the rebate would still be kept. I think it is something which is no longer appropriate in a family of 27,” Mr Oettinger said.

It isnt up to him though, its just his opinion. You give it significance it does not deserve.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The EU only want us for the money we pay in. Our attitude is at odds with a lot of what Germany and France want to do, and with the ultimate aim of the EU of becoming the USE with the Euro as currency.
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
It isnt up to him though, its just his opinion. You give it significance it does not deserve.
Significant enough to paint on the side of a bus. And as history tells you, us 'thickos' will lap it up.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Significant enough to paint on the side of a bus. And as history tells you, us 'thickos' will lap it up.
You arent really making sense now and seem to have a very large imagination.
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
You arent really making sense now and seem to have a very large imagination.
Thanks!
To be imaginative is to be inventive and original. If you enjoy coming up with stories, writing songs, or just thinking about things in new ways, you're an imaginative person. Great painters, musicians, and writers are imaginative. ... When you're imaginative, you can develop a unique solution to a problem or issue.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

You are right of course. I can't wait to see that £350 million a week we are going to save go to the NHS.
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
You are right of course. I can't wait to see that £350 million a week we are going to save go to the NHS.
The NHS needs to get some proper management in place before we give them any more money to waste.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The NHS needs to get some proper management in place before we give them any more money to waste.
How is money being wasted through poor management? It seems to me that with a simplistic statement like that, you know little or nothing about how the NHS is managed. Nor do you appreciate the complexity of such a system as the NHS. Governments for the last 30 years have been vowing to save money through efficiency savings in the NHS. All have failed. Maybe the NHS is actually very cost effective? It certainly seems that way when compared to other health services around the world. Healthcare is costly. You can't give the level of healthcare we get in this country for less despite what anyone might tell you. Privatisation hasn't worked. The only solution to save the tax payer paying is to make the patient pay like in the US and Europe.

Or, we can just increase the funding of the NHS by £350 million a week post Brexit as promised by the leave campaign!
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The chiefs in Brussels say a lot of things. Don't take Juncker and his cronies too seriously. Partiuclarly Juncker given he is pissed half the time.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How is money being wasted through poor management? It seems to me that with a simplistic statement like that, you know little or nothing about how the NHS is managed. Nor do you appreciate the complexity of such a system as the NHS. Governments for the last 30 years have been vowing to save money through efficiency savings in the NHS. All have failed. Maybe the NHS is actually very cost effective? It certainly seems that way when compared to other health services around the world. Healthcare is costly. You can't give the level of healthcare we get in this country for less despite what anyone might tell you. Privatisation hasn't worked. The only solution to save the tax payer paying is to make the patient pay like in the US and Europe.

Or, we can just increase the funding of the NHS by £350 million a week post Brexit as promised by the leave campaign!
The NHS is a classic example of diseconomies of scale.

Take for example the NHS Litigation Authority. In most large organisations including PLCs, litigation would be managed either by the Company secretary's team or the Company Solicitor's/Counsel's office with individual operational units providing input directly to external lawyers. The NHS Litigation Authority is a business employing 265 staff, whose only function is to manage the interface between NHS units and external lawyers. It has its own board and corporate structure with its own corporate strategy and business plan and 225 page annual report and recently went through a rebranding exercise. A relatively minor management function, managing the engagement of lawyers, has been turned into a business in its own right.

The same is true of many other NHS management functions.
Kokey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

New question: Should Britain join the USA as 51st state?

mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooo
quackk quackkk
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?

If you're quoting the bus slogan it wasn't promised, it was suggested.
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kokey)
New question: Should Britain join the USA as 51st state?

mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooo
quackk quackkk
Can't be worse than the undemocratic union were in now. I take it I'm debating with a 17 year old, wet behind the ears student.
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
No, it's up to the other 27 countries. And I'm sure they will be backing our demand that we keep our special rebate. Silly me.
Kokey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can't be worse than the undemocratic union were in now. I take it I'm debating with a 17 year old, wet behind the ears student.
Nope I’m 18 and dry behind the year ... I’m not big on politics I just like to comment on topics that are trending with clickbaity titles ... you know like this one 😬😂😂
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kokey)
Nope I’m 18 and dry behind the year ... I’m not big on politics I just like to comment on topics that are trending with clickbaity titles ... you know like this one 😬😂😂
Okay Kokey.
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
Looking at his job title I'm guessing he may have a big say.
The European Union’s budget chief Guenther Oettinger said on Friday Britain would lose its rebate even in the “pleasant but improbable” event of it staying in the bloc.
emilystorey101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

brexit is an actual **** idea people should of been more educated before they voted
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilystorey101)
brexit is an actual **** idea people should of been more educated before they voted
I wager you had little knowledge of the actual workings of the Single Market, Customs Union or the Irish Border before you voted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.21%
No (215)
76.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise