The Student Room Group

HMRC job interview for intelligence officer

I have a job interview for the intelligence officer role on Monday

Been told will be asked 3 compentcy questions

Leading and communication
Collaborating and partnering
Descriptions making

Does anyone know the questions actually asked under each heading?

I've been through the documents sent. But worried I'm not on the right part

Would be great full if anyone knows the questions asked

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by DailySauce
My interview is on Monday too.

I'm not entirely sure myself. What is your background?

Hi my background retail assistant
Reply 2
Good luck! I have one too next week. - Just try and cover all angles of the competency questions
Reply 3
Earliest postings are likely to be in Jan 2019 :/

Are you from a CS background, or did you just graduate?

Neither. I've been doing field work in prison. How about you?
Reply 4
What did you just graduate in? The January postings are crazy but even then you are not guaranteed to get a role then, it could be up to 12 months if you end up on the waiting list. All we can do is our best!
Reply 5
How did you receive your results on that? I have no clue haha!
Reply 6
That's OK! If you go to https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi then go to applications -> click on the job title -> then click on last tab feedback - it should show your results! Unless we applied for different jobs that are advertised under the same name?

Ooooh thank you! I shall look now. I don’t think they care though, on the interview pack they said the interviewers won’t have any information from your application- so I guess not? But I’m not certain
Reply 7
Earliest postings are likely to be in Jan 2019 :/

Are you from a CS background, or did you just graduate?

No from a retail background. I just not sure I have examples for the 3 compenties. Sounds more like they are klookin for people with supervisor or manager experience. Which I don't have
Reply 8
You only need one example for each as long as it's strong. As long as you hit each competency, you'll be fine!

I have one for each fingers crossed they can be used for the questions they asked.

Ive not been to an interview in 20 years. Whiccwas very different asked when I could start and what size uniform
Original post by Curlykent
I have one for each fingers crossed they can be used for the questions they asked.

Ive not been to an interview in 20 years. Whiccwas very different asked when I could start and what size uniform

Best of luck. What time tomorrow?
I applied for this role in Manchester! Currently on the reserve list for an interview, I scored 50% on my SJT. I got 97% and 92% on the verbal and numberical! Slightly gutted that they don’t seem to carry equal weight compared to the SJT.

Good luck to you all with interviews in the coming week or two.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Best of luck. What time tomorrow?

1pm

Good luck to you as well
Reply 12
1pm

Good luck to you as well

How was it today? Did it go well?
Reply 13
Original post by shan000
How was it today? Did it go well?

Really bad.so out of my depth. How did it go for you?
Reply 14
Really bad.so out of my depth. How did it go for you?

Oh no why! What’s your background again? - I haven’t had mine yet, it’s at the end of the week. What’s the structure of the interview? Does it really last for an hour?
Reply 15
That's OK! If you go to https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi then go to applications -> click on the job title -> then click on last tab feedback - it should show your results! Unless we applied for different jobs that are advertised under the same name?

How was your interview today?
Reply 16
Original post by shan000
Oh no why! What’s your background again? - I haven’t had mine yet, it’s at the end of the week. What’s the structure of the interview? Does it really last for an hour?

45 minutes

Retail background

My examples I thought of just did not work for the questions I had no other examples. Struggle to come up with those

I was ok with the general questions like

Tell us about yourself
Why do you want to work for HMRC
What are your strengths and weaknesses

But I just did not have the answers for the compentcy. I just don't have experience working in ways of looking at data. Researching. Making decisions.

It's a shame I really thought i would be great for the job

It's hard getting more experience when you can't pass an interview to get another job.
Reply 17
@DailySauce did you reply? I’ve received a notification but cannot see your reply
Reply 18
45 minutes

Retail background

My examples I thought of just did not work for the questions I had no other examples. Struggle to come up with those

I was ok with the general questions like

Tell us about yourself
Why do you want to work for HMRC
What are your strengths and weaknesses

But I just did not have the answers for the compentcy. I just don't have experience working in ways of looking at data. Researching. Making decisions.

It's a shame I really thought i would be great for the job

It's hard getting more experience when you can't pass an interview to get another job.

Just have a positive head- everyone so bad, and you might be the best “bad” candidate they had. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you
Reply 19
I did initially but I thought I would refrain from doing so since I did not want to be biased in my reply or give others an unfair advantage over those who do not have access to this information.

I can confirm, however, that you will be assessed on the requested competencies as well as presentation and delivery. Best of luck to all!

Oh no I didn’t want to know, I was just asking you how it went? Hope it went well!

Quick Reply

Latest