【Advice please】how should I get family friend to help refer me in consultancy Watch

TangledInStrings
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello everyone:

I am writing to ask for your advice on my current situation looking for a job, because I am struggling a little bit, first of all I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read this and share your suggestion.

[short version]
graduated with 2:2 economics with extenutating circumstances, academic performance affected by depression and family situation, have overcome depression just before the end of my degree and have learnt things from the experience. Have a variety of work experience not directly in banking or finance, but lots of project management related transferrable skils. cannot open up to family and friends about my situation, only told a few. There is this family friend who is a good person ,in consulting and willing to help refer me, how do I break the bad news to them, because all my family and friends automatically assume that I have minimum a 2:1 - which I believe i could achieve had I been without the circumstances. Will he not help me after knowing 2:2? will he tell all other family friends which will put my parent to shame...
TangledInStrings
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
[Long version]
I just finished my Economics degree at a top 10 British university; however, due to the impact of depression and family situation, I have managed to graduate a 2:2 (with university-approved extenuating circumstances).

I know that 2:1 is pretty much mandatory for jobs in the UK, and I have landed in a more difficult situation than the majority of my peers. Especailly in banking and consultancy, which I am interested in mainly.

On the plus side, I have overcome depression towards the end of my degree, and did enjoy the last semester a fair bit more.My attitude about this is, I would be willing to disclose my circumstances to employers, and get the message across that it did affect my academic performance negatively, but it wasnt purely a negative experience.

This is because through this experience, I have gained strength and learnt more about myself too, which I believe will strongly help my future career. And I do have little writing to focus on the mainly the positive things to put in the extenuating circumstances section.

another good thing is I always knew things wasn't right and wanted to improve. On the one hand, I seek advice from mental health professionals during term time; on the other hand, I did various differnt jobs and projects in the summers while at uni: I was project manager for an independent and international firm focused on entreprenuerial education; I worked with team members to lead summer courses at a prestigious school (not Eton, the other one); I was project consultant at a business consultancy firm in Asia; I was also assiatant project manager at a foreign film festival thanks to a friend...

While these experiences may not directly tie in to investment banking, they do emphasise on lots of the transferable skills which are highly useful in consulting, maybe a little bit in banking too? The thing that is holding me back is the 2:2 i feel, so many jobs say minimum 2:1

I havent been able to open up about his to my family and friends, only a few individuals Im really close with know about this. So weve done the background, heres the main bit:

I have a family friend who is a good person, working in consultancy for quite a few years, and he already said to me send my cv to him let him help me he can refer me...

But what he doesnt know is that I do not have a 2:1. he like many other family and friends naturally assumes I have at least 2:1, becasue I feel that what I would have achieved at least if it wasnt for the extenuating circumstances mentioned above.

So we've been texting, how should I approach him and this, how could I break to him that I dont have the 2:1... I feel scared thinking of this... what if he spreads the message to other family friends that will be a shock to them and a masive let down, as I havent told many about my depression at uni.

Would he refuse to refer me then, after hearing I have onlya 2:2.. gosh, im a little embarassed thinking about it..

I am facing massive pressure from my parent too, who are not emotionally supportive of my situation at all, and is ashamed of my results, haha... quite a heavy part of my stress and anxiety before have come from this parent. If family friends all know this would demage their face and reputation first of all according to this parent. I am sorry, I say it to me, to them, to you who are reading this...

Im not so sure of how to approach this and Im under massive pressure from parent too not having secured a graduate job... on the plus side, Im proud of myself to have made it through and graduated with something, and also leanrt from this experience. I feel that if I do get a job, some of the qualities and positivity I have developed through this will certainly help me do my job better.

Huge Thank you again to those who are taking the time to share their advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.81%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (137)
17.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.16%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.81%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.68%

Watched Threads