Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all

A few questions that I cannot find clear answers for:

What is the visa process for non Uk/EU medical students graduating from UK medical schools when applying for Foundation jobs? Do they have the ability to apply to any deanery just like home students? And do they have the same opportunities as UK doctors when applying for specialty training?
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am not on a tier 4 visa so can’t give details on that but I know people who are on such visas and and have had the same opportunities yes. The foundation job applications are blinded in that respect provided you have the right to work, insofar as I understand.

Post-Brexit though, who knows how things will be re the right to work. Things have already been toughened up a lot in the past few years. I have some ‘professional’ friends who are from outside the EU but studied in the UK and they have had visas denied because they didn’t earn enough, despite being in excellent jobs and arguably using their skills acquired in the UK, for the UK... I guess it is a very unstable time right now.
hslakaal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Post brexit: no one knows.

Currently:

Foundation programme - done on Tier 4.
CT1/ST1 jobs: Tier 2. Caveat: you are only exempt from the RLMT if you go from Tier 4 to Tier 2. i.e. no F3 year for you
ST3- : Tier 2, but when you apply, because you are not changing sponsor, you are not subject to the RMLT, Caveat: this applies only if you stay in the nation you did your core training in. i.e. If you did your CT in Scotland, you can't apply for jobs in England in Round 1.

Then again, by this point, you would have an ILR by long residence, if you weren't one of those Malaysian dudes who transferred.
Nikita Verma
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by hslakaal)

Currently:

CT1/ST1 jobs: Tier 2. Caveat: you are only exempt from the RLMT if you go from Tier 4 to Tier 2. i.e. no F3 year for you
ST3- : Tier 2, but when you apply, because you are not changing sponsor, you are not subject to the RMLT, Caveat: this applies only if you stay in the nation you did your core training in. i.e. If you did your CT in Scotland, you can't apply for jobs in England in Round 1.

Then again, by this point, you would have an ILR by long residence, if you weren't one of those Malaysian dudes who transferred.
Hi, thanks a lot for your clear answer! I was just wondering if you know what happens if one does decide to do an F3 year... what visa do you apply for and how long is it valid? Do you have to pick an NHS trust to be your sponsor?
I googled RMLT...it sounds like something that employers are subject to, rather than us employees. How does it affect us?

Any information you have would be really appreciated, cheers!
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by hslakaal)

Currently:

Does this situation regarding not being able to apply for LAT or F3 still applies after RLMT has been removed for all medical jobs on 6th October 2019?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (187)
29.13%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.51%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.03%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.41%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.94%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.94%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.92%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.12%

Watched Threads